Highlighted

Create Nulls From Paths: Position is way off

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I love the new built-in feature "create nulls from paths." However, sometimes I get an issue where the newly created nulls are not where they should be. Please see the examples below, where the front leg of the bicyclist kicks out four misplaced nulls. Anyone else having this issue? Any workarounds? Fixes? Advice?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-02-26 21.31.50.pngScreenshot 2018-02-26 21.32.01.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Roland Kahlenberg | Adobe Community Professional

Before you apply any of the Nulls2Path feature you SHOULD zero all the Path>Transform:Path properties (except Opacity and Scale). Otherwise, you will have the issue you are currently facing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Create Nulls From Paths: Position is way off

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I love the new built-in feature "create nulls from paths." However, sometimes I get an issue where the newly created nulls are not where they should be. Please see the examples below, where the front leg of the bicyclist kicks out four misplaced nulls. Anyone else having this issue? Any workarounds? Fixes? Advice?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-02-26 21.31.50.pngScreenshot 2018-02-26 21.32.01.png

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Roland Kahlenberg | Adobe Community Professional

Before you apply any of the Nulls2Path feature you SHOULD zero all the Path>Transform:Path properties (except Opacity and Scale). Otherwise, you will have the issue you are currently facing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 26, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2018 5
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick! Thanks a bunch!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having the same issue unfortunately this solution isn't working for me. Any idea why and how I could fix that? Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 0
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without getting too into the weeds, you're likely running into an issue of comp space vs layer space. 
If the path you're converting is on a layer parented to another, or buried multiple shape groups deep, you're wanting the visual position of your object, without realizing that its mathematical position is actually relative to its parent, shape group, whatever. 
There are ways around this with expressions, but the simplest answer is to take those variables out of the equation if possible. If possible, un-parent layers before running this script, and/or make sure your nulls are parents to the same layer(s) as the one containing the path. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 0
Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, if you forgot to ZERO-in the Content"Path>Transform props prior to invoking Create Nulls from Path, you can do so AFTER - all will be well.

As Kyle has suggested, you will have to share more info on the Shape Layer. A screen grab showing its innards and whether it is Parented (a Child Layer) AND any effects the layer may have. FWIW, Even if the Shape Layer is parented (IOW it's a Child Layer), all you have to do get things back on track is to parent the newly created Nulls to the Shape Layer's Parent Layer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please explain what you mean by "zero all the path"?

It would be appreciated if you can explain based on After Effects UI so it is clear how to do this step. thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 0
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image below shows the default values for a Shape Layer's internal transform properties. When these properties are at their default values all Nulls created with the "Create Nulls from Path" feature will stick to their respective Shape Path vertex/point. HTH.

Roland_Kahlenberg_0-1587958381773.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. This is strange functionality no? Maybe a bug unless intended to work this way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2020 0
May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a bug. However I do see an opportunity for a better design by setting the related values to default, by default. I can't see any reason to have 'awkward' values as default and then having these props disaffect Create Nulls from Path.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 02, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon I need help I have the same problem when creating a null in a mask, the points do not come out where I need how can I solve this thank you very much

Captura de Pantalla 2020-08-04 a la(s) 18.18.13.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue. To test the problem, I created a new project, then a new comp with a single path, then used "create nulls form path / trace path" and shift+picwhiped a rectange shape layer to the null but the rectangle gets placed far from the null.jhgff.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a solution for this issue. Please read through the posts cos the answer + screen grab are spread across two posts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0
Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copying and pasting a motion vector path to a motion path requires that the layer with the mask or the shape layer with the mask have the transform properties reset to the default positions for the motion path to match up. This is because vector paths are based on the original layer dimensions, not the transformed properties. 

The CreateNulls from Paths.jsx scrip will compensate for layer size scale and rotation so the nulls will be on the path no matter what the position, scale, and rotation of the layer have been set to. 

When you Shift + parent a layer to another layer the position, rotation and scale are all matched at the Anchor Point of the layer. paper1246, your screenshot shows the outline of the null on the path, so that is correct, but you have the layer with the path selected. I would be willing to guess that the Anchor Point of the Blur Rectangle layer is right on top of the null. The reason that it doesn't match up is that the anchor point of the layer with the rectangle is not centered in the rectangle. 

If the blue rectangle layer is a shape layer, and the rectangle is a parametric shape (Rectangle 1) and not a vector Path, then all you have to do is to select the shape layer, press the U key twice, and then zero out the Transform Rectangle 1 properties for Position, rotation, and scale if the scale is not 100%. That should move the center of Rectangle 1 to the Anchor Point of the shape layer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 02, 2020 0