• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

selecting text with cursor omits last character

Engaged ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using my cursor to highlight text, the last character will always be omitted from the selection. See my example video. AE version 22.2.0, Windows 10, latest Nvidia Driver 

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

This discussion is a duplicate of cant-select-last-letter-in-a-line-of-text-after-effects which has more current status.

Summary: a fix is available in the current Beta build for 23.0, it will be available in the next full release when it becomes available. See above link for more information if you desire it.

It has been a frustrating problem for many customers, software engineers as well. I believe it to be resolved and we have had no negative reports from internal or beta users, though th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you need to select just the last character, this double click does not help in any way. Adobe needs to get their priorities in order before more of us jump ship. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The post is about the last character being left out of the selection when we click and drag across the characters.

Are you having a different issue?

If clicking and dragging just the right most character is not working as expected, click to the left of the last character on the right and then press shift right arrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad this is being looked at as its a massive pain in the butt!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this does not help with needing to delete the last character or continue typing.. how on earth has this not been resolved yet???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michaelc29789176 

Clicking to right and adding more characters or deleting the right most character should not be affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to click beyond the last character 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And deleting preferences also has not worked for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try double-clicking the Text Layer name.  That should select the entire line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is, we don't always want the entire line.

This is a simple function of PC's since windows came out in 1985, probably earlier on Mac's. We shouldn't be using work-arounds on the basics.  Really dissapointing it has not been addressed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BrettHowe 

Brett, the issue in this thread has to do with the last character being left unselected when we click and drag across text.

Are you having an isue where you cannot select less than that?  Selecting a shorter set of characters shouls still work as expressive, like for replacing a word in a sentence or correcting a typo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that clicking and dragging across the line of text omits the
last character. Also, clicking after the last character is impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add that whenever I start typing, the first character is always omitted. 

This is in addition to not being able to place the cursor after the last character to continue typing, nor dragging to hilight all of the text without omitting the last character.

Major issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens for me also.... major pain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with text is an integral part of AE. This is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1! Also unable to click beyond last character, highlight last character, or use the shift+ right arrow trick as described. Makes working with text super frustrating. PLEASE FIX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you ever going to fix this problem. You act like you don't even know about it.  It's been well over 30 days since the last update that did not fix it!!  Do I sound frustrated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone from Adobe could even acknowledge that this is an issue and that they're working on it that would be great. 

This is making my job a lot worse than it needs to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michaelc29789176 

Adobe employees have been responding to this thread on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must’ve missed that. Has anyone said anything useful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. There's been some hacks to be able to slect thigs but it's still convoluted. And I'd go further and say they acknowledged this back in February but the fact that it's still an issue doesn't fill me with confidence that it'll be fixed any time soon. I'm sure Figma users can't wait for the first set of bugs Adobe introduces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select things*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion is a duplicate of cant-select-last-letter-in-a-line-of-text-after-effects which has more current status.

Summary: a fix is available in the current Beta build for 23.0, it will be available in the next full release when it becomes available. See above link for more information if you desire it.

It has been a frustrating problem for many customers, software engineers as well. I believe it to be resolved and we have had no negative reports from internal or beta users, though that is not always definitive, so expecting good reports when it  goes live in the next full release.

Douglas Waterfall

After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing that with me Douglas. Good to hear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem here is that not all of us like the new features in 23.x. I, and many others I know still use 22.6 for this very reason. So... please, update 22.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines