Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import MP4 (H.264) files after updating to After Effects 17.0.5

Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to After Effects 17.0.5, some users have reported that After Effects is unable to import H.264 and H.265 files.

It looks like there is some confusion around this issue and I'd like to provide more clarification:

• H.264 and H.265 import support haven't been removed. This is a bug and we're working on it.
  • For now, I'd recommend that you reinstall After Effects 17.0.4 (steps provided below).
  • If you don't want to reinstall After Effects 17.0.4, you can transcode the files using Adobe Media Encoder into a different format.

In order to help our teams fix this quickly, we need your help. Please provide the following information so that I can take it to the engineering teams.

• What version of Premiere Pro are you currently using, the one which does import footage?
  • What version of After Effects were you using before you updated to 17.0.5?
  • Where do you store your footage? On a networked drive like a NAS or locally?
  • Would you be able to share your System Information file and some sample media files with us? If so, please follow these steps to obtain the System Information file:

macOS:
Follow the steps given in this article: https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203001

Windows:
1. Hold the Windows key and press R to open the Run window
2. Type msinfo32 and click OK
3. From the System Information window, go to File > Save
4. Save the file as .NFO

After collecting the System Information file, upload it to a cloud sharing service like Google Drive, Dropbox or Adobe Creative Cloud Files and share the URL in the comments below.

Here is how you can reinstall After Effects 17.0.4.

Reinstalling After Effects 17.0.4 from the CC desktop appReinstalling After Effects 17.0.4 from the CC desktop app

Original community discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/can-t-import-videos-after-updating-to-17-0-5-build-16/t...

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Rameez Khan

Community Manager and Social Support Strategist, After Effects

TOPICS
FAQ , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

I just got the notification and updated, the problem is fixed... thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that but unfortunately I still don't have that option.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 1.21.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure you have the latest Adobe Creative Cloud app. See image below for my Adobe CC version.

Which OS are you using, which Adobe CC version and which Adobe AE version(s) do you have installed?

AdobeCC_Version.PNG

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see the "other versions" button now!

I initially was going onto my Adobe account ONLINE rather than actually opening up the Creative Cloud app on my Mac. I will try the reinstall and see if this fixes my problem. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you managed to resolve your issue? It's good that others know a solution has been provided, from a user.

And perchance, are you from either Malaysia, Singapore or Taiwan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wtmlnz,

Please send your Adobe ID to me via a private message. I'll check why you're not able to reinstall a previous version of After Effects. 

Thanks.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I faced this problem yesterday and I converted the video to more than one format and it did not all work but when I converted it to AVI it worked normally.

I wish you good luck 🙂 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know.

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those transcoding the files, I have found there's no need to...  just rename the extension to .AVI and After Effects is able to import the file with no problems. Maybe this can be of help in trying to figure out the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm highly sceptical this recommendation will work for all use-cases. I believe the reason this works for you is that your original source had a lain vanila H264 and not created as a QuickTime H264.

Please share with us the original source of your H264. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m not sharing anything, why should I?.. If it doesn't work for anybody then at least they can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, Rockstard555.

I've shared this with the After Effects team.

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to 1.17.4 and even 1.17.2 and still get this error.

DankboSaggins_0-1586215677949.png

My .NFO file (Google Drive) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the System Information file. I've attached it to the bug.

Can you double-check the AE version number and let me know which one you are on right now? https://adobe.ly/2Tri88U

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to 1.17.0 and it works fine, but I was on 1.17.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I was having the same problem. then I converted the mp4 file to avi file and it worked. I hope this problem will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try by just renaming the extension instead of converting?... it would sure make the workflow a lot faster than converting but it may not work for everybody and every file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rockstard555,

Can you confirm the type of Adobe subscription that you have? Do you use the same Adobe ID with Creative Cloud apps that is associated with your community profile?

Let me know.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rockstard555,

Can you confirm the type of Adobe subscription that you have? Do you use the same Adobe ID with Creative Cloud apps that is associated with your community profile?

Let me know.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would an alternative format to h.264/65 be to maintain quality - file size not really a problem?

Just for re-importing into AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Have you updated to After Effects 17.0.6? Does that resolve this problem?

Let me know.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the notification and updated, the problem is fixed... thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects 17.0.6 still does not import H.264 footage.

I have rolled back to 17.0.4, 17.0.2 & 17.0.1 and none of them import H.264 footage.

Rolled back to 16.13 and it imports H.264 footage just fine.

Installing the Beta version of After Effects now... will let you know how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta (17.1.1 [build 8]) does not import H.264 footage either.

Get a message saying, "After Effects (Beta) warning: Problem encountered with file "xxx.mp4". Data File: Unknown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SpiresVideo,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this with all versions of 17.x.x.

Let me share this with the After Effects team and see if they have any suggestions.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines