• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crash (11.3) - Launch/Open Catalog - faulting module: substrate.dll : 411196 (Windows)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating LR today from the Cloud app on my PC it now fails with an error every time I open it. I have tried updating graphic card drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled LR itself but the problem persists. Was working fine yesterday. It is now unusable as the error occurs on starting up the software. Have sent crash reports via the error popup. Urgent help requested!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

An update to the Lightroom Classic (Version 11.3.1) was released on 4/20/2022 and contains (2) bug fixes. 

Please install the update via your Creative Cloud Desktop App. 

Note: 

You may need to refres

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 176 Replies 176
176 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic shuts down automatically when I launch. I have followed the fixes for this suggested by Adobe but have been unable to find the "store" folder in "Program files" to change it to "storeold." Any help much appreciated!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 11.3 is flawed. Reinstall older 11.2. with Creative Cloud.

SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I revert to LR Classic 11.2 ?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but that instruction is not up to date any more. I cannot find Other versions, only More information or Delete installation (Poista asennus in Finnish) available. So I have no idea how to get back to version 11.2. I don't understand how it has been possible to launch this miserable version (11.3), extremely frustrating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattip69213746In the current version of the Creative Cloud Desktop app (5.7.01307), when I go to the All Apps selection in the left (the top one), it shows my installed apps.  On the Lightroom Classic line, I hit the three-dots on the far right, and get a dropdown that has: Manage Plugins, Learn More, Other Versions, Uninstall.    Click on Other Versions, and select 11.2 from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Adobe needs to pull 11.3 and release 11.4? multiple issues with windows and Apple software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I just verified the roll-back instructions here are up-to-date:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/roll-back-update-previous/

johnrellis_0-1650404903466.png

If you're not seeing this, then please post a screenshot of what you do see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After an update about a week ago Lightroom crashes every time I start it (I had no issues previously, it never crashed before that). I get the below message from Adobe with two solutions. As a result I've just upgraded my graphics card (at great expense!) because there were no updated drivers for my old card. However this hasn't fixed the problem despite the fact that the card was just installed yesterday with the latest drivers. I can't do the second suggestion of turning off the graphics card option because LR crashes before I can make any changes in preferences (and I'm not sure this would be an ideal solution in the long run). I really need to get this issue resolved asap. Would appreciate any advice.  Running Windows 10, and latest version of LR (it updated yesterday but no improvement)

Adobe message:

This issue occurs when Lightroom Classic is configured to Use Graphics Card in the preferences with DirectX enabled.

To resolve this issue, follow the steps listed below.

• Update your graphics card driver.

On your Windows machine, download the most recent driver directly from your graphics card manufacturer's website

And:

• Turn off the Use Graphics Processor option.

1. In Lightroom Classic, choose Edit > Preferences
      2. In the Preferences dialog, click the Performance tab.
      3. Deselect Use Graphics Processor.
      4. Relaunch Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install older version 11.2 from Creative Cloud app. This will fix problem.

Thanks,
SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the suggestions as to how to fix this frustrating issue. I've followed the advice to roll back to the previous version and that has fixed the problem. 

It looks like I didn't need to spend $2500 on a new computer with a more modern graphics card to fix this problem! (Glad I did upgrade the computer though - it's so much faster than my old one!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Há três dias, estou tendo problemas co o Lightroom Classic, todos os outros programas do pacote abrem. Já desinstalei  várias vezes, e não modifica. Abre somente a página inicial depois trava tudo que preciso desligar o computador para sair da página. Não posso enviar a mensagem de erro. como posso solucionar? Edito fotos, e não posso trabalhar.

Nina Wenóli

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On starting the latest version of Adobe Lightroom Classis the program does not start instead an "Error Report for "Adobe Lightroom Classic"" window appears saying: 

"Sorry, an error occurred. Adobe Lightroom Classic has encountered a problem and needs to close. An error report has been generated. Click "Send report" to help us analyze the cause of the problem and explore solutions."

On the error report window the "View Report" link does not work, the checkboxes do not work, and neither the "Don't send" nor the "Send report" buttons work. The only thing I can do is to shut down Lightroom using the Windows Task Manager.

What can be the solution of this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this exact same problem.  I switched back to the previous version of Lightroom and was able to get it to start.  It was still running incredible slow so I followed the advice to disable the GPU mentioned in this thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-cc-keeps-crashing-on-startup/...

Things seem to be running ok now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is investigating this issue with LR 11.3 and recommends that you roll back to 11.2 until the problem is fixed:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google translation: "I've been having issues with Lightroom Classic for three days, all other programs in the package open. I've uninstalled it several times, and it doesn't change. It only opens the home page then hangs everything I need to shut down the computer to exit the page. I cannot send the error message. how can i solve? I edit photos, and I can't work."

Adobe is investigating this issue with LR 11.3 and recommends that you roll back to 11.2 until the problem is fixed:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, I can not open the Leitrum Classic. I have a license and have no idea why this is happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Consider including the following in your question: 

• Adobe product and version number 
  • Operating system and version number 
  • The full text of any error message (s) 
  • What you were doing when the problem occurred 
  • Screenshots of the problem 
  • Computer hardware, such as CPU; GPU; the amount of RAM; etc 

Thanks. The above info will help to solve your problem. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.7 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed LRC ver 11.3 . O Starting running iut, it stucked on loading/ I thing it cannot open my catalog/

Any suggestions ?

I am usiung windows 10.

Thanks,  Eitan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue. 

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#troubleshooting 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html 

If Lightroom doesn't start correctly the please see "Solution 2" in the document behind the second link. 

Troubleshoot GPU issues | Lightroom Classic (adobe.com) 

Another step is to try to reset the Lightroom preferences. 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ 

Do you get an error message? If yes, please post the exact message or an screenshot.  

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.7 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, revert to version 11.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,