Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need help with a live show effect

Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I know this is not a technical program but I have had to resort to asking after many failed attempts.

So I'm sort of new to after effects but I wanted to recreate the waving cube animation in the background of the intro on Jeremy Kyle's live show for a personal project.

Here is a video with the intro, look at the beginning:

Jeremy Advises a Nice Man to Leave a Notorious Cheating Woman | The Jeremy Kyle Show - YouTube

I have been looking all day long for any guide to anything similar but I haven't found anything,

So I attempted it myself and I haven't been able to yet.

Can anyone help me create this effect or have a guide that shows how to do it or is similar?

Thank you and have a whimsical day

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

rafaela51833885

Without a solid foundation, everything you attempt to build will fall apart.

To create something like that in AE you'll need a third party plugin like Element 3d or a particle simulator that can work with the 3D objects I'd recommend Stardust.  Then you'll need to learn how to use them & then you'll have struggle through trying to use them to create that effect inside AE.

Or.... It could quickly & easily be done in a 3d program like C4D (but any 3D program would do).

When I say "easy

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rafaela51833885

To create something like that in AE you'll need a third party plugin like Element 3d or a particle simulator that can work with the 3D objects I'd recommend Stardust.  Then you'll need to learn how to use them & then you'll have struggle through trying to use them to create that effect inside AE.

Or.... It could quickly & easily be done in a 3d program like C4D (but any 3D program would do).

When I say "easy" I'm assuming one knows the basics. Including but not limited to: how to apply materials to, how to light & how to

render the scene.

In terms of a guide to show how to do it  I would start with a complete overall introduction to C4D & then start venturing in to the

MoGraph module starting with the basics. Also how to apply materials, how to light, & how to render.

This will all be pretty frustrating & time consuming for a person who just wants to "recreate" this or that effect.

That would be because they are taking the wrong approach (in my opinion).

If they took a different approach it would be much easier.

If they approached it with the intention of learning C4D & Learning After Effects & they followed some sanctioned guided training

then they would naturally learn the basics of everything you need to know.

& they would see for themselves the multiple paths available to reach their goals.

Just out of curiosity...You said you attempted it yourself but failed?  What did you try?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Gutter-Fish said. This would be easy to do in Element 3D or Cinema 4D with MoGraph, but it's nothing you can nor would to with vanilla AE.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Pro may work for you.

3D Invigorator PRO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were comfortable with AE, you could do this within AE, without 3rd party effects by using the ray-traced features in AE. The only issue I see is in getting the glints to show up on individual cubes.

To accomplish this effect, I would use Shape Layer with Repeaters. Then remove the Shape Repeaters with the Shape Repeater Baker script (from Zack Lovatt). Then extrude one cube and apply Geometric and Material Options. Once happy with those settings; simply copy-paste the Geometric & Material Options settings onto the other cubes.
I would also use Expressions on each cube's y or z-scale to have the cubes extruding at different times, in a cascading manner.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, sorry for taking so long,

To Paul Michelle and Mylenium :

So it is true, its way easier to use a program designed for 3D animation.

I tried Element 3D, but that didn't cut it for me, so I opted out for the real thing.

When entering a new program I always make sure to know the basics (maybe even if its the very basics) and slowly but gradually venture into the more advanced features of such software. This is what I did in cinema 4d, in the form of watching people use it in tutorials and demonstrations, taking mental notes on what can help me with my animation, but still learning regardless, as to not frustrate myself by just concentrating on my goal and not learning the basics.

I made my own attempts and got very close, using cloners and stuff, but it was the answer to my own question on a c4d forum day that I checked a few days after posting it, that landed me to my animation goal.

Simply but effectively, the animation was done very quickly, the only ever problem was the mix of materials and lighting to get a nice enough animation that looks like the original. Let's not mention the render lol. Here you can view my result. Again, not the most perfect but it I liked it.

To answer your question your last question, I attempted things like adding grids, cloning a shape layer (which is close to what Roland Kahlenberg said), and anything I could think of.

To reply to ToolfarmJP and Roland Kahlenberg :

I tried both methods but at the end, I decided to use an actual 3d software, one because After effects lagged me a lot with the amount of 3D cubes and two because it was easier and more flexible in the actual 3d program.

Either way, thanks for the help!

Finally, I want to thank everyone for your contribution, I learned a ton. Have a nice year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You pretty much nailed it.. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good but I noticed a couple of pops at the top of a few of the pillars/cubes.

BTW, in AE, this would take about 10-15 minutes for the animation. The lighting etc would of course take more time.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Roland+Kahlenberg  wrote

That's good but I noticed a couple of pops at the top of a few of the pillars/cubes.

BTW, in AE, this would take about 10-15 minutes for the animation.

you're awesome

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines