• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 25.0 Graphics Processor Compatibility Check fails: Unknown GPU

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I just updated to Photoshop 2024 but I cannot get it to work with GPU acceleration. When I start Photoshop, I get this error: 

I am running a Windows 10 PC with two Nvidia RTX 3090 video cards and a 5950x CPU. 

So far, I have tried:

- Setting Photoshop and sniffer.exe to use my, uh, 'high performance 3090' as opposed to my 'power saving' 3090 (excellent work, Windows)  

elude107_0-1699397546871.png

- Updated to the latest Nvidia studio drivers and installed all Windows 10 updates

elude107_2-1699398040307.png

- Removed 'sniffer.exe' from the Photoshop folder as suggested, causes Photoshop to not boot. 

- Enabled "Older GPU Mode" in the Technology Previews, get same error so I disabled it again. 

-  Tried setting the GPU in Nvidia Control Panel, but I don't have a "Preferred GPU" setting like a laptop or PC with integrated graphics. 

- Disabled SLI

- Uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop 2024

- Manually ran sniffer.exe, it sees the video cards just fine

elude107_1-1699397868843.png

Thanks for the update Adobe, it works really well

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

If all's well, I would just check the box at the bottom. I assume Nao mostrar novamente means Do Not Show Again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Updating status

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 208 Replies 208
208 Comments
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark.Dahm Mark, I don't think this is related to plugins/hardware and etc. Mostly this is related on some changes inside new sniffer, that cause 2 issues here. 

1 - not recognising multi GPU's

2 - not closing and getting MANY instances in Memory left

and 3 - When point 2 is active - then you CAN'T even do UPDATES of Photoshop, till you kill sniffer.exe in Task Manager.

So, for me all clues are going just inside sniffer.exe. Compare what is changed between those 2 versions and you will get it 🙂

Best!

Nik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark.Dahm yes, removing sniffer.exe was the first thing I tried and then Photoshop no longer starts up. Then I had the idea to drop in an older version andd that worked. 

All this clearly points to a problem with sniffer.exe in my opinion, based on years of experience with faulty software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed that all neural filters (but one, Color Transfer) are inactive and have an exclamation mark top left in their panel. Since they worked flawlessly in PS23 or PS24 I guess this is related to this bug and despite the fact that the older sniffer.exe lets me start Photoshop25 without the GPU error, there is still something wrong. Since PS performance is way worse than in 23 or 24, I guess there are more problems than just sniffer.exe.

I think I go back to PS24 unless I need the new AI-based features like AI fill or AI expand, since PS25 does not seem to be production ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating status

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In today's 25.3 Beta update sniffer is not fixed still!

We need FIX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my photoshop 2024, after updating windows, when I open it, a message appears saying that "your graphics processor is incompatible" and it also says that "driver update recommended" and that "OpenCL is unavailable", but the video card driver is Updated to the latest version and Windows too. But the video card is being recognized normally by photoshop in the preferences/performance tab. the only problem is the message that appears when I open photoshop.

My notebook configurations are an i7 13 generation processor, 32 GB of RAM and an RTX 4050 graphics card.

Captura de tela 2023-11-17 235516.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new ASUS ProArt Studiobook. RTX 4070 Studio driver (up to date) and since last update, PS' GPU Compatability screen indicates OpenCL not available and that i need to update driver. 

I've already tried (1) set PS2024 and sniffer to Nvidia Driver; (2) clean install of driver; (3) clean install of PS2024 (removed preferences). 

Seems others having same issue. Please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@becomingcharly I've seen lots of post about the RTX 4070 and GPU related issues in the latest version of Photoshop, it's not just the RTX 4070, other users have reported issues with the RTX 30XX one's as well.

The RTX 3090 that I have works fine for me with Photoshop version 25.1 on Windows 11.

Do you use the Studio or Game Ready driver, Adobe recommends the Studio version.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  I am using the Studio driver (in original post). 

Glad it works on yours, but no go on mine as of last week. It was fine before. 😕

Thanks for the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed. This is definitely not normal!

In another thread, there seems to be indications that the Sniffer.exe in v25 could be problematic - enough so that this is currently under investigation at Adobe. We'll see what comes out of it.

When I bought my RTX 3060, the 30xx-series had been on the market for one and a half years, and I remember thinking that the days of GPU trouble seemed to be over. I couldn't remember seeing a single complaint in the Photoshop forum for that whole time (except the easily diagnosed ones). These GPUs just seemed extremely reliable.

I later got an RTX 4060 for my other machine, and they have both been rock solid.

And then, just recently, something changed. I have no idea what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope the Sniffer route is the issue and Adobe supplies a remedy. 

Specifically, the message box says...(1) OpenCL not available, but it is greyed out in Advanced Settings, and (2) Update Driver (it is updated to max).

Frustrating...for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unavailable OpenCL is typical. That's the most common issue. All these cases obviously have something in common.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dislike hearing that, but glad I'm not alone. Crossing fingers here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all's well, I would just check the box at the bottom. I assume Nao mostrar novamente means Do Not Show Again.

Photographer | Shangara.me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends
I have an I7 12700H laptop
RTX 3070 Ti
Until two days ago everything was fine and the software works fine
Now when I open Photoshop a warning message pops up saying that the video card drivers are not up to date and OPENCL is not available
All the drivers are updated, also updated for the STUDIO
I don't understand how everything was fine until two days ago and now this message pops up every time

Thanx...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cosmic30923787o35b 

I've moved your post from Creative Cloud Desktop to the Photoshop forum where you will get better help with this issue.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is apparently a recent bug. There has been a flood of similar posts recently, much much more than we usually see.

Perhaps a moderator could find time to start merging all these threads into this one? It has to be the same issue.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-photoshop-25-0-graphics-processor-compatib... 

There are indications that there may be a problem with the Sniffer.exe in v 25. In that thread, a user managed to replace it with the previous sniffer.exe, and then the problems stopped.

This is under investigation. We'll just have to see how it plays out. Can you roll back to v 24 for now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'll try now....thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Photoshop and installed the previous version and still this message pops up at the beginning

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Also with Asus Proart Studiobook and 4070. On photoshop and premiere pro from what I have seen. Everything worked fine a few days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm bumping this thread because we now have a virtual avalanche of GPU-related threads, most of them affecting current RTX 30- and 40-series. It's gone from one a month to five or ten a day, seemingly overnight. Clearly, something just happened.

I'm not a moderator, but someone should consider if those other threads should be merged into this one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to fix this? My driver is up to date and I use Photoshop 25.1. I didnt have this problem a few days ago. In the Nvidia control panel under 3D Settings, my preferred processor for Photoshop is set to my Nvidia card and that doesnt seem to fix the problem. Screenshot 2023-11-19 111711.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate