• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hello, is there an effect that can help me randomise squares opacities?

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i have this image, see below, and what i want to do is to have these squares rotate in and then after have their opacity oscillate between 0-100, but have it randomise for each square.  I figured out to make them rotate in with card wipe, but i'm not sure if there is an effect that will help out opacity.  I could just do it by hand, but i'm curious if there is a faster way with a effect?  

Screenshot 2018-03-27 14.47.44.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

You could use the Fractal noise effect on another layer to generate a cube type image with random shades of grey. Then use that as a lumi matte for your main layer.

Steve

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 8.15.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 8.15.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this thread, CreativeCOW  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the Fractal noise effect on another layer to generate a cube type image with random shades of grey. Then use that as a lumi matte for your main layer.

Steve

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 8.15.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 8.15.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Steve, i didn't know you can use fractal like that.  Thanks a bunch.  I ended up following that thread, which used mosaic after fractal. But i guess that way of doing things is obsolete now if you can just do the same thing as you say. 

That is the effect i was going for. 

Thanks again.

Chris. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If each square within the precomp is an individual layer, you can apply a wiggle expression to the opacity of each layer.

Select one square layer.  Press T to reveal opacity.

Alt-click the Opacity stopwatch to create an expression, and type:

wiggle(1,100)

where 1 is the frequency of changes per second (1 change per second in this case), and 100 is the amount of change (from 0 to 100 in this case).

Then choose Edit/Copy Expression Only, select all the other square layers, and paste.

You can get much more fancy and use Expression Controllers to control these parameters more easily, but the basics are there in this example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines