Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mocha AE not working

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. 
Something is very wrong with Mocha AE after the update. Any time that I draw a path and then hit track forwards, the program freezes, shuts out of Mocha, and then After Effects starts "Not responding". When I go back to try it again, it gives me some kind of notification about opening a saved project under Mocha. What is going on? 

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Follow these steps:

1.- Check that you are using the latest version with the latest updates

2.- Enter into Mocha, delete previous cache files (File > Clear Cache inside Mocha). Also inside Mocha go to Preferences and deactivate GPU Processing under the GPU tab.

3.- Delete the After Effects cache. Edit > Purge > All Memoery and Disk Cache

4.- Try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

I just want to add that Ross from Boris FX offered help as well.  

Thanks to the Boris FX team for umping onboard to help solve this issue!

Note to the Mac user community:  SOLVED!  

The spinning ball, and "AE is not responding" message do not mean AE has crashed.

Just save your work in Mocha, and close the Mocha window to go back to work in AE.

Save your work in AE, and then reopen the Mocha window to go back to Mocha.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow these steps:

1.- Check that you are using the latest version with the latest updates

2.- Enter into Mocha, delete previous cache files (File > Clear Cache inside Mocha). Also inside Mocha go to Preferences and deactivate GPU Processing under the GPU tab.

3.- Delete the After Effects cache. Edit > Purge > All Memoery and Disk Cache

4.- Try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jose! It worked beautifully after I disabled the GPU Processing. Total mental meltdown at technology averted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I use track in Mocha  AE. The mocha window opes but I dont have the mocha icon on my effects controller.And this is the Mocha window i see.291352325_3478516109042472_520725989169899603_n.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, but the solution posted here didn't work for me. I can't even select the tool to draw a path. The Mocha window jumps around my desktop when I click  inside to select a tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaulthchwohygwkup,

Sorry for your issue.

Please create a new post with the following details so that we can troubleshoot the issue properly.

• What are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS version)?
  • What's the exact version of After Effects you're using?
  • A screen recording that shows the issue.
  • Does it happen with all the projects or a particular one?

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am experiencing a similar problem wit Mocha.  I start AE, click on my Mocha layer, click on the Mocha logo inside AE to open Mocha in another panel.  This loads what appears to be an indepoendent instance of Mocha, with its own save functions, but it is not actually a stand alone version of Mocha.  

Both AE and Mocha constantly crash, and are useless when paired together.  

It would really help if Mocha was a stand alone version for AE, so we could copy the AE layers or import into Mocha, shut down AE, do what we need to do in Mocha, and reimpoort them back into AE as rendered files.

Here is the problem:

The second Mocha launches, an annoying ad for their Particles software pops up.  I click the X to exit out oif the ad, and then a popup window appears to a browser, offering video tutorials.  I click to exit, and suddenly, I get the spinniumg ball in AE.   Now, AE has frozen, and crashes.   I can still work in Mocha on another screen, track an object etc., thinking Mocha workld just fine.  However, when I try to save the work I just did, Mocha crashes, saying there is no associated reference file.  Nothing is saved.

I only made this mistake once, but i am making others aware of this so they don't waste time thinking Mocha works independently of AE, after it crashes.

I have gone into both app preferences, deleted cache, relocated my cache storage to an SSD drive with more than enough space, deleted preferencers, unchecked GPU etc.  Nothing works.  Mocha is completely useless.

So, I contacted Boris FX for Mocha support.  They refused to help, because I am not a Pro Mocha user, and rudely pointed me to the AE forum, where we sit and spin forever, because nobody has an answer that fixes the perpetual Adobe bugs.  

The same thing happened with Maya AE, which makes me think these are just deliberately bugged teaser apps to  frustrate us all into buying the pro versions.  No way in hell am I paying $1200 per year for Maya if it works like crap in AE, or $249 for Mocha if Boris FX doesn't give two hoots about millions of Adobe customers, because we don't pay for their pro versions.

So, it looks like I am back to spending countess hours tediously rotoscoping with Adobe's outdated, archaic, amaeature rotoscoping tools.  PS Adobe censored me for using the word s**t.   Geez, what are you, three years old?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Boris FX support. If you would like to email me (RossS (at) BorisFX (dotcom), I can try and get a solution for your issue.

Please note that Boris FX takes customer support very seriously and the large majority of After Effects users that use Mocha AE are quite happy with the plugin. The shipping Mocha AE is certainly not a "bugged, teaser" like you suggest and the in-app pop-ups that share tutorials can be set to not show on next launch. 

Lastly, if you launch Mocha AE and are worried about saving, you can save the .mocha project independently of AE project file by using File>Save As inside Mocha AE.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ross,

Thanks for replying.   I have been quite frustrated, as you have seen.  I will email you, and reference this post in the email.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please find this thread from the Mocha AE forum on Boris FX that might help solve your issue: 

https://forum.borisfx.com/t/mocha-ae-will-not-start-after-fresh-install/13318/19

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to add that Ross from Boris FX offered help as well.  

Thanks to the Boris FX team for umping onboard to help solve this issue!

Note to the Mac user community:  SOLVED!  

The spinning ball, and "AE is not responding" message do not mean AE has crashed.

Just save your work in Mocha, and close the Mocha window to go back to work in AE.

Save your work in AE, and then reopen the Mocha window to go back to Mocha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE version.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't post exactly where I wanted it, but this is the AE version I am using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having isues with Mocha AE. It seems very buggy and I am reluctant to use it anymore. I cerytainly would not pay for Mocha Pro if Mocha AE is so unstable. I have done the things suggested below but keep having problems.

1. There is small window saying "Mocha is Starting" that does not go away or close

2. It often stops tracking and will not restart
3. It sometimes will not save a project and the Tracking data

Overall, my experience so far has been it is too unreliable.

I am using the Latest version of AE and Ventura as at 12 Dec 2022. I am using a Mac Studio with 32Gb Ram

Does anyone else have similar issues? Are they Known issues and are likely to be addressed soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Mocha AE and Mocha Pro are generally very stable applications and are used daily by professional VFX artists. I would recommend posting in the Boris FX Mocha forum found here to get support: https://forum.borisfx.com/c/mochaae/5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines