• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wacom Intuos failure in After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a Wacom tablet for 7+ years (first a bamboo, now an Intuos pen & touch) in place of a mouse for all my applications. Just in the past month, when I open After Effects, after about 3-5 minutes of use, I'm no longer able to move the cursor using the pen. If I click down, I am still able to click and drag, and in the Wacom diagnostic tool, everything looks perfectly fine. The problem is, the functionality stops across ALL applications and I can't get it back unless I fully restart the computer. This means once I open After Effects, i must switch to a mouse until I have a chance to fully restart my computer, and then I can't open After Effects without breaking my pen tablet's functionality. 

Tried calling Wacom support and all they had me do was uninstall and reinstall my drivers several times. I tried moving my tablet to another computer (Brand new 2020 Imac, fresh install of the newest AE) and am still having the same issue. Is this a bug? Is my tablet broken? It's not that old, I've only had it for a year or two and it's functionality with every other app I use is completely fine. This only occurs with After Effects.

Has anyone else had this issue?

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Hi all,

Until this bug is fixed, I'm posting both workarounds in this comment and marking it as a correct answer temporarily so that it's helpful for others.

Workaround 1:

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and change the click behavior to "Pan/Scroll (Legacy)"

Wacom tablet.png

Workaround 2:

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and change the click behavior to "Keystroke" and set the Spacebar key as that keystroke.

wacom keystroke.png

When the bug is fixed, I'll come back to update the thread and the c

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Hi all,

Wacom has released a new driver (v 6.3.43-3) that contains a fix for this issue. Here is the link to download the updated driver: https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 108 Replies 108
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issuee hereeee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

help please 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. So exhausting.

Macbook Pro 13inch 2017 16gb 3,5Hz i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKAROUND:

AE breaks when you scroll up or down in the timeline...so what I did was place a piece of tape over the Wacom Pen's buttons so I stop using them to scroll. Instead, use the spacebar/hand to scroll up and down.

(ADOBE, you charge us an arm and a leg for sh*t that doesn't work. Can't wait for alternatives to overtake)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same same issue for me.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)

os catalina

8GB  DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

Using a MacBook Pro 15", 2018, 

MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

Wacom Intuos PTK-650. Driver: 6.3.41-2

Cannot use the pen at all unless I restart the machine, after opening After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helps please. This problem has persisted for four months, I called all the assistance centers but nothing. This problem changes the way of working a lot and is not pleasant, at least one answer.

Thanks Edward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Apologies for my delayed response.

We're investigating this issue in-house but don't have a successful repro. We're looking forward to working with you directly. If anyone is interested in working with us, please send me a private message.

Thanks to those who have already reached out to me. I'll get back to you soon!

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ve the same issue. Please fix the problem asap. I cannot work properly. 

I dont wanna pay a lot of money for this exhausting experience. 

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

x2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

help please, i waste my money in 2 wacom, in 1 huion and the problem is after effects? 😞 this news is very sad,  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! So frustrating! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have this issue too! It's so annoying.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)

processor - 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Memory - 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics - Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

Huge thanks to Kristian van der Linde for working with us! 

We're finally able to repro the issue and have bumped up the priority of the bug. We hope to fix this soon! 

For now, the workaround is to go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and changing the click behavior to "Pan/Scroll (Legacy)". If that doesn't work, change it to anything but scroll.

Wacom tablet.png

Again, thank you to all of those who were willing to help and had reached out to me directly.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Very exciting to be using my wacom tablet again for AE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this solution but the same thing happened to me once I scrolled in the timeline of AE.
I did however find another work around that solved my problem and wanted to share in case anyone else was still having issues. 

In your Wacom preferences for After Effects:
Instead of setting the lower pen button to pan/scroll (legacy), set it to Keystroke and make that keystroke *spacebar*.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.11.14 AM.png

This is allowing me to pan and scrub through the timeline without issue like I had in the past with my older tablet.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Until this bug is fixed, I'm posting both workarounds in this comment and marking it as a correct answer temporarily so that it's helpful for others.

Workaround 1:

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and change the click behavior to "Pan/Scroll (Legacy)"

Wacom tablet.png

Workaround 2:

Go to System Preferences > Wacom Tablet > Pen and change the click behavior to "Keystroke" and set the Spacebar key as that keystroke.

wacom keystroke.png

When the bug is fixed, I'll come back to update the thread and the correct answer.

Best,

Rameez

AE Community Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a workaround that's helpful, we need access to the button and the scroll, for all Adobe charges they should hire the manpower to make it work right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Does this works for Windows 10 as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same problem on my old iMac 2012 and my new iMac2020.  I'm using an Intuos Pro PTH-660.

Restarting the wacom driver fixes it but there isn't an easy way to do that without logging out and back in.

I solved this by: Writing a shell script that restarts the wacom driver without needing to logout and in again.

#!/bin/bash
wacomTabletDriverPID=`ps ax | grep WacomTabletDriver | grep -v grep | awk  '{print $1}'`;
kill -9 $wacomTabletDriverPID;
open /Applications/Wacom\ Tablet.localized/.Tablet/WacomTabletDriver.app

It basically finds the wacom tablet driver process and kills it. Then restarts the Tablet driver.

I ended up wrapping it in an app so when it happens I can just use spotlight to quickly run the app without needing to leave After effects.

I've put the app here if anyone wants to use it.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PrtjxiOiFGN8OscgEwc7KDyKdXYkP9pG?usp=sharing

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! This is awesome, tane_bear.

Just FYI: We're working with Wacom on a fix and I'm hopeful that this is going to be fixed very soon.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. This one was the only fix to continue using the pen. The new driver (6.3.43-3) didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the best!!!  thank you so much this was very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this problem exists for about three years. Adobe is just not interested in fixing that bug...

The "correct answer" is wrong I'm afraid, since these options simply don't exist like that in Wacom drivers. Even if you try something similar this would only disable the functionality of your pen. (And I'm not even using any form of "pan/scroll" on the pen.) But you would have to test this before posting such a "workaround" wouldn't you?

Great job Adobe. Just don't cry if motion designers worldwide are finaöy moving on to working software solutions because they have enough of this at last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines