Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn Off Scroll Wheel Zooming

Feb 10, 2010 Feb 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to turn off the scroll wheel zooming in After Effects. If I am looking at a Comp window and I scroll with my mouse, the view zooms in or out. I don't want to do this, especially because I have a Magic Mouse and any stray movement suddenly zooms my window. It's a realy problem. Can I turn this "feature" off?

iMac i7 running Mac OS X 10.6.2

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
94 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2015 Apr 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither Magic Prefs or other suggested steps are a solution to the problem. Please people, make sure you understand the problem before suggesting to switch of scrolling system wide or stuff like that.

Has anybody found a solution to that? I am still accidentally zooming in and out of my comp in AE. So annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too and I'm not using a magic mouse. I have a Logitech MX Master mouse, and even with the scroll wheel in its distinctive-click mode, AE often zooms for no apparent reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2015 May 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌to those suggesting this is Apple's  responsibility, just how are Apple supposed to design a utility that allows me to prevent scrolling of the canvas in Photoshop but allow scrolling in layers, history and elsewhere

I cut out products from their background quite happily and quickly with the mouse but for this issue which causes me to adopt a strain inducing grip where I could otherwise allow my hand to lay on the mouse comfortably (yes, I've heard of Wacom thanks )

Adobe software simply needs this one checkbox - 'ignore scroll wheel on canvas'

I struggle to believe it still does not exist

Perhaps a concerted effort to tweet everyone on Phitoshop and AEs credit screens might wake them up

#adobepleaselisten

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just submitted a feature request to Adobe, I'd suggest we all do the same.  With my Logitech MX mouse sometimes the view zooms even when I don't touch the scroll wheel.  I'd love to be able to just turn the feature off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2015 Jun 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incorrect. Adobe's own Photoshop allows you to disable this behaviour, so clearly it can be done and done within an Adobe app, with the change implemented by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, photoshop has this option! Though I'm feeling glad that I mostly work with photoshop, every time I have to open AE I'm prepared for a headache

I'm using a MacBook multitouch trackpad by the way.
Filed a feature request and felt like wasting time. I can't believe that this issue is around for meanwhile 5 years!

Fully agree with the complaints of my fellow sufferers. Hands down, this issue falls within adobe's remit!

PS: I believe designers (aka. the folks using adobe stuff) love usability and the freedom of choice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact problem with the Performance MX mouse as well. I would like it if Adobe could add a simple switch to turn off scroll wheel zooming in just the composition panel, but I've turned off scroll wheel functionality entirely, and just use the hand tool with the space bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You literally used to be able to turn this off... what garbage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Yosemite I turn it off under System Prefs / Acessibility / Mouse & Trackpad / Mouse Options & uncheck Scrolling w/Inertia.

Yeah, its a pain to find. You could probably program a hot key but I don't know how and haven't taken the time to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a system-wide fix, not an application preference. You shouldn't have to turn it off everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - its just the only thing I've found to do since there isn't an application pref.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that 6 years went by and nothing happened in this matter.

I'm using a trackpad on a macbook pro and I'm shocked that I have to drag to navigate inside of the comp viewer instead of scrolling horizontally and vertically and zooming with a pinch gesture. I assume many of the AE users are used to it, but at least give us the opportunity to decide how we want to navigate with different types of tool (mouse, trackpad, touchpad, pens, etc.) Shame on you Adobe for not listening and for sticking to this stupid, bad user experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever mouse I use, one should be able to turn the zoom function off. It's been annoying me for years, with both a scrollwheel and a touch-mouse. I'd like to decide myself how I use my tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2016 Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just booted up After Effects after a couple of years and can't believe I forgot how annoying this is.

Really sad it hasn't been fixed in all this time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just keep added users who hate this feature, only bothers me about 50 times a day, wish Adobe would be something, but don't expect much from their support, must be other people running the company than ones who made the product in the first place. Just added my name to the list, don't expect anything to happen though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about every time it happens I add to this thead, since it just happened again, hate this feature, please let us turn off option scroll zoom, pretty please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happended again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Throwing my hat in the annoyance ring. I deal with this annoying issue every single day. Can't believe this is an issue that hasn't been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2016 Oct 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX!

Been putting up with this issue/bug for years now and I think I've just accidentally stumbled upon a workaround - If you go to the hamburger dropdown menu in the comp window then go to 'panel group settings' then check the option 'stacked panel group' then the window doesn't scroll from the mousewheel / magic mouse swipes! And you can now just use , and . to zoom in/out as you usually would. I'm not exactly familiar with the 'stacked panel' layout option so this may have some unintended behaviours in the comp window but it's definitely working as a fix for the annoying scrolling issue for me.

Not sure why this option would remove this function exactly? But anyway, hope this works for anyone else out there that's been dealing with this annoying issue for so long!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. That also works for me - it's not a setting I've used so I don't know if there are any other drawbacks, but I'm certainly going to give it a try as it drives me batty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, your so right, I know its 6 years later but Apple users are not happy unless it comes directly from the Apples mouth, if it aint Apple, its shit. Adobe makes great tools,they listen to their customers, and build with that in mind. Apple is no longer the only design platform or machine to use, if anything they are starting to make themselves look like idiots, Adobe has and always will be the top dog for design, Mac or PC it just does not matter, so as David said, STOP FKING WHINING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem. Hope to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read my post above, its a workaround but it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thank you very much!
(And hope Adobe pay attention to this issue. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! This is a brilliant hack solution since Adobe isn't listening to us to just put a simple "zoom lock" button on the comp window controls.

The reason this works is that it's forcing AE to respond to the scroll wheel as though it is vertically scrolling through the "stack" even if the stack only has one item in it. You can see what I mean if you resize the comp window to be taller than your comp is tall - it will scroll vertically instead of zooming.

KUDOS, GregCooper​ !

Votes

Translate

Translate