• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trapcode Particular affecting 3D object imports.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trapcode plugin in After Effects seems to be affecting my ability to import 3D objects directly into After Effects (Not Cinema4D), obj, gltf files etc.

I'm trying to import a 3D object into After Effects, but all I see when I import the .obj file, is a message saying '3D Model for use with Trapcode'. Is this a bug, or am I doing something daft?

Can anyone please advise on how to fix this which doesn't require uninstalling Trapcode?

I'm using After Effects 23.6 and I have the latest version of Red Giant installed.
Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

We still have a bit more work to do on the 3D object import and rendering before it moves out of the beta apps. Hard to know exactly when we'll be done with that just yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Hi @rich-on-the-line,

Thanks for reporting this issue. 3D model import is currently only supported in the Beta version of After Effects, available in the Beta section of the Creative Cloud app. Do you see this same issue if you install and use the Beta version? 

Thanks again for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rich-on-the-line,

Thanks for reporting this issue. 3D model import is currently only supported in the Beta version of After Effects, available in the Beta section of the Creative Cloud app. Do you see this same issue if you install and use the Beta version? 

Thanks again for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @JohnColombo. I've downloaded the beta version and it does seem to work. Any idea as to when the 3D import feature will be fully implemented into After Effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We still have a bit more work to do on the 3D object import and rendering before it moves out of the beta apps. Hard to know exactly when we'll be done with that just yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, even in the latest release (AE24.1.0). I tried disabling trapcode plugins at startup, does not help. Very disappointoing, as we all wait for this feature since forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OBJ support has not moved out of Beta as yet. Only GLB and GLTF, so you're likely to still have Trapcode being the support for OBJ in 24.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it's the same problem with GLB and GLTF...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, we'll take a look then and see what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maxon suggested to switch AE from german to english, and I think it might actually have to do with the language settings.

I tried switching the languages (with a beta version of AE, because switching completely destroys all my settings, shortcuts and workspaces)

1.) After switching to english the 3d model Import worked correctly.

2.) When I opened the file in the german AE Version, the already imported 3d files worked, but when I tried to import another file I had the same problem again.

3.) After switching the beta Version back to german, I again could not import 3d files correctly as before.

BTW: Is there a way to switch languages without losing all my settings and workspaces?

best,

christof

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest uninstalling the Red Giant stuff, see if the problem persists. If it goes away, then reinstall the Red Giant stuff and try again. Should be good.

If you uninstall and are still seeing the issue, contact Maxon support (at support.maxon.net and file a ticket) and they may be able to help out  - perhaps there's an old component from an earlier version that is sticking around and causing the message to pop up or something. 
I'm not seeing the issue and I have the latest Trapcode installed too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you tell us the versions of Particular you have installed and also upload a video of importing a GLB and adding it to a comp? We're in discussions with the Red Giant team to find out where this could be occuring because it isn't happening to every user with Particular installed..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Its the latest Version of the Trapcode Suite (2024.0.2)

I also contacted Maxon about this issue. Pls. find the video of the import attached, the outcome ist the same, when I import it via the "import..." command in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you switched to the Advanced 3D renderer in the composition settings? That's required for AE's built in GLB/GLTF support to kick in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I switched right now, still no difference I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I finally tried uninstalling Trapcode suite, did not help. After re-installing I manually removed the "TrapcodeOBJ.plugin" from Plugins > Format > Trapcode Folder. Now it seems to work, as well as the trapcode plugins as far as I tested them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

I uninstalled Trapcode but it doesn't work. 

Then I removed manually the "TrapcodeOBJ.plugin" from Plugins > Format > Trapcode Folder and the OBJ still doesn't work but importing GLB works.

I'm running AE 24.1 and Trapcode 2024.1 on a Mac Studio Ultra, Ventura 13.5.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because.obj importer is still in beta. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted in error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. But when I change the Import-Dialog to "All Files" and then select "3D-Model" as the Format After Effects seems to understand that I don't want to import the GLB or GLTF file for Trapcode. 
Unfortunately the send to After Effects command from Substance Painter still did not work because the file is interpreted as a Trapcode Model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting; I actually never tried to import it via the import dialogue... I always use drag & drop. 
manually removed the "TrapcodeOBJ.plugin" from Plugins > Format > Trapcode Folder, that solved the whole issue for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! It worked for me that way.

In the Import-Dialog "All files" and then select "3D-Model".

Thank you! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines