• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rotate an anchor point

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, first you must know it's my first project on AE. 

Im trying to make a new logo rotating. But I can't find any information about how change the angle of the axis. 

I want to make my rotation by the axis in red in my screen here : Illustrator_VVE10DnDml.png

How it is possible ? 

Thank's for your help. 

TOPICS
FAQ , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Ok, so we're getting closer.  Are the ellispses rotating in 3D around the central axis or is the motion 2D?

If it's 3D, you can make your ellipse shapes 3D, parent them to a 3D null and keyframe their Y rotations.  And use the 3D null's Y rotation to set the axis angle.

3d shapes.PNG

If it's 2D, I'm going to need an example or maybe a couple of sketches, as I can't picture what you're after from your description.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the simplest way to achieve this is through null objects and parenting.

create a null object and key frame it to rotate.  Then add your logo at a distance from the null object and key frame it to move closer.   Then parent it to the null object.  The logo will orbit the centre and the key framed move will give you the elliptical path you're after.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thanks for your replie. 

I'm a bit lost, as i said it's my first time with AE.. Sry for my lack of knowledge. 

I got the null object and i key frame it to rotating on Y. 

But i do not uderstand what you mean "your logo at a distance from the null object and key frame it to move closer." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the columns in the timeline is the parent column.  You can add your logo to the timeline and then set it to have the null object as its parent.  The logo will then rotate based on the null object's rotation.  If you move the logo away from the null object, it will orbit it.  You can then use keyframes to set the movement on one direction, and this will create an elliptical orbit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean like this tutorial ? 

If yes, it's not what I need. I need each ellipse to rotate on itself with the areas circled in red as an invariant point on the screenshot shared previously.

Imagine that the red line is a spade. The spike crosses my shape but not perpendicular to the ground. like this object : 

chrome_JWlc7w11dN.png

But in my case it's not a sphere but an ellips 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fake 3d orbits. What's the difference between a sphere and a circle anyway? It renders fast, sets up in seconds, and so long as you don't need shading, it's good enough for a particle sprite! It's simple shape orbits in under 5 minutes! Airhorn noise! This is a response to the many viewers who ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so we're getting closer.  Are the ellispses rotating in 3D around the central axis or is the motion 2D?

If it's 3D, you can make your ellipse shapes 3D, parent them to a 3D null and keyframe their Y rotations.  And use the 3D null's Y rotation to set the axis angle.

3d shapes.PNG

If it's 2D, I'm going to need an example or maybe a couple of sketches, as I can't picture what you're after from your description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is 3D, by your screen i understand a lot better !! i was lost by the way to manipulate the axis. 

Thanks dude you are the man ! I need to experiment a bit more the placement but it will be all right i guess !

Thank's a lot for the time spent for me !! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines