• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ACES Hybrid config?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACES works great now for pure footage or pure CG renders. 

Problem is it doesn't really work for the main usage of after effects which is motion graphics/design(!)

Scenario: 3D render + AE graphics
Say i'm using ACEScg and Display Color Space set to rec709. 
The CG render looks right,  but for native graphical elements, hex values are wrong, white is grey,
And the Info tab shows you info color in the native color space instead of the display color space. its confusing.

I have to disable 'Display Color Space' to none, create an adjustment layer with OCIO color space transform from ACEScg to Utility/Gamma 2.2 Rec 709, and when exporting set it to Preserve RGB instead of using the output color space i want it to be. 

It would be more intuitive for motion designers if we had an 'ACES hybrid' system, where it transforms elements with an intrepreted source, but ignores native graphical elements. (Text, shapes, solids)
And exports would apply the 'Display Color Space' as the output.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think what you're looking for is this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/make-ocio-fully-color-management-agnos...

Not much voting but every vote helps I guess.

Side note, 

"I have to disable 'Display Color Space' to none, create an adjustment layer with OCIO color space transform from ACEScg to Utility/Gamma 2.2 Rec 709, and when exporting set it to Preserve RGB instead of using the output color space i want it to be."

This is incorrect. You need to use OCIO Display effect to convert your data to display in the same way you do with the viewer itself.

But still this workflow method is not the most practical. I'd probably recommend using the fnord plugin until Adobe gives users the freedom to use OCIO outside of project wide management.

Votes

Translate

Translate