• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move layer and selected keyframes on a second layer without moving the second layer

Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm often having to retime complicated After Effects comps. I can select layers and move them. and all their keyframes will move with them. But often there is also a select group of keyframes on outgoing layers that I want to move at the same time, without moving other keyframes on those layers. I currently can't do this in one operation. I have to move the layers first, then select the group of keyframes and move those by the same number of frames.

This is just a bit more fiddly than doing it in one movement 'cause I need to count precisely the number of frames I moved the layers and apply that to the keyframes. Also, on complicated timelines, it requires me to scroll the timeline window and click more often.

Generally speaking it would really help if there was a way to do the equivalent of a ripple edit in Premiere. Maybe there could be a way of shortening a layer that causes all non-overlapping layers downstream to move by the same amount and well as downstream keyframes on overlapping layers.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed, it would be great if there was a native way to do this. There is, however, a third-party script that lets you do exactly this, and it's fantastic. It's called Nudge: https://elementsupply.co/products/scripts/nudge

It has a panel, but you can also add the functions to KBar with specified frame amounts. So I have one KBar button that, when using different modifier keys, I can shift my selection forward or back 12 frames or 24 frames, and then another option to open the panel if I need to specify a different number of frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate