• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Known issues with Adobe software on Mac OSX v10.7 (Lion)

Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See "Known Issues with Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion".

Here is an excerpt from the section about issues affecting all applications:

Files stored in Library

In  Mac OS 10.7, Apple has made the user Library folder hidden.  Preferences, presets, and other user customization settings are stored  within this Library folder.

To access your user Library folder:

1. In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder.
  2. In the Go To Folder dialog, type ~/Library
  3. Click Go.

For instructions on additional methods to make the user library folder visible, see the following document.

How to access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion

See "How to access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion" (cpsid_90947)

Java Runtime needs to be installed manually, otherwise applications may behave inconsistently

Many  Adobe applications are dependent on the Oracle Java Runtime Environment  (JRE) for some features to work. Apple recently changed the way it  includes Java in Mac OS, and with Lion, Java is no longer preinstalled;  it is now an optional install that the user must select.

Since  current Adobe installers and applications were built before these  changes by Apple, our software anticipates that Java is installed. Adobe  and Apple have worked together to ensure that you can install Java at  OS install time, or optionally at a later time before you install Adobe  applications. At runtime when you launch an Adobe application, you will  be prompted to install Java if it is not already installed. If you do  not install Java before running an Adobe application, there can be  missing or improperly behaving features. If you encounter any issues,  installing Java should correct the problems. Corporate IT organizations  should take care to preinstall Java (or make sure Java can be installed  through their firewalls/security) in order to avoid conflicts with Adobe  applications.

If the Java runtime is not installed, some issues that are known to occur include:

• Failures to launch
  • Prompts to install Java runtime when attempting to use the applications
  • Applications may hang on quit.

For additional instructions for installing the Java runtime see the following document.

How to install the Java Runtime (JRE) | Mac OS 10.7 Lion

See "How to install the Java Runtime (JRE) | Mac OS 10.7 Lion" (cpsid_90908)

Crash Reporter

Illustrator CS5, Illustrator CS5.1, InDesign CS5.5: Crash reporter doesn’t appear or only appears after long delays (10-15min).

Scrolling behavior opposite of expected

In  application scrolling may reach opposite of expected due to "Move  content in direction of finger movement when scrolling or navigating"  feature. To alter this behavior, deselect the feature at the top of the  Mouse section within the System Preferences.

Rosetta support no longer included with Lion

CS2  or earlier versions of Adobe products required Rosetta to run on newer  Intel based mac systems. These older versions will no longer be  supported as Apple removed Rosetta support with the 10.7 release.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any early adopters run into any AE CS5 or CS5.5 specific issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing so far on CS5 or CS5.5 for AE, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver.   The only app that I use every day that had to be upgraded was XCode...And it's been downloading for about an hour.

I'll go through the rest of the MC in the next few days to see if anything jumps out.  So far only installed on my MacBook Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is similar to Rick's.  Installed on a MacBook Pro, no issues so far with my primary applications:  After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator (all CS5.5), Final Cut Pro 7, Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any changes to Quicktime X or ProRes (if you guys use FCPX)? Is QT 7 still available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quicktime X has a few new features, including a trim capability, but still nothing like QT7.  It's export capabilities are all preset lowest-common-denominator options.

Quicktime 7 can still be installed using the installer on your Snow Leopard disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2011 Aug 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running After Effects CS5 10.0.2.4 in Lion, and the app won't hide. Another user on Creative Cow was experiencing the same thing with AE CS5.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2011 Aug 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same experience, which I hadn't noticed until I read your post.  After Effects C5.5 not hiding in Lion on a 17" Mac Book Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2011 Aug 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is CS5 on a Mac Pro, but yeah. Anyone NOT experiencing it, I wonder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you hide other Adobe applications on Lion, like Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, everything else that's CS5 (Photoshop, Premiere, Flash, etc.) hides, and also AE CS4 hides. AE CS5 is the only problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly are you trying to hide the application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command-Shift-H does nothing. Choosing the Hide After Effects menu command deactivates AE, but the interface is still visible, obscuring the Desktop. Clicking on the AE interface doesn't reactivate it either, but clicking the AE icon in the Dock does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this hiding issue been addressed? I'm still having the problem on my laptop and am about to upgrade to Lion on my desktop machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Has this hiding issue been addressed?

I am not aware of this being fixed in the recent Lion updates. There has been no After Effects update since this issue was discovered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having no issues with Lion. None, but then again I don't HIDE, never have. I use desktops or in previous versions, workspaces. It's efficient, quick, easy, and all Adobe apps I currently use seem to run just fine.

Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 9.07.45 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to mention that I have now installed Lion on my Mac Pro and AE seems to Cmd-Ctrl-H Hide as normal, so it is not a blanket issue unfortunately for the debuggers.

Edit: This behaviour has been reappearring over the last few weeks since I installed Lion.  AE sometimes doesn't hide properly.  Everything behaves as if it has hidden, eg. when I click on AE I flip into Finder or whatever application had a window at that point on the screen, but the AE interface remains visible.  The only way to get back to AE is click it in the Dock and then try Hiding again.  Sometimes it takes 1 or 2 go's to get it to hide.  Its a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2012 Jan 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this behavior is still occuring. AE CS5.5 in Lion (10.7.2) does not respond to Hiding either with a key command or from the Finder menu, regardless of whether I'm in the Finder or another app, regardless of the method used to navigate.

As someone else noted, it's visual. For example, if you try to hide AE, it thinks it's hidden, even though it's still in plain site. But clicking anywhere on the interface to take me back to AE does not work. I can only return to AE via the Dock or Command-Tab. Pretty irritating.

Basically it acts like a big facade over the desktop. Serious bug for those of us who switch programs frequently and need visual access to the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as noted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hiding bug is really annoying, I was assuming it had been cured in CS5.5 (I'm still on CS5) but if it is persistent it really needs addressing.  I've tried using Mission Control but it doesn't achieve the same, simple method of hiding the app in one keystroke.  Since all the other CS applications hide just fine, it must be something that Adobe can address without too much from Apple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed to find only one thing that works - using the Dock. Right clicking the AE icon in the Dock and selecting Hide makes it go away as desired. It's not the most efficient way of dealing with it, but for me it works.

Why there and not with a key stroke nor from the Finder menu is confusing, but maybe it can help someone track down the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a relief....at least there's one way of hiding AE.  Right-clicking in the dock works for me, too.

But please, Adobe, do something about the hiding issue in your next update.  I'm having the same problem as everyone else, running os 10.7.3 and CS5.5, and it's been maddening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stil problems .. crashes.. more now than ever.. with 10.7.3 update.

I am soo fed up with this... just lost more hours of work .. Adobe crash reports sent .. and never a reply.

Ridiculously long saving AE file still ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2012 Feb 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere also crashes constantly.  This is my first attempt at editing a video in Premiere after abandoning Final Cut, and I'm wondering whether I made the right decision.  I've lost a considerable amount of work because of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2012 Feb 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone having problems with Ctrl + h not hiding AE tried checking the "Use Systm Shortcut Keys" box in the General section of Preferences? I just did that and it works fine on all 4 of the computers that I have running OSX Lion 10.7.3. I prefer to use the application shortcut keys and the desktops available in Lion. It's a much cleaner way for me to work. See my post above.

Screen Shot 2012-02-24 at 4.18.55 AM.png

To arithmerock, Tell us something about your system. I'm running Premiere Pro CS5.5 with no problems on 4 macs from an black MacBook, to an old white first generation intel iMac to a shiny new Mac Pro. It even runs on my wife's latest generation Mac Mini. If PPro is constantly crashing on you there must be something wrong with a driver or a codec or a font or permissions somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines