• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: File name and extension highlight when saving on macOS 10.15 Catalina

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. After last updates (Osx Catalina and CC 2020), when the save window appear, the focus, highlite, is on all the file name and extension instead only the filename. I suspect the issue is related to Catalina, but I ask if anyone has noticed the same thing. My working speed is affected and I would like to know if anyone has a solution to ensure that only the file name is highlighted (in save and export).
Thank you
Michele

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or you can use Photoshop 2020 on Mojave, and it's not an issue.

But don't you DARE try to use the latest Adobe Software you're paying for (hear that Adobe?) with the latest Mac operating system! 

we. are. perpetual beta testers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2021 (v22.0) is out... this issue STILL NOT FIXED!!!

Anyone out there using the beta of MacOS 11 Big Sur that can weigh in on whether or not this has been addressed on the OS side of things? Clearly Adobe gives zero f*cks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still broken with v22, ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please please fix this. when exporting, using SAVE FOR WEB, the extension is highlighted. why oh why would you do this in this version? it messes up my entire life    😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so tons of us are having the same problem and we're all super-annoyed by the time it's costing us. Seems like it should be an easy fix, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was first reported in November of 2019. Here we are nearly a year later, and still no progress? This is a HUGE inconvenience and time waster. Get with the program, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a problem with Catalina. I am still running Mojave and have seen the problem only since I upgraded to Photoshop 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add one more very annoyed voice here. I never had this problem until I installed Photoshop 2021. I know it's not a Catalina problem because I'm not running Catalina. I stayed with Mojave so I could keep supporting customers who use InDesign CS6. It's also ridiculous to say it's a Mac issue when literally every other image editing application for the Mac does not have this problem. GIMP, Affinity, etc are all somehow smart enough to not highlight the file extension. But the 800lb gorilla of Photoshop can't, for over a year! Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this productivity glitch takes a bigger hit in MacOS Big Sur...

Now, the filename isn't even selected by default. But like magic, if you hit the tab button 3 times, the filename highlights... aaand so does the extension. Same glitch, now 100% more complicated to overcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@david_mikal_johnson how are you getting it so that the file name isn't highlighted? I'm still getting the full filename and extension highlighted

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here after changing to a new Mac with Catalina (too bad I can't downgrade but that's not part of the disussion here).

On Mojave I didn't have that problem neither with PS2020 nor 2021. On Catalina the extension is selected - on both PS versions.

Changing the bahaviour of the handling of file extensions in preferences doesn't have any effect.

Please, Adobe, come on, this ist really an important thing! It takes much more time adding some characters to the filename than it did before. I want the old behavoir back.

@Adobe: if it's a Catalina problem: built a workaround! If it's a PS problem: fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for web not saving file extension still happening... version 21.2.4 on 10.15.7

come on adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, now that I've had a few days with Big Sur, I've found that sometimes it is selected, and sometimes not. No discernible rhyme or reason as to when or why. `As much as I want to keep everything to the keyboard, I've found that consistently, I can double-click the filename, and it selects ONLY the filename, without the extension. (triple-click will select filename + extension). 

Not ideal, but at least I don't have to drag highlight just the filename, which was annoying, since my filenames can be long and extend beyond that painfully short filename window... which is yet another annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree on the long filenames when it came to click and drag and being painful! 

I'm pretty sure I tried the double click technique in the past and couldn't get it to work (or maybe I did just a single the way you do in Mac OS with a desktop file to change the name without selecting the extension) but if I did it this way in the past and it didn't work BUT the fact it works now is great and is at least somewhat of a workaround until we get a true fix. THANKS for the heads up on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*adrian marshall Just to clarify. The problem is that the extension is selected by default when you go to Save for Web. If you don't change the file name then when you hit Save you will have the extension. If you change the name without either A)unselecting the extension before typing or B)type in the extension after you type what you want the file name to be.

A) is made easier by double click the file name and it will go from name/extension selected to just the name selected. NOT a fix but the best workaround we have at the moment.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today's Photoshop update 22.0.1 thoughtfully makes sure the filename field is selected every time the Save/Save As... window opens—is no longer a hit and miss endeavor. And unthoughtfully, and curiously, it STILL highlights filename AND extension.

Adobe is deaf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know the best way to communicate directly with Adobe?

This issue has been going on for so long and it's a major impediment to productivity. I wish we could know if Adobe even knows about this and whether it's being worked on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*karen_dunne They're aware. I called about this months ago and they said it was a known issue that would be taken care of in a future update. since then, I saw 4 minor updates to 2020, 2021's release and 1 minor update... and still no joy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if there is a solution? Now, December 2020 and it is still not fixed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michele, still the problem continues in, now December 2020. Did anyone give you a solution yet? Kind regards, Hans Bos 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop 2021, when you hit Save As, the save dialog highlights the filename but not the extension so you can type over the filename. But when you hit Save For Web, the save dialog highlights the entire filename, including the extension, so you have to either adjust the selection or retype the extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, am experiencing this with Photoshop 22.1.0 and MacOS Catalina 10.15.7. I did stumble upon a couple of potential workarounds for the "Save As..." and file name and extension being highlighted.

1. After clicking "Save As...," in the "Format:" dropdown menu, if you click off your default format onto another, then, back to your desired format, it will revert to only the title highlighted, without the extension (see screenshot, taken before clicking and all still highlighted).

2. With everything highlighted, hold down the SHIFT key and place your cursor at the end of the file name, before the period in ".psd," and click. That deselects the extension and leaves the file name highlighted.

OR, from only the keyboard -- with title and extension highlighted, 1) hold down the SHIFT key and keep it held; 2) click your RIGHT ARROW key once; 3) click your LEFT ARROW key four times; each left arrow click deselects a character in your extension. Ridiculous, I know, but, it's quicker to do than explain.

It's still a few more clicks and less efficient than it used to be, but, it might save a couple of hairs from being pulled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem. In the past, when I go to SAVE AS a file, or SAVE FOR WEB, a window would open with the current name of the file highlighted in blue. BUT in the past, the extension of the file was NOT highlighted in blue. Which meant I could change the name of the file, but the extension would stay the same. NOW when I open that window, the entire name of the file, AND the extension is highlighted, which means that I have to type in the extension again, when in the past, it would just auto fill into the new saved name.

At first I assumed it was a change in Default Folder, which is a great app, but they just confirmed that it's Adobe's issue, and they have had other complaints about it.

So consider this either a bug, or a (negative) change in behavior in Photoshop. 

Mac OS 10.15.7 Photoshop 22.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, when I want to SAVE AS a file, or SAVE FOR WEB, a window would open with the current name of the file highlighted in blue. BUT in the past, the extension of the file was NOT highlighted in blue. Which meant I could change the name of the file, but the extension would stay the same. NOW when I open that window, the entire name of the file, AND the extension is highlighted, which means that I have to type in the extension again, when in the past, it would just auto fill into the new saved name.

At first I assumed it was a change in Default Folder, which is a great app I use, but they just confirmed that it's Adobe's issue, and they have had other complaints about it.

Any opinions or should we consider this either a bug, or a (negative) change in behavior in Photoshop. 

Mac OS 10.15.7 Photoshop 22.0.0

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still/also happens in Mac 10.14.6 (Mojave) Photoshop 22.1.1 (photoshop 2020 was fine)

Votes

Translate

Translate