• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to Open Preferences Crashes After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently unable to perform any work because my preferences are completely inaccessible in After Effects version 23.0

I rely on a group of plugins that do work in this (and prior) versions, but they require me to edit some of my preferences. I'm unable to access them at all to change them, even regular parts of my workflow that don't rely on plugins involve some custom preferences.

What happens?:

- Any means of attempting to open preferences in After Effects (via a dialog box or via the Edit > Preferences dropdown) results in After Effects instantly becoming unresponsive and needing to be closed forcefully

Things I've tried:

- Reinstalling After Effects

- Removing all plugins and scripts from After Effects

- Using an older version of After Effects

- Resetting the preferences on load (deleting preferences file)

- Clearing my Adobe Data

- Reinstalling creative cloud

- Restarting my computer

- Using Revo Uninstaller to remove every single After Effects file

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

NVIDIA GPU Drivers causing hangs on import and unexpected behavior: Some editors have reported problems with the NVIDIA Studio Drivers v.526.98. Roll back the drivers to v.522.xx or earlier to restore system stability.

My problem solved with the rollback to VGA driver to V522.25

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting it. Can you send us a log file from After Effects so we can see more details about the app's activity?

1. Inside After Effects, select Help > Enable Logging
  2. Restart After Effects as prompted
  3. Perform the actions that cause After Effects to crash.
  4. Launch After Effects and go to Help > Reveal Logging File.
  5. Share the "After Effects Log.txt" file.

Feel free to DM me if you do not wish to share the file publicly.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got bad news today, you can no longer installed (re-installed) Nvidia Driver 3.21.036 (the last driver to worked without Adobe crashing). "Nvidia Installer cannot continue" is the popup window. You can't rolled your driver back that far, you have to used some of the most current drivers, which will caused Adobe Preference Tab to crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since nobody else have responded to this, I decided to follow these steps since I have the same problem. This is the log file. I hope there can be a solution to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by switching from the Game Ready to the Studio Driver... So it looks like it´s an NVidia Driver Problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't work. From my understanding, Game Ready and Studio Drivers are exactly the same driver, the only difference is Studio Drivers are "better tested" and "less frequently released". As of right now, both are at 537.42.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I don't know if this is a solution or a work around, but I've downloaded the "BETA" versions of Premiere and After Effects, no problem with opening the preference tab with the latest Nvida Gamer and Studio Driver 537.42. I find the Beta versions to be just find, but it's a tad slower, for example, it does not like DJI Codec, even in proxies, some will play, some will not, so running it through an encoder helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines