Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook M3 Pro - Recurring Essential Graphics Crash

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2024 Oct 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue:

Use of Type Tool and Essential Graphics panel causing Premiere Pro to crash. Similar crashes recreated when editing text in After Effects too. 

Adobe Premiere Pro version number: 
24.6.1 (Build 2)

Issue has been recreated after downgrading through multiple previous versions, back to 24.0.

Operating system: 
macOS Sonoma 14.7

System Info: 
MacBook Pro 14-inch, Nov 2023
CPU: M3 Pro
RAM: 18 GB
Hard Drives: 
APPLE SSD A0512Z (Internal)
CRUCIAL X6 SSD (External - USB-C)
SAMSUNG T7 SHIELD (External - USB-C)
SANDISK EXTREME PORT. SSD (External - USB-C)

Video format: 

Issue has occurred (and can be recreated) with a range of formats and codecs inc. ProRes LT/422/4444, mp4, h264, MXF 

Workflow details: 

Issue initially occurred while working in a complex Production file, but also occurs and has been recreated in simple sequences and/or projects (inc. test projects, with one sequence, one ProRes source file and one new text layer)

Steps to reproduce:

Reproducing within new project:

1. Create new project and dummy sequence

2. Use Type Tool* to create new text layer within a sequence

Reproducing within an existing project:

1. Open project

2. Enable playback on timeline featuring existing text layers*

*NB: Issue has also recurred with use of Text Panel when creating or editing captions etc. 

Expected result:
Normal playback / general function

Actual result: 
Crash with “Sorry, an error occured" dialogue, sometimes immediately upon opening project with text layers - other times after a period of normal behaviour.
Crashes never seem to be preceded by any lag or Mac spinning wheel - just an immediate, hard crash.

Steps to resolve (with no success) have so far included:

• Cleared Media Caches
  • Ran Adobe Creative Cloud diagnostics
    Suggested solutions were to update Premiere Pro (version was already up to date) + reset all preferences.
  • Reset all preferences
  • Loaded projects with all third-party plug-ins disabled
  • Imported existing sequences into new project files
  • Re-located cache file and scratch disk locations

• Tested on second machine, where issue was not replicable:
    iMac 27-inch Retina 5K, 2020
    macOS: Monterey
    CPU: 3.6ghz 10-core i9
    RAM: 64gb DDR4
    Hard Drives: (as above)
  • Reinstalled Adobe Premiere Pro
  • Downgraded through various Adobe Premiere Pro 24 versions
  • Deleted all third-party fonts
  • Reset / alternated workspaces
  • Uninstalled Adobe Creative Cloud
  • Ran Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner tool
  • Manually located and removed remaining Adobe system preference files before re-install of Adobe CC and apps
  • Reinstalled macOS with restoration of files

Steps to resolve (with some success):
  • Complete erase and reinstall of macOS with no restoration of previous file system - see below notes

Other notes:

The issue appeared to begin after I pasted either a six-per-em space or thin space plain text/unicode character into an existing text layer within a complex Pr Production file (let’s call it “PRODUCTION A”).

I suspected this may have caused some kind of weird conflict or corruption, but guessed it was probably correlation rather than causation once the issue occurred in other, unrelated project files / was reproduced with totally new, test projects.

Completing and often repeating the above steps to resolve had no noticeable effect on resolving the issue until I did a complete erase and re-install of macOS.

I was then able to open and work normally in multiple projects which had previously crashed in the same manner for 1-2 days. Then, after opening a project in PRODUCTION A for the first time since re-installing macOS - the issue recurred.

It’s worth noting that the project within PRODUCTION A was a copy I’d made that - as far as I’m aware - had all text and/or graphics layers removed or disabled, but I'd need to confirm this. 

Thank you. 

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 14, 2024 Oct 14, 2024

Hello @defaultmk0xc9xl1tkm,

Thanks for all the info. Since devs just fixed a bug in v.25 related to .mxf footage, kindly create a test project and see if you have the issue. Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
2 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2024 Oct 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @defaultmk0xc9xl1tkm,

Thanks for all the info. Since devs just fixed a bug in v.25 related to .mxf footage, kindly create a test project and see if you have the issue. Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2024 Oct 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @Kevin-Monahan

I created a test project in v.25 and didn't encounter any issues after a few minutes of toying around with overlaying MXF footage with text, but attempting to do the same in an existing project (converted for v.25) did immedately cause a crash. 

For reference - the existing project sequence isn't overly complex, included MXF and MOV files but no active text/elements involving Essential Graphics. 

Votes

Translate

Translate