• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resetting the orbit camera position to its default view

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's crazy how many people have asked this question and all the replies are that "the question makes no sense" I'm almost having a breakdown how it's such a simple question and no one seems to answer it.

Let me go step by step so people don't give me the same answer and this can finally be resolved.

Step 1: Select the orbit camera tool.

Step 2: Move it around to see what my image looks like.

Step 3: This is where i am having the issue. All i want to know is how to position the camera to the original front position as it was before I even played with the camera view. That's it... just want to know how to reposition the camera to the default position like i never touched the orbit camera tool. Please someone tell me they have the answer to this!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see any answers here, did you post this in another thread? If you want to reset your camera simply press UU

so you collapse the modified properties and right click on them ->reset on the properties. This is if you are in active camera view. If you want to reset any other view it’s in the view->reset 3d view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great timing Roei! 😉

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was race to state the obvious...:)

And to boot we all understood the question

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I won... Just sayin’  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei, didn't you read the latest Admin Directive? It says all posts should include at least one screen capture AND there's a double-bonus if a shortcut is provided in a reply - even if the shortcut doesn't exist. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn’t get the memo... I am using a mobile so can’t do screenshots, I did mention a shortcut that DOES exist and generously giving assistance while on vacation in a hotel in the Sinai Desert at 3 a.m - any bonus for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed there is a bonus for providing a correct answer [even though mine is better ;-)] while on holiday in the Sinai Desert, at 3AM, while on vacation. This new directive is exceptionally complete - it's also 25,262 pages!

You will receive 250 bonus points which will be 'donated' by GutterFish. The new directive also stipulates where the bonus points come from - since Gutterfish was the third person to post; he is deemed to be late with his reply. Hence he has been selected to willingly donate 250 points from his account, into your account.

Happy vacationing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand this correctly, hitting reset in the transform does not reset the camera.

Also, if you do not create a camera, but create a 3D solid then use the orbit camera tool hitting reset will do so just once.

If you move the solid around more, hitting reset will not do anything.  Perhaps another bug...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original poster had asked, specifically, how to reset a Camera that has been used with the Orbit Tool. Why is there a need to assume there is no camera? Lastly, why does resetting the Camera's Transforms not complete the reset? What issues are you having? What happens when you click on the Camera's Reset option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

craigi35826625  wrote

Also, if you do not create a camera, but create a 3D solid then use the orbit camera tool hitting reset will do so just once.

....Perhaps another bug...?

Perhaps, but not with After Effects,

The orbit camera tool does not even work on a default cameras.  You MUST create a camera for the tool to even function.

So if you haven't created a camera you can't be using the orbit tool which leaves wondering what you are actually talking about?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Roland+Kahlenberg  wrote

since Gutterfish was the third person to post; he is deemed to be late with his reply. Hence he has been selected to willingly donate 250 points from his account, into your account.

Happy vacationing!

Damn!!   That's what I get for being so wordy with my responses. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do u collapse the modified properties and right click on them 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the "Reset" option in the Timeline?

You can create a shortcut to this reset feature in the Keyboards Shortcuts Visualizer - I've set mine to SHIFT+Z.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it works. Thks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it hard to believe this simple question has never been answered or understood.

I even find it a tiny nit surprising that it even gets asked because twirl open the camera options there's a bright blue word that says "reset"

camera.jpg

Also as is the case with any property in After Effects you can right click and choose reset.  That way if you wanted to reset only some properties but not all you easily could.

This is fairly basic stuff.

And also even a cursory skimming of the Camera settings in the help would've give the answer to those who failed to notice the bright blue button.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to have a camera layer to use the Orbit tool. Hit "Reset 3D view" in the View menu. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much bro!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! That was the answer i think Dion1986 was looking for (and me!). This is right, you don´t need to have a camera in the composition to use the new orbit tool in cc2021, (of course, you needed a camera in previous versions to use the tool but not in CC2021) but once you have used it, there seem to be no way to reset it, because theres no camera to reset its transform properties. Damn, it was so obvious going to View menu... Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup this is the answer I was looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god it´s just impossible to find the reason why my elements looked so weird.

Thank you so much finally got the solution!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're cool, I read all the rubbish, you're the only one who understood what people might ask for, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is ridiculous no one do not teach that someone needs to know. oky first right click on your camera layer then click camera reset camera. that will do 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See answer above... the issue is how to reset the 'camera' when there is no actual camera layer – sometimes you just want a pre-comp containing 3d elements and no camera layer 👍. If you use the orbit tool in a comp with no camera layer it still adjusts the 3d view of the scene. If you got to 'view -> reset 3D view' it fixes the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View>Reset Camera View if you aren't using a camera and are using the Orbit Around Cursor tool. Perhaps you're using the word "camera" and not "view" and that's what's causing the confusion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines