• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Cinema 4D Lite support importing FBX files?

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried every FBX file I could, I've exported FBX files using every version of FBX available to me (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014) but every time I try to import an FBX file into Cinema 4D Lite (launched from AE CC, everything updated and current) I get a dialog with some options, then a second dialog with information about the available takes and animation length (which is must get from the file) and then I get an error message "Unable to read file <filename>".  Doesn't seem to matter what FBX I choose.  Every FBX file is readable by Autodesk's FBX Review app so I don't think it's the file(s).  Maxon's website seems to indicate that importing FBX was supported by the Lite version of Cinema 4D included with AE CC, but near as I can tell that's not true.  Am I missing something?  Is there some option I need to check or a specific way I should create an FBX file?  I'm running on Windows 7 64bit with current drivers and everything is updated.  I get the feeling this just doesn't work at all by design.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ANd export from where? You left out the most important info. That aside FBX handling sucks in Cinema 4D in either direction. Tons of bugs and not adhering to specs and instead using custom data types. A major nightmare. It may take a lot of experimentation to actually get it to work, if at all....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2014 Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried FBX files created from Motionbuilder 7, DAZ Studio, Lightwave 11.6 and some purchased FBX files (that I think were made in 3DS Max).  If the FBX file has anything complex Cinema 4D Lite will give the cryptic read error.  It definitely seems to come down to what is in the file.  If I put almost nothing into the file (simple textured obj) I have gotten it to read into Cinema 4D.  But some even fairly simple primitives will cause the error.  It's not so much the version of FBX file format but what is in it.  Having the ability to use FBX as a 3D file format in After Effects is very appealing, but Cinema 4D Lite doesn't appear to be a solution to that.  Perhaps the full version of Cinema 4D can read a wider range of FBX files, since the read error is definitely related to the content and not just the FBX version, but the Lite version errors out on pretty much anything worth reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2014 Nov 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt, did you find a solution for this issue?

I'm facing the same problems. I want to export an animated subject from DAZ3D to Cinema4D Lite.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I didn't find any solutions to this problem.  It doesn't appear if Cinema 4D is really all that good at working with FBX at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2014 Dec 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else come across any solutions to this? I'm trying to export some animation from Blender and thought FBX would be the way to go, but it errors upon importing into Cinema 4D Lite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I struggled with trying to import FBX to Cinema 4D Lite that comes with After Effects CC. I tried export settings from both Ipisoft and Brekel, and I just couldn't get C4D Lite to open it, with the same error message described here.

I downloaded and activated the Cinema 4D Studio demo (42 day trial) and it accepted and imported my fbx without any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here this is so dumb, you release Adobe fuse cc and partner with Mixamo, when we done with our animations on Mixamo we export using the format FBX, now we try to implement the animation in cinema 4d lite together with after effects

and it doesnt work and theres no fix around this?

like really can you get any more stupid?it should be tried and tested with all relating software BECAUSE ITS APART OF ADOBE SERVICES...

yawn i'll wait for a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah...weird that they roll this in, but it only works with studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Problems guys .... Oh Lord.... Any Updates jet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing with Mixamo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting fed up with Adobe I have got a subscription that I will cancel if this is not fixed.  They really are dumb.  Contract or no contract they ain't getting my money for rubbish software.  All is promised yet little is supplied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trying to do exactly the same thing, can't find any tutorials on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it is not like: they just want money and don't care.

even Octane and ORBX plugin for Otoy never worked after announced for a decade

they want it to keep you paying much but won't get Pro, hobbyists are cheaper and pay more

We'll have to go to Blackmagic Fusion or the Foundry Nuke, unfortunately.

Blender can help to an extent and they have the very expensive  Element 3d 

overall it is better to not count that they will ever implement it.

We have to think that the AE camera track is marvelous but after so many years 

we don't have a user camera track,  and few shots are untrackable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same problem, i can not import an animation from Mixamo (Adobe Fuse) to Cinema 4D Lite to use it in an After Effect project ! Is there an new issue ? Is Adobe working on this compatibility ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cinema 4D lite doesn't support character animations with bones...You'd need to upgrade to a higher version of Cinema 4D for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love if Adobe would fix this please. It sucks that Cinema 4D Lite can't do the one thing I'd potentially need it for most

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This utility may help you. It is a paid product. Trial version is available before purchase..

FBX to AE Pro - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly this is not free. Why should we pay for a plug in to get the two Adobe programs to talk to each other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Was all ready to use my Mixamo characters yet can't without buying a different program or plug in...GRRR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ddburton,

the problem is caused by the limitations of Cinema 4D LITE. This version doesn't support joints/bones. Mixamo delivers a fully rigged character mesh with backed keyframe animation for bones/joints. That's why you get this error message.
The plugin from AEscripts isn't a solution, because it only translates camera, light and null-object coords to the After Effects 3D world. This is something which already works fine with the Cineware plugin. But a mesh deformation is not possible with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How has this not been solved yet?? Im sitting here downloading a fully animated fbx file and when I open in c4d lite the character isn't even rigged. What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't Adobe's fault.  It's Maxon's.   C4D Lite is so crippled it's pretty much useless.   They have raised their prices on their apps and released "Lite" as more of a way for people to bring in C4D files from their overpriced apps into AE.   It's not really meant to be used for any real 3D work as they have removed most of the functionality.  Again.. this is Maxon, and not Adobe at fault here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem and

now 2019 and

still no answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this. bu it's not an answer but sill at the moment that's the only option I got to do my work. I made a small video using cinema 4d light version. everything went well until fbx problem happen. I download a character and use Adobe Maximo and export it as an fbx file. but Cinema 4d didn't except the fbx file. it shows a message like this.

clipboard_image_0.png

So what I did is. I open the file in 3ds Max. and then it works. I add a background a camera and a light in max and export my video from max. next I open the video file in After Effects. this is the only way I found. but I still wish I can open it in Cinema 4d.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines