• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BACKGROUND AUTO-SAVE, Auto-save should not interrupt your workflow

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title says it all. Auto-save should function in the background and NOT pop up with an annoying progress bar every time it runs. Gets REALLY bad on large project files when auto-saves take up to a min every single time.

Total workflow killer. Should be just like taking snapshots of your project in the background while continue working.

The dialog even pops up and steals focus from another app you're in.
Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
50 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh for real. I've complained about this to Adobe before. It's super problematic when I'm reviewing work with a client in another program like Illustrator and that stupid box pops up over top of EVERYTHING else. It's the worst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is incredibly annoying! Come on Adobe it's 2018, can't we autosave in the background just like Final Cut Pro 7 did in 2005???

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! As I was about to type this, the autosave box popped up over the browser. It's pretty rude, but also as others said, completely disruptive when you have a big project. I try to keep my projects neat and lean but sometimes in the crunch you have to just throw assets all over the place and don't delete them from the project panel when they're unused. It would be great for that not to impact the time it takes to autosave, so that you can get on with work and worry about project bin aesthetics later on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can also break scripts, since AE won't run scripts while a dialog is open...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Er, as a follow up to the comment I submitted prematurely...
Since AE won't run scripts while a dialog is open and it's busy, rarely (but still frequently enough to be an issue), I try and run a script right as autosave begins, which will crash / break my script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drives me crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe devs please! This auto-save popup is really annoying, there are not even any third-party scripts that can fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree with this and all the comments, frequent auto saving is a best practice but on large projects the auto saves become obnoxious and very frustrating.

It's 2019 now Adobe you can auto save in the background just like every other modern application does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The auto save popping up and interrupting my work flow and concentration is absolutely infuriating and quite frankly an insult to all users. It's almost as though Adobe have created this software(which is basically a copy of FCP7), taken our money and then just left us for dead as they walk off into the sunset laughing whilst counting our cash. It's incredible that such a small problem is big enough to make every serious film maker so annoyed that they end up hating the over all software and yet they do absolutely nothing about it. After I finish my latest project I am defecting to FCP X. Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not only be possible to run it in the background (but with the option to switch this off because it will be terribly unstable in itself and cause other problems I am certain!!!) but also either way it should not start autosaving if it would interrupt something you are doing. Wait a second or so after a click or keypress

If I have just pasted something, wait till it's actually pasted then do the autosave!

If i'm IN THE MIDDLE OF DRAGGING SOMETHING, don't autosave!

etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...on the plus side, on larger projects the existing autosave popup doubles as a free screen-break mindfullness app. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

every change should be journaled. this way you don't have to save except when you want to ... get with the times Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came back to comment. Why is this not under review for a new version?

This is KILLING me today. Auto-saves are taking upwards of 1 min each time. Total productivity killer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PFTrack (and other apps) save with each interaction, and even save undo logs so when you re-open the project you're literally right where you stopped last time.

I did have one project go corrupt on me during a total system crash so just add shadow copies in the background and the ability to archive a version of the project and we're all set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is especially problematic with Ae and Pr since the latest update. Any interaction with the computer causes these two programs to hang for 1 to 2 minutes. ie during Open, Save, Render Queuing, Close. The program just sits there in a (Not Responding) state (on Windows 10). It acts like it's trying to reach something that it can't and waits until it times out, then starts responding again. Almost like someone forgot to turn off a debug parameter that it looking for something on the developers file system that doesn't exist on a customers system. But I'm speculating on the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe PLEASE consider this. Autosave is essential, but it absolutely ruins creative flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an addition to this, it can cause scripts and panels to crash (and sometimes requires a restart of the panel or the entire application), if it tries to auto save at the same time as a script tries executing.

"Can not run a script while a modal dialog is waiting for response."

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe devs; few things are more frustrating when you are under the gun and you have a large project that takes a while to save, and have it auto save, or you instinctively save after doing some work and having to wait 30 seconds to a minute.

It's super disruptive. 30 seconds might not sound like a lot and on average it isn't but on the outliers of the distribution when you have to get something out and you need to save it actually can be a huge advantage / disadvantage to have / not have things saving in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only is auto-save really intrusive and annoying while working, it's intrusive in the background while AE is minimised. Honestly, I don't understand why autosave has to be so annoying... surely it can do it in the background during inactivity, not the moment I start doing something. It sits there doing nothing for 10 mins, but decides to autosave the second I start moving an object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

strange... This had way more votes last time i checked in. What's the status of implementing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting for up to two minutes and having After Effects locked while saving is quite frustrating. Illustrator, Premiere and Photoshop all enable a user to save while working. I'd really appreciate this being added to AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Team Projects! All users have access now, and you can save all versions of your project and your work history in one, so there's no autosave window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Victoria for reaching out. It's great to hear from the team. Also, I didn't know it's now accessible for all CC users. Good job. Will try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria, but I'm not really interested in using teams projects.
Can't you guys just hide the annoying, productivity killing autosave window? Your users have been asking for years...
Final cut pro had it figured out 15 years ago, with background autosaving with no halt to production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or if hiding it scares the UI team too much, just please don't make it a modal window. When you're in the flow and you get interrupted it gets annoying. Or, even better, just make it appear in the info column like everything else AE is doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate