Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Frame substitution attempt aborting error - .MXF Files

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 8-30-24:  

We have released an update in beta that is a potential fix for these frame recursion errors.  

Please download 25 beta and see if that helps your issue?   

You can find Premiere Pro version 25 beta in the creative cloud desktop app in the sidebar under beta apps.  Thank You!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen a number of posts about this, and am now running into the problem myself. Although there are a few differences I'd like to share that I'm hoping may shed more light on what appears to be a longstanding issue.

Specs: M3 Max Macbook Pro (64GB RAM), Sonoma 14.3.1, Premiere Pro 24.1.0

The .MXF files were shot XAVC-I from the Sony FX6 shot on a V90 card. I copied the entire memory card structure to my internal drive, and imported the clips using the media browser. The clips are 59.94 fps and 23.976 fps on a 23.976 timeline.

As I perform regular editing tasks (slowing 59.94 clips to 40%, adding clips to timeline, scrolling through), I get these error messages.

BUT, here's the kicker: I'm not actually seeing dropped frames yet. For one of the clips I received the error on, I decided to go to the source window and scroll through frame by frame. I didn't see any black frames, but scrolling through did create 9 new error messages at different frames.

Aside from the error popups being annoying, this is a project that many people are depending on. If these dropped frames actually do end up showing, I'll be in a bad spot. It seems as though with every new project, I have to factor in at least a day to deal with errors or bugs in Premiere. I shouldn't have to be constantly fighting with the tools that allow me to do my job. Moreover, the C70 and FX6 both shoot in .MXF and are fixtures of video production. Frankly, I'm taken aback that there hasn't been more meaningful support from Adobe on this.

I'm currently creating ProRes Proxies to see if that may solve the issue, but I'm concerned that this will only solve the problem in editing, and the error (dropped frames) may show up once exported.

Does anyone have thoughts on why this may be happening? Is it time to switch to Resolve like everyone seems to be saying, or could this be a workflow issue on my end?

Many thanks!

Bug Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Import and ingest , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 20, 2024 Aug 20, 2024

Hi @Anthony LV  @rranney  @telecam2 @Christiaan1 @juhaniv94094739 @Juerg5CF2 and anyone else experiencing frame recursion errors. - 

We just released an update in beta that is a potential fix for these frame recursion errors.  Can you try downloading 25.0.0 build 29 or later and see if that helps your issue?   

Version 25 is part of our next major release so it is not backwards compatible to 24, but it would be good to know if this version helps your issue.  

You can find Premiere Pro version 25

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 380 Replies 380
380 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2024 Sep 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 25.1.0 Build 8. It's not having any trouble with .mxf video now, but it has trouble with audio sometimes. Nothing big, just sound drops out and it throws a warning message. But this is a minor quibble. It's miles ahead of v24 when it comes to dealing with .mxf video, Dare I say they fixed it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2024 Sep 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

Would you mind screenshotting the media metadata and sequence settings dialogue box? What GPU are you using? I work for a company with dozens of editors and solved this issue by adjusting a couple of items on the sequence side. Proxies are always a plus and exporting through ME never hurts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
Not sure what you specifically mean by media meta data - but the
problematic files are MXF from Sony FS7, not sure of the data rate, but not
super high.

GPU is
[image: Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 2.41.37 PM.png]

Mac Info is
[image: Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 2.42.58 PM.png]

Here's the sequence settings:
[image: Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 2.36.40 PM.png]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, replied via email and images didn't attach.  I'm having similar problems with mxf files, starting about 3-4 weeks ago.

GPU

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 2.41.37 PM.png

 Mac

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 2.51.42 PM.png

 sequence settings

Screen Shot 2024-09-12 at 2.36.40 PM.png

 No longer getting substitution error message, but the mxf files hang, updating to a new still frame every couple of seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

25.1.0 Beta (Build 11) has cleared up all issues with our C70 .mxf files on our studio PCs!  It's the best performance I've seen so far.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate