• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Premiere 24.5 Keeps Freezing and Crashing

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Premiere keeps crashing and freezing for no apparent reason.

For instance: If I press play in my timeline, and try to trim an audio clip (while the playhead is playing), premiere freezes for about 5 seconds (audio and video freezes, then after 5 seconds playback starts).

This never used to be a problem in premiere before and it slows down my worklow significantly.

Similar freeze whenever I jump to a different spot in the sequence and press play.

Technical Info:

- Adobe Premiere Pro version number: v 24.5

- System Info: Mac Studio 22, Apple M1 Max Chip, 32GB RAM, and we are working on an EditShare server, connected via Thunderbolt 10gbit/s

- Video Format: 4K 4:2:2 10 Bit, mk2 MXF Files (Canon C300 Mark III, Canon C60),  Proxies in Apple ProRes LT

- Workflow details: We work mainly in Multicam Sequences with 2 cameras and an external audio recorder

- Steps to reproduce: I just setup a fresh project, imported all the files (about 3TB), and created Multicam Sequences for each day of filming. Then i put these Multicams into source monitor and created select cuts into new sequences.

Things I tried to fix this:

- resetting cache/preferences

- importing the whole Project into a fresh one

- flatten all the Multicam Clips in the edit sequence

- make offline and relink all the footage and proxies

Please help.

Kind regards,

Philipp Schwab

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Hello @Philipp_TL,

I'm Kevin, one of the moderators here. Thanks for filing this bug report and for providing the information you did. The team will need to reproduce the error. I hope they can respond to your report soon. Sorry for the frustration. I updated the status of your bug report, as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Hi @Philipp_TL - We have received your project, and are investigating.  Thank you.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
20 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to set audio input to none, and get back to us with any results please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the quick reply – I put in on no input, restarted premiere and the problem still persists.

It's not only when trimming audio files, also happens whenever i trim a video clip or do an edit of some sorts.

Even if i pause the playback, do my edit (add cut or whatever) and then hit playback, it also takes a few seconds for the playback to start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Philipp_TL,

I'm Kevin, one of the moderators here. Thanks for filing this bug report and for providing the information you did. The team will need to reproduce the error. I hope they can respond to your report soon. Sorry for the frustration. I updated the status of your bug report, as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Philipp_TL - Can you upload a video of the problems you are experiencing?  Does this occur with the MXF files or the Proxies or both?  Is your cache local or on a network?  Does you experience this on the Beta 24.6?

If you could try doing one more thing, Go to the menu bar under Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout.  Also, just to confirm if you hold down shift while opening premiere you can check the box that resets your cache. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @jamieclarke thanks alot for your reply!

Here's a video of the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCa2KFosDoM 

It accurs with the ProRes Proxies aswell as the original MFX files.

The cache is located on our server. I haven't tried the new 24.6 Beta, since I can't see it in my Creative Cloud App. Should I download it manually?

"Reset to Saved Layout" didn't help unfortunately and holding down shift while launching is indeed the way I always clear the cache.

Strangely enough after further observation I noticed, that within the same project, some sequences have this issue more than others (on one sequence it only stops for half a second, whenever i trim/edit) and there are some sequences where I can trim while playback without any stutter or freeze! 

The sequences I compared are all setup the same way. I compared the sequence settings and they are identical.

Edit: Also the type of audio and video files are all identical in this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Philipp_TL - In the Creative Cloud Desktop App there is a section labeled Beta Apps that is where you can download Premiere Pro 24.6 Beta.  Can you send me the Project file at jamiec@adobe.com If it is too big to email you can upload to google drive, dropbox etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks @jamieclarke, I just sent the Project-File to you via we-transfer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2024 Jul 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Philipp_TL - We have received your project, and are investigating.  Thank you.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been receiving the same error and its very frustrating not able to do any work properly. The timeline just freezes, unable to select, trim or do any changes on the timeline without waiting for significant amount of time. Same for audio as well. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2024 Jul 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue on a Windows 10 PC.  It's extremely frustrating, I am saving after each movement, and it always happens after cutting a clip, or trying to add a sound or video transition

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues, Premiere freezes and then shuts down my iMAC which is really bad for my external SSD where my projects are located. Need a fix for this asap 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2024 Jul 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

makes it hard to even work its really frustrating and i just moved to premiere and happy to finally have the industry standard. wish they would fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2024 Aug 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with the spinning wheel on my Mac Pro 2019. The whole computer basically goes to a stand still that I haveto force shut it down. So tired of Adobe's recent technical performance I don't even know why my organization supports the whole CC platform. I've been ready to jump ship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2024 Aug 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @raymondocampo,

I read about your issue. Which format is it? 4K HEVC? With Xeon processors, you do not have Quick Sync onboard, which is necessary for editing Long GOP formats natively. Does the same thing happen with ProRes footage, or is that already what you're using? Let us know. I hope the community can offer some assistance.

@raymondocampo

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2024 Aug 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kevin-Monahan,

Apologies for the delayed response as I was trouble-shooting the rest of the day yesterday. I use HEVC in both HD and 4K for our internal org. I realize Quick Sync is embedded in Intel Core i processors, but editing with a Xeon has never been an issue especially since the Mac relies on the GPU instead for encoding/decoding which I'm using an RX 6900 XT.

Unless I'm mistaken Premiere Pro leverages GPU encoding/decoding or does it only have the programming to leverage Intel's Quick Sync technology?

In any case, the spinning wheel is not related to the decoding of the footage. I have no problems with playback/editing. It's only been recent PP and Media Encoder that I'm experiencing the computer hanging completely that it actually even shuts down and restarts by itself. When I'm not using these apps, no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2024 Aug 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been a solution to this yet??? I was chatting with a technical assistant for 3 hours last night who seeminlgy fixed it. Then it started happening again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi @gabrielat63958019 

they reveived my project file almost a month ago – no fix yet..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the solution that support helped fix?  Did anything change from when they helped you and now it's broken again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue on my Windows 10 machine. We're editing the same type of video we've been editing, in the same way we've been editing, from the same cameras we've been using, etc (in other words; no changes to the system or workflow) for several years and now suddenly Premiere keeps freezing up when we stop playing a squence and won't "unlock" for a good ammout of time (in some cases up to 4 minutes) before it will start playing again. 

We have versions of Premiere on the system dating back to Premiere 2020 and ALL of them seem to be doing it.

Any thoughts or help on this issue would be greatly apperciated becuase we're now several days behind on work and we can't make up the time at this pace.

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @ubiFire - Do you have any panels open, like the effects panel?  Can you post a screen recording of your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate