• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Completely broken Hand tool (PS24.5) Hand Tool Sticking, sticky, not seeing mouse-up

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. Please don't move it to the Discussions tab.

And please don't merge into another unrelated thread. I will report a bug with this thread.

------------------------------------

I made a YouTube video using a keyboard mouse overlay to show what action I'm taking. I hope you can refer to refer to it.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

------------------------------------

I was disappointed that there were so many bugs that were not fixed in 24.5, but I was still trying to give it a shot.

However, this bug is pretty serious. Really...

Please see the video I attached.
If you watch the video, you will see that I am shaking the screen.
I'm not using a hand tool, it should release automatically, but that thing is sticky.

To release this sticky, pinned handtool, you'll need to make one more unconditional click.

Here's how I've organized them for your reference.

< What I can be sure of >

1. Window10 (Tested a total of 14 PCs)
  2. Use WacomTablet
  3. Not related to preferences at all (Especially not related to Spring loaded, Flick panning stuff things)
  4. I've tried all the known Photoshop troubleshooting methods and no improvement.
  5. Even reinstalling Windows does the same thing
  6. Only in 24.5 does this bug occur with certainty. I can't reproduce it at all in earlier versions.

I'm not sure about the >

1. Mac OS not tested
  2. I couldn't even test if it was a GPU company difference. I and my team all use NVIDIA

And while there are a few threads pointing this out, there doesn't seem to be a proper plan to fix it.

If this is not fixed in 24.6, 24.6 will be equally unusable as 24.5.

Also check out the links below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-lock-after-releasing-spaceb...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-won-t-let-go-of-image/m-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/24-5-impossible-to-use-with-wacom-intuos-on-...

(cjbutler 1/12/24: edited title from "not reverting to cursor" to "not seeing mouse up" to reflect latest focus on lost mouse-up as root cause, and not just a stale cursor setting.)

Bug Started
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

The team is looking into, thank you!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Current status on this "stuck mouse-down" issue.

We're continuing to have extraordinary difficulty reproducing the issues at Adobe. We understand that for many of you in this thread the issue is happening very frequently, to the point of making the latest versions of Photoshop unusable.

Some of our users (Vit K, Alan P) in this thread added instrumentation to Photoshop using developer tools (Spy++) and observed in their fail cases that Photoshop was not even getting the WM_LBUTTONUP message

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 636 Replies 636
636 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ops. Sorry. It should  appear july 28  and ,july 29.  Apologies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 24.7 (the latest update) and it still is broken. Please acknowledge  the issue or let us know if you plan to fix it, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the cutting/pasting "Adobe Photoshop (Beta) Prefs" file method fixes this issue. Here's the weird thing though: I did these steps on the Beta version and somehow it fixed it in the main release (24.7.0) as well. Weird glitch.

Take the file from here:

C:\Users\[your account]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop (Beta)\Adobe Photoshop (Beta) Settings

Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" in Perferences > apply any distort effect from Filter (like Twirl) > Check "Use Graphics Processor" again > Close Photoshop. Paste the prefs file from desktop back into the folder, overwrite, restart Photoshop, and no more sticky tools.

Hope this helps for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Wicked Sushi, thanks for your reply! I never installed the Beta so I don't think that will solve my issue but I hope it helps others out. Again thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2023 Jul 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I don't have the beta either, but based somehow on the suggestion of  Wicked Sushi, 

I moved ALL the files and folders in:

C:\Users\[your account]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings

to a temporary folder, then deleted ALL the files and folders in:

C:\Users\[your account]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings

Started Photoshop starting obviously with default settings and without all my preferences, closed Photoshop, then moved back ALL the files and folders from my  temporary folder to:

overwriting everything. This fixed both issues with the sticky pan and zoom AND the jumping brush in liquify, at least for now. Though, it should be the job of Adobe to suggest this or fix it with an update......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Wicked Tuna and alfredoc 1234! I followed your steps and so far it appears to have solved my issue. Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my annoyance level has just gone up quite a lot.

I originally had the issue running 24.5, and it persisted after I upgraded to 24.7

And then it mysteriously went away.

So now I have upgraded to 24.7 and it has come back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem as well, though it's with anything that has any kind of drag option. I especially get it with the color picker, gradient tool, and any of the lasso or marquee type tools. At first I thought it was my wacom pen, but I don't have the problem with any other program. In addition it happens with the mouse as well. It's as if the program doesn't know when to stop dragging and to release the tool. It's really infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this and it did indeed fix it. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little drastic but I had a few hours free..
I uninstalled the entire Adobe Suit (other apps like Acrobat had issues and some I no longer use anyway), Wacom driver and ALL preferences. I updated my gfx driver before reinstalling what I needed (Photoshop version 24.5 + Beta). All the previous problems appear to be fixed and photoshop seems more responsive too.
However, I now have a NEW problem. I cannot use curves! Using the curve UI is virtually impossible - the lag between clicking on a curve and being able to drag is huge and clunky when it does finally get moving. I've resorted to using the value boxes. I've had this issue before several versions ago but darned if I can rmember how I fixed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another update on the macOS side of this problem. Last night, I tried to play a video game and noticed the same mouse behavior as Photoshop. Doing a quick search on r/macgaming brought up a solution: disabling window snapping tools. I use a program called Multitouch which allows for mouse gestures (which I don't use) and window snapping akin to what is built in natively in Windows 10 and 11.

