• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

script to create null objects from .csv file

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I'd really like some help with this, I need to create null objects with names and position values from a .csv file, working with external data is not something I've done a great deal of

I've got a .csv with 146 entires, column 1 is x position, column 2 y position and column 3 a name

I've imported the .csv, AE can see the data, I know I can call specific fields with "footage("data.csv").dataValue([1,1])" for example, but can I write a script that will create 146 null objects with x,y and name data from each row of the csv file?

TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if I can get the expression to dynamically update when I duplicate the layer that will be the easiest way

So I create one null object with an expression to call the position data from the first line of the csv file:

X = thisComp.layer("data.csv")("Data")("Outline")("x")("x 1");
Y = thisComp.layer("data.csv")("Data")("Outline")("y")("y 1);
[X, Y]

and if I create a variable based on the layer index number I can use that instead of the row number

var idx = thisLayer.index;
Z = idx;
X = thisComp.layer("data.csv")("Data")("Outline")("x")(Z);
Y = thisComp.layer("data.csv")("Data")("Outline")("y")(Z);
[X, Y]

So now if I duplicate my null 146 times, the top layer calls for Row 1 of the data file, the second layer Row 2 and so on

Not perhaps the most beautiful solution but it works so I've shared it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well done!

That's the most straight forward way using expression.

To create null objects from the *.csv data, you will need a script. Expressions cannot create objects, just manipulate the ones which are already there.

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines