• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support ALAC format

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALAC is a commonly used high quality audio format and I discovered recently via a support session that is is not/no longer supported in Audition. https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/supported-file-formats.html

It used to be the case that I could take an audio clip of, for example, 2,116 kbps, slice it up in Audition's multitrack editor and export it to the same quality. This is no longer the case. Now when I export a slice of 2,116 kbps ALAC-format audio to the same format (choosing options to export at the same quality as the source audio) I get a file that's 1,591 kbps. Clearly, that doesn't reflect the export options I've selected.

This is immensely annoying as ALAC is a format I work a lot with and I only started encountering this issue within the last few months.

Please fix it. There's no justification for not supporting mainstream audio formats.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Multitrack editor

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALAC should still be supported. Are you on Mac or win?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Mac. I have been told by an Adobe support staffer that ALAC is not supported (also note that it does not appear in the list of supported formats in the link in my original post). While it's possible export to ALAC, it won't preserve the bitrate. This wasn't always the case - I have audio clips from 6 months ago that were exported in audition to ALAC and preserved the bitrate of the original file. Now, regardless of what export settings you choose, it is impossible to export files to ALAC and retain the original bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a record of the conversation with the Adobe support staff? Either a case number or email thread? If so, please send it to audbugs@adobe.com and reference this page as well.

As for export, you can export "Apple Lossless" as part of the "Apple MPEG-4 Audio" file format via the "Apple Audio Toolbox" plug-in, or via the "libsndfile" plug-in as part of the CAF file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have emailed you a copy of the transcript just now. Out of the two options you've mentioned, the export route I'm referring to is exporting an audio clip to "Apple Lossless" as part of the "Apple MPEG-4 Audio" file format via the "Apple Audio Toolbox" plug-in...which appears not to be lossless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi C Van Winkle,

Do you have an update on this issue? Is there any chance it will be fixed in the next update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, can I get an update on this issue please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, please would you provide an update on this issue as it is not yet fixed.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi C Van Winkle, please would you send me an update on this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Dear Adobe, this issue has still not been solved. If you do not want to support ALAC, then remove that functionality from the Audition save-down menu. However, if you are going to retain the ability to save audio in ALAC format, please ensure the sample rate is preserved correctly.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate