Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Solution for 'blank frame' during Time Remapping loopOut() looped comp

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been going crazy looking for a solution to how to solve the 'blank frame' glitch when creating a looping composition using the loopOut() expression.
I tried the current/previous solutions which involved adding a keyframe on the penultimate frame or manually setting the final keyframe value -1 frame. These worked, but I was still getting a visible animation glitch happening.

My final solution, for a perfect loop with zero visible glitches or blank frames, was to open the pre-comp layer (the original composition that you're trying to loop) and for every layer that reaches the final frame, drag it beyond the end. These layers may appear to run to the very end of the comp and appear as though they reach the final frame, but manually dragging the end of the layer 'off' to the right of the comp was what was needed for that final 'missing' frame to show in the precomp loop.

So, starting with a Time Wrapping comp that is showing a blank frame:

1. Double-click the comp to show the contents

2. Scroll to the final frame

3. Drag all layers to the right 'beyond' the final frame

Hopefully, that blank frame has now gone.

LoopOut.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using time remapping the last keyframe is placed at the end of the last frame or start of no frames. That's why you get a blank frame.

• The workflow is very simple
    1. Select the footage layer or the nested comp
    2. Press Alt/Option + Ctrl/Cmnd + t or use the Menu to enable Time Remapping
    3. Press k then Ctrl/Cmnd + left arrow to move to the last keyframe then back one frame
    4. Click the diamond icon in between the previous and next keyframe tool in the timeline to set a new keyframe at the start of the last keyframe
    5. Press k to move to the last keyframe and click the diamond icon again to delete the last keyframe
    6. Alt/Option + click the Time Remapping stopwatch to create an expression and type loopOut()
    7. Click anywhere in the comp panel or timeline to complete the expression
    8. If you need to extend the out point of the footage or comp layer do so now

That's all there is to it. To make a seamless loop for any property the first and last frame of the loop must be identical but the last keyframe must be set one frame before the identical last frame. For example if you animated position with 3 keyframes set to these values:

• 960, 0
  • 960, 540
  • 960, 0

and you wanted to make a perfect loop you would move the CTI (time indicator) to the last keyframe, then back 1 frame and set a new keyframe making 4, then add your loopOut() expression. It works every time, with every property. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this has been posted a while ago, but i just found the EASIEST solution of all ( and possibily the reason for the glitch). I too had my last frame disappear, tried many methods and none seemed to work, until I changed my composition framerate from 23.976 to 24fps. I think the drop-frame is causing the issue with the expression.

So, TLDR, try putting the framerate of the looped composition at a number without decimals, 8, 12 or 24 for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in 30 fps and it still does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8 steps is not a "simple workflow" this should be able to simply be fixed by a button. plus this doesn't even work IN THE NEWER VERSIONS. "Expert" please help and give a good answer to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rick Gerard Perfect!  Got it working, followed the steps exactly as it's layed out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me but found an easier one, at least in my case:

Duplicate first frame inside comp (one extra frame). Add time-remap but add a keyframe one frame before the end and delete the last one. Add loop, cut first frame of the comp and move left one frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't understand how something so simple and fundamental to Animation like Looping just doesn't work in AE. I do a lot of Animation in other Software and it's astonishing how buggy this "Industry Standard" is. And what's even more frustrating, there is no way of expressing this frustration towards Adobe. There is no way to leave a public review or a Rating, so you find yourself ranting in some community thread about how to make the simplest thing just work. And when the community expert thinks a 8 step workflow is simple, for sth that should basically require one click, it's pretty apparent that the software and workflow is fundamentally flawed. No disrespect, just frustration about a corporation that has a lag of competition and therefore no apparent ambition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am beyond done with After Effects and Adobe. They are a predatory, sketchy company focused on sucking your bank account dry, making it insanely difficult to leave their ecosystem, and providing unstable, unuseable products. What is worse is that everyone has a different solution to this blank frame problem and so far none of them have worked for me. I am in need of better alternatives to AE. Good-bye and good riddance Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So What I've figured out was loopOut() doesn't work in whole number frame rates... for some reason. I was working in 30 fps and my comp would go blank for TWO frames, not just one. When I switched it to 29.97 fps it didn't do any skipping. Fix it adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never Mind. Rendered it out and still didn't work. Adobe please fix this problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your solution with others who may be experiencing the same issue. Your advice could be very helpful to someone who is struggling to create a seamless loop in their composition.

Best of luck with your future animation projects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried that. Did not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines