Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems when rendering .json-driven project in media encoder

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I am making a weather-forecast-thingy. Was very happy with the new data-driven update. Until I tried rendering in media encoder. Where there is supposed to be temperatures, all I get is "NaN". When I render directly in AE it works like a charm.

I get my data from a .json-file. Linked the source text directly with expressions e.g. "Math.round(footage("weather.json").dataValue([2,5,0]))". Any ideas where and why things get wierd?

Kartan30.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

I got it working. Seems like media encoder won't recognize the json-file if its only in the project-window. Although, if I use it as a layer anywhere in the project everything suddenly works. No need to re-adress any expressions or anything. Weird, but working.

ps. Thank you Mylenium for your answer. I got a whole automation-script going and the client needs their files as h264 so excluding media encoder ins't really an option. Unfortunately. Unless you have a great, not too mind bending, render

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing the data and the expression it generates nobody can tell you much. that said, expressions always have been sensitive with AME, so if rendering directly from AE e.g. to an image sequence and then encoding later is an option, simply use this workflow. There's usually little point in trying to debug these issues and the rubbish JSON implementation clearly hasn't made anything in that regard easier.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it working. Seems like media encoder won't recognize the json-file if its only in the project-window. Although, if I use it as a layer anywhere in the project everything suddenly works. No need to re-adress any expressions or anything. Weird, but working.

ps. Thank you Mylenium for your answer. I got a whole automation-script going and the client needs their files as h264 so excluding media encoder ins't really an option. Unfortunately. Unless you have a great, not too mind bending, render mending, top notch, ultimate combo solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear konto4c31193966​,

More than a year later, I have the same exact problem - the JSON file works with AE renders, but is entirely not recognized in AME.

I have tried my best to include the .json file:
- as a new layer of the entire comp (on top),

- as a new layer of the entire comp (at bottom),

- as a new layer in the very specific sub comp that was using the text in the Json (on top),

....still the same lousy results on AME renders. I am CC 19 for both. Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm having this problem. I read through this thread, but couldn't see a definitive solution. Did you sort it jamesw83840845?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found that in order for Adobe Media Encoder to collect the json file for it's own use, it has to be a layer in a comp that is actually involved in the RENDER. I had a whole control comp, and made my .jsx data file a layer in that comp, but AME ignored it because that comp was only being referfenced by expressions, so it's layers didn't register as required elements to be rendered. I made the .jsx data file a layer on one of the comps that has elements being rendered, and it worked perfectly. An explanation I saw was that AME doesn't look through every layer of every comp to see if it contains needed resources - that is too time consuming. It only gathers resources from comps directly involved in the rendering.

Hip Hip Hooray!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines