• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low memory warning in After Effects 23.0 (2023)

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately 23.0 did not fix the issue for me on my M1 mac. It still only renders 2 frames at a time and gives the same error. If I revert back to version 22.4 it works perfectly but any subsequent update (including the 23.0 just released) has the playback issue.

Update: version 24.0 working much better!

I had various results with updates 23.1-23.6, most of them still occasionally having the issue saying it's out of memory or even black frames when rendering. It didn't matter if I had all plugins removed, fresh install, and no other programs running. I just updated to v24.0 and instantly started working like it used to before v23.0. RAM previews are loading right away and playing back in realtime speeds. I'll update if anything changes but so far they seem to have fixed the issues plaguing v23+ at least for me.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Hi all,

After Effects 23.1 contains improvements to memory management and fixes an issue that caused After Effects to show low memory warnings during preview. If you experience a low memory issue in After Effects 23.1, please create a new post for troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Hi Everyone - we've just made available AE 23.2x9 Beta which has 2 very important changes in it related to the low memory/5 frame rendering issue. We are looking for as many people who can reproduce this issue as possible to download the beta and to see if the issue is fixed. If we can get some confirmations, we'll push the fix into the upcoming 23.1 full release, but we really need as many people to try it out as possible.

You should be able to acccess the Beta from the Creative Cloud Desktop

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 316 Replies 316
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing! @FedeParodi 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Dont know if this is of any help, but on win 10 ryzen 9,  nividia 2070 new studio driver both ae and substance stager gpu renders result in BSOD or spontanious reboot. Stager cpu render was stable. AE render of same ae file also.

Honestly i dont know why i spend so much money on this s*!t. #Betaforever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @edddim,

It looks like your problem is different from what we are discussing in this thread. 

BSOD is usually caused due to driver conflicts. I'd suggest that you try a different driver version and see if that helps. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating the bios on aorus master x570 from 34 to 35 seems to have brought stability.

Windows 10 Pro 19044.2130, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, ram 64gb ddr4 xmp @ 3600, RTX  2070 super 8gb.,  The NVIDIA studio driver 522.30 seems to be incompatible with tho old Bios. Now I can use gpu rendering again in Adobe CC 2023.  good luck to all the rest of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render only 5 frames sitll NOT FIXED.

The problem still exists.

The only difference is you guys changed the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this with Version 23 / AE 2023? Is it a particular project, what are your memory settings, etc? We'd really like to fix this, but we need more details if you can help us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having major issues with 23. I've deleted it for now until this is resolved. Its totally unworkable for me. I have a new machine, no plugins installed, so not sure what the problem is. Its even on files created in new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'd really love to see those projects or get logs from you so we can figure out what's going on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue on my i9. Playback will not work. Nothing is rendering. I am on a quarter resolution at 4k. Basic kinetic type over footage. Nothing heavy. Tried relaunching, rebooting, etc. Then I tried wiping the cache, to have playback work pleasantly for about five minutes until back to the same issue. I tried resaving as a 22 file installing 22.6 to only have the same issue. This is crippling, because I truly cannot get anything done. 22.6 has no plugins installed, so I know it's not a plugin issue. 23 has a few basic plugins installed. Has served me just fine until today. Rendering is actually working faster than normal, so that's great. But no playback? I'm useless. Any workarounds would be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is back also on my end... everything is up to date after working with more intence project the error is more present. Have to revert to 22.5 till it s fixed.. this starting happening ever since 22.6 so what ever got changed is whats causing the memery issur and long render times very unstable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, I will install an earlier version then and hope that works. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.5 has been working smoothly all day! Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, 22.4 is the last version that was stable for me. If you keep having
trouble in 22.6, try 22.4.

Also, it seems from some other comments that the Maxon utility itself may
be causing some issues in some versions, so if you have that installed,
even if you're not using any plugins right now, be aware you may need to
update or remove that utility. I have been stable on 22.4 with the Maxon
utility installed, but other posters have other stories, so YMMV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been stable on 22.5, so I will stay here until I see otherwise. I'll look into the Maxon utility. Really hoping the next 23 updates will solve these issues. I'd love to use the new layer matte feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that the issues started up in 22.5. Back down to 22.2 at the moment, beause I am in a time-critical project and cannot keep trying the newer versions. Stable for the time being, but still having a strangely low performance randomly when it comes to playback. Wiping cache seems to make the speed return, but it's shortlived. Will be back to slow performance in about 15 minutes.

I have four scripts installed. Key Smith, Ease & Copy, Overlord & BeatGrid. No plugins. Incredibly frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Eric... maybe for the time being try to turn off multi-frame rendering and give more resources for background apps and lower your disk Cache size a little. I m hoping they figure out what they changed / Broke can t wait to use the matt features in v23 on a regular basis.. only thing missing is adding more then 1 matte as source 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since shutting off the multi-frame rendering, my speeds have been back to normal! Thanks so much for this suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm having trouble with low memory in After Effects. Yesterday I created several project with large video files without trouble but suddenly I keep on getting a low memory warning when I open the same projects and I can't figure out why. Even a simple project with just animating an image to move (position) I get prompted with the warning. I work on a brand new Macbook Pro M1, 16 GB RAM.

I've tried:

• Changing Memory & Performance preferences in settings
  • Purged Disk cache & Memory
  • Restarted computer
  • Reinstalled AE and updated to 2023 version

Any ideas?

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 15.55.47.pngScreenshot 2022-11-02 at 15.55.08.png

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 15.54.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are only giving AE 1 GB to work. This makes no sense. You need to increase the RAM allocation as high as you can. Other than that disable multiframe rendering. There's a known issue where the warning comes up despite enough memory because the background instances run amok.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure we know about any bugs where "background instances run amok". Multiframe rendering is only used when previewing or exporting a range of frames. Caches frames when idle will only use MFR in cases where there are more than 16 CPUs available. If you have some repro steps for what you're seeing with MFR or background instances running amok, we'd love more details. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues. It has been so annoying. I'm running a new M1 mac with AE 23.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue ever since I upgraded my Intel Mac to M1. Today I reverted back to 22.2.

What a change!

22.2 - No playback Ram issues. Render time reduced from 15 Minutes (AE Version 23) to 90 seconds (AE Version 22.2)

Still have all my plugins installed. The only difference is going back to an older version of AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to 22.6 and having the same problem. I'm on an M1 Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to see if rosetta mode helps with AE 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE 23 and AE 22.6  is the same engine problem they changed something after version 22.5 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines