• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opt-out of the installation of Cinema 4D R21 when installing After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add a checkbox or something to allow users to opt-out of the installation of Cinema 4D R21 when installing After Effects.

I already have a valid perpetual license for Cinema 4D R19 Studio. R21 is pointless as it only allows me to use a trial license or purchase a license. The application is useless for those who already own a commercial license.

To make matters worse, I must uninstall it every time there is an update for After Effects. Quite frankly, I consider it bloatware. It useless and it wastes space on my hard drive.

I understand that there are people who don’t already own C4D who would find this useful which I why I think the ability to opt-out would make both sides happy.
Idea Released
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to make this request and upvote it. We're happy to announce that the installation of C4D is now optional in After Effects 2023 (version 23.0). Full details are available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new/2023.html#C4D-optional-installer 

Thanks again for your feedback as we continue to improve After Effects,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
79 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please STOP doing this Adobe!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from 22.2.1 to 22.3 ... and the bloatware called c4d is here again.
jeva

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always thought it was a virus because I never downloaded it, and it was without my consent also! I don’t use this at all and why is it a 3rd party not related to Adobe at all and why do I need a license for something I do not want ! And takes a lot of space each time I update aftereffects that annoying cinema 4D pops up again

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That this is included in shared device / enterprise installs as well is ridiculous. My users didn't ask for it, and I don't want it.

It's not listed in the package selection on the Admin Console nor in PackageInfo.txt.

It wasn't included as part of the shared device installer as of Dec 2021, and AFIAK was automatically installed later via the updater.

I didn't request or consent to have this software installed on my systems. Adobe should not be installing 3rd party software without notice.

I understand that some users appreciate the inclusion of C4D, but it should not be a default and should not be a "stealth" install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news! I reached out to the After Effects Senior Product Manager, via Linked In, about this issue. She indicated she agrees, saying that was one of the first projects she took on when joining the After Effects team.

The team is currently working on making Cinema 4D an optional installation; she hopes to have that change in place before the end of the year.

I'm sure we would all like this change to occur yesterday. Many of us our probably thinking 'how hard could that be?'. On the other hand, there's undoubtedly a lot about the Creative Cloud installer, as well as organizational structures at Adobe, that none of us are aware of.

Here's to seeing the change implemented before the end of the year, or even sooner.

Thank you for creating this poll, Ryan. Brilliant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2022, how is this still an issue?

-another user who found several different versions of C4D installed-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now all of a sudden I got this message when opening a project in AE! What is going on now!? Are they trying to force an install of Cinema 4D or actually integrating parts of this program into AE? 😒

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started a new computer build today. I installed Maya, Redshift, Photoshop, After Effects, and Unreal Engine 5. Suddenly I find that Cinema 4D 25 is on my computer. How did this happen? I am not interested in having a chunk of my m.2 drive just wisped away as a casual idea from a company that thinks that any, and I mean ANY, EULA would ever legally be defendable in court under any, and I mean ANY, circumstances. This is class action lawsuit level stuff. Get this out of the installer... out of your philosophy... out of anything to do with your idea of running a "business" or you will regret it immensely. This means legally through financial payouts. They WILL listen if enough lawyers come crawling out of the woodworks, who also love massive amounts of social media attention for winning suits against large companies. Adobe. Do the right thing. End this "practice" immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fairly big part of my decision not to renew my CC and 3D subscriptions this year. (Almost certain that I will renew the Substance 3D suite eventually but reluctantly).
Writing large amounts of data to your customer's finite NVME storage regardless of the objections stated here shows an astonishing level of disrespect.
This toxic attitude has also pushed me away from Maxon too, while I still have perpetual licenses of Cinema 4D and ZBrush, they are used less and less as I get used to alternative products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of yesterday's update, the new version of AE gives you the option to install C4D Lite on install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to make this request and upvote it. We're happy to announce that the installation of C4D is now optional in After Effects 2023 (version 23.0). Full details are available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new/2023.html#C4D-optional-installer 

Thanks again for your feedback as we continue to improve After Effects,

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for accepting the feedback and making this optional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnColombo why did it take Adobe so long to reply? Why burn your reputation like this so consistently? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bencarelle This change was certainly a long time coming. Software development is not a quick process, especially when a feature requires the coordination of several teams across multiple companies as this one did.

We never intend to burn our reputation, and I acknowledge that our track record of communication hasn't been very good in the past. By moving feedback here to the Adobe Community, we are looking to improve that communication while we also work to improve and accelerate our internal processes to deliver more reliable features more often.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In using AE 2024 for Windows and I cannot get C4D to stop installing whenever AE is updated. How do you deselect the Added button in the After Effects add-ons window? Here's my AE window after the latest AE 2024 update. There must be some way to stop C4D from installing.

How to deselect added on this window?How to deselect added on this window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark28946455pilv You should be getting a popup window when you update After Effecst, where you can prevent Cinema 4D from installing.

Cinema 4D.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never seen that dialog box before when I've updated After Effects. I think the fact that the “Cinema 4D by Maxon” is checked in my “Get Add-ons”, that will override the dialog box that you showed since it already has my permission to install Cinema 4D. I need to find out how to uncheck the Cinema 4d in “Get Add-ons”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there is a way to uncheck that, but I am not entirely sure. Have you tried to uninstall Cinema 4D via Windows? That could maybe help the pop-up to appear the next time you update AE...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstalling c4d via win is not solving this problem. 

jeva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jeva72 To clarify; so you don't get the option to skip installing C4D either when upgrading AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, you don't. your only option so far - I might be wrong, but it worked for me - is uninstalling everything and reinstalling tem again. or simply give up and let adobe install it's spam 3d app again. 

jeva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then maybe you shouldn't have the competely unneccesaary burden of releasing a new version so often, especially as so many of us are asking for Adobe to slow down their release cadence in favour of stability. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uninstalled Cinema 4D multiple times and deleted the remaining C4D folder from the Programs Files folder, but After Effects updates it will install Cinema 4D every time. It's like groundhog day.

Votes

Translate

Translate