https://youtu.be/jI7NYcedzGw

That solved every problem I had with Photoshop tools sticking and lagging and fixed all of the mouse problems I was having in the game. I don't know if disabling window snapping works in Windows 11 because I haven't had to use any Adobe programs in Windows for a very long time and it would take a very long time to update Photoshop on my bad internet connection. I hope this helps anyone else struggling with irratic mouse behavior on macOS and I really hope this helps narrow something down on the Windows side of things. This has been months of frustration and cursing Adobe for no apparent reason.

For those on macOS having irratic mouse issues, I have read that this is caused by anything with window snapping enabled. This includes at least Better Touch Tool, Magnet and Multitouch at least. You do not have to disable the program completely for Multitouch and, from what I've read, Magnet. You only have to whitelist the program you are having problems with in either the app settings or, in my case, enabling the menu bar icon and selecting the "Disable gestures for [program]." This will allow you to still use the window snapping for Finder and other programs. It's inconvenient to have to manually resize Photoshop in the rare occassions I have to, but it's a lot better to have working tools and not want to throw a way too expensive laptop through a window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@monkey078  Very interesting!! Thanks for share. I hope this helps the Adobe team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team is looking into, thank you!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new day, a new problem...
Airbrushing on a layer set to clipping creates a big block of transparency.. getting quite tired of starting days with a new problem. Kicking myself for installing the latest version 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Caity, that is good to know.

I've updated to 24.7 but unfortunately the problem still exists for me.
And as I noticed today, it also affects the crop tool!
I just click on the edge and move it and sometimes it gets stuck and does not let go.
So it's probably not related to the space bar button specifically.

Just to take a guess:
Maybe there is a problem with mouses that operate at higher frequencies. (such as gaming mouses)
I'm using the ASUS ROG Gladius at 1000Hz for example.
(Mouses with lower frequency kind of stutter on my 144 Hz monitor)

I hope you will find the solution.
Photoshop is unusable for many people with this bug.
I'm back to 23.5.5 where everything works fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a very simple and cheap mouse and the problem with sticking persists. Here it's not about the mouse, but the fact that this is a very serious Photoshop bug...
Adobe, the whole world is waiting for you to fix this bug. Get together and solve your sticking problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same sticky hand situation here!

Photoshop 25.0.0 Beta

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GHz
Installed RAM - 32.0 GB
OS - Win 10 Pro 22H2 64-bit
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@madhoek Good idea but it seems to have nothing to do with the injection rate of the monitor and the polling rate of the mouse.
The 60hz, 144hz, 240hz monitors were all reproduced
I've tried everything from 125hz to 1000hz as well.

@ignaxing  I haven't been able to try the beta version lately because I haven't had time. Are you saying this hasn't been fixed even at 25.0 beta? That sounds like pretty desperate news.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm I have the same in v24.7 / windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

25.0 same exact issue. Pan tool sometimes gets stack when using "space bar" to pan around. It gets stuck as if I keep holding space bar, but I am not. Same happens when I use pen tool, sometimes it gets stuck on "bezier handles" for some reason, instead of creating another point when I click. This bug was there in 24 and it's now in Beta as well, super annoying. Using PC/Win10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's understandable that after 30 years of using Adobe software, I would expect to be familiar with all its quirks and surprises. However, this particular thread and problem I encountered has proven me wrong. It is true that every software, including Adobe's, can have its flaws and bugs despite regular updates.

What surprised me even more is the fact that this thread and the reported problem have been around for several months, yet no Adobe supporter has addressed it or provided a solution. However, the little trick shown in a posting above of moving Photoshop setting files to a temporary location, restarting Photoshop, and then replacing them with default settings.. to my amazement, this simple trick actually fixed the issue I was facing. Thx, more money left that I do not need to invest (again) in my "special Adobe issues therapist".

I express my astonishment and gratitude for finding this workaround, highlighting that even after decades of experience with Adobe software, there are still new things to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@morganb18456413 It's a beta version, so I'll have to wait for it's... This bug accounts for half of Photoshop 2023, and I'm still keeping the 24.0.1 version due to other mouse cursor bugs besides this bug.
No matter how good, fun, and useful it gets, I'm not thinking of using Photoshop 2024 until this bug is fixed.
I sometimes use Photoshop as a hobby, and even if I experience bugs, I don't know if it's a situation where it's not a big stress for me...
I've been retouching for at least 14 hours a day, and these non-trivial bugs are devastating to me. Every hour, every second.

I sincerely pray that 25.0 (the new 2024 Photoshop) will be resolved.................

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same bug on three very different machines with different hardware and software setups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kalesh It's okay. Everyone's going through it.
It should be solved in 25.0...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fix in progress, we will keep you informed! 

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate