• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably the way the two interact. I have no problem at all with after effects which relies heavily on cuda and also non with FCPX which I use on a near daily basis with lots of layers and effects going on. I had the same issue with a demo of Sapphire Edge that I immediately ditched for that reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willard,

I have no problem at all with after effects which relies heavily on cuda...

FYI: After Effects only uses CUDA for one obsolete feature, and my opinion is that you should be using Cinema 4D instead of that feature anyway.

Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, I forgot to mentioned that I use after effectief in conjuctiiin with element 4d. I Cannot affird Cinema4d. Als I don't have Chrome not spotify installed on my computer. Iake habit out of not tuning other memorystick intensive or graphic apps while editing. The only way to avoid glitches and crashes is to run première projects in software only mode. The other day I openend a project two weeks to change ine name title in the title tool. And on playback to check it crached instantly. This was set to cuda.

Op 14 mrt. 2015 om 00:59 heeft Kevin-Monahan <forums_noreply@adobe.com> het volgende geschreven:

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

created by Kevin-Monahan in Premiere Pro - View the full discussion

Hi Willard,

I have no problem at all with after effects which relies heavily on cuda...

FYI: After Effects only uses CUDA for one obsolete feature, and my opinion is that you should be using Cinema 4D instead of that feature anyway.

Regards,

Kevin

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7291951#7291951 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7291951#7291951

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this helps, but we're only seeing this issue on our Macbook Pros running Premiere. Our 2012 Mac Pros (old school style), all running Nvidia graphics cards and Premiere exclusively, don't have a problem with CUDA. We do have a couple of new iMac graphics stations that aren't having issues but they're running Cinema 4D and After Effects, not Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2015 Mar 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ kevinbfIt also occurs on iMacs. And since it also occurred in FCPX with a Sapphire Edge I assume it has to do with the mobile NVDIA cards, Cuda and specific applications working together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jevchance,

Have you switched to Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration OpenCL yet? That may alleviate this issue.

Also avoid using GPU centric applications like Google Chrome and Spotify.

Running those two applications along with Premiere Pro using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration CUDA may trigger this behavior.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi J,

I just updated from OS X 10.8.5 where I never saw this issue to OS X 10.10.2 where I didn't see the issue until I installed CUDA and changed the MPE to CUDA. I had the iTunes music store running in the background. My Source Monitor and Finder exhibited the issues from this post. System Preferences > Energy Saver had the Automatic graphics switching function disabled.

Switching to Open CL stops the glitching, but with NVIDIA graphics cards that are meant for CUDA performance, you don't get as smooth playback as you normally would.

Yes, I ran MPE on OpenCL for the last few days with no issues or screen corruption. I didn't notice any performance issues with my DSLR HD files.

Come on Adobe, release a fix patch or something.

Engineering is in touch with Apple on this. For now, I think it's best to avoid GPU centric applications. If you are only running Premiere Pro and Safari (which don't require the discrete GPU), I think you'll be OK.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

For me, it's hard to get through the day without Chrome ... I rely on it.

Do you think it's effective to disable graphics acceleration via

Chrome -> Settings ->  Advanced -> System -> Unselect 'Use hardware acceleration when available'

Is that kinda the same as using Safari? After doing that, gfxCardStatus no longer mentions Chrome as needing the discrete graphics.

And can you ask Peter how it's going? Is there any progress at all? Seems like every day 3 new people have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JW,

For me, it's hard to get through the day without Chrome ... I rely on it.

Oh, interesting. How so?

Do you think it's effective to disable graphics acceleration via

Chrome -> Settings ->  Advanced -> System -> Unselect 'Use hardware acceleration when available'

Sounds like a great idea.

Is that kinda the same as using Safari? After doing that, gfxCardStatus no longer mentions Chrome as needing the discrete graphics.

Sounds like it.

And can you ask Peter how it's going? Is there any progress at all? Seems like every day 3 new people have this issue.

You can send him a PM directly, if you like.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this?  It's severely slowing down production having to work with CUDA disabled, because other applications, like Resolve, require it to be installed and used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOLY CRAP !

nvidia just released a new CUDA driver: NVIDIA DRIVERS 7.0.29

This is from 2 days ago! How come nobody said anything??

Anybody know anything about this? petergaraway‌?? Kevin-Monahan‌ ?

It's a whole version number up, the first in the 7 series!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make our problems go away ...

Installing now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2015 Mar 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JudgeWolf

Any luck on the new driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JudgeWolf,

I installed the new drivers. In doing some basic testing and they do seem more robust for basic editing tasks. Also, it was not as easy to force the "combing" effect you see creeping into the UI, other applications, and the Finder. However, open enough applications that use the discrete GPU and you will see it return.

I also performed a stress test with many GPU accelerated effects. In most cases Premiere Pro holds up fine. However, if you apply a ton of effects, on many tracks, it is possible to crash the OS. Because of this, I would advise caution if you use a lot of effects, masked effects, adjustment layers, nested sequences with lots of effects, and multi camera sequences with a lot of effects.

I'm sure we'll hear more experiences once the drivers have been used by users for awhile.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in other words, no change

Any actual news yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked all day yesterday, with CUDA on, and with Chrome open, and had no issues.

It was a relatively "light" day, but overall performance was much much better.

I am also on 10.9. Can't speak for 10.10.

A friend had issues, but they went away after he restarted.

DON'T FORGET TO REBOOT AFTER INSTALLING THE NEW DRIVERS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 10.10 and just had a wonderful positive experience. For the first time in months I was able to encode a short 1 minute Timelapse using the new CUDA drivers. But I did have to reboot...hahaha I tried to encode right after I installed and heard the dreaded sheep sound and the encoding failed...;-)

Now all seems stable......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope,

Just had a random shutdown

I'm on 10.9.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...And another

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time it ran for a couple of hours fine. Now it's worse than before

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan, thanks for you work on keeping us updated. Hopefully this new driver fixes the majority of the issues with Cuda/Apple/Nvidia/Adobe. It will be interesting to see more people reply with their results.

Again, if anyone hasn't read the above few posts, please update your CUDA driver to version 7 and then restart your computer.

zanlyons‌, I'd request a couple things from you. Please keep repeat posting to a minimum; instead do some testing and then post back with your results. I know you are frustrated, as are many others, but please remain patient as the engineers are working on fixing this issue. It is now being looked at and there is not much more we could ask. It's unfortunate that the update and restart did not help prevent the glitches/shutdowns as it did with the other users above, perhaps your error is slightly different, or the issue has not been fixed 100%. Please take some time to test and then respond back with what you've found.

Best,

Spencer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the new driver, and edited heavily in Premiere for 2 hours. Everything was working fantastic.

Then the glitches came back. Seemed to occur when I started applying Magic Bullet looks.

Premiere just crashed. Of course last autosave is corrupted, and  lost 40 minutes of work. So things are definitely back to  ......   normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ViewMaster,

I downloaded the new driver, and edited heavily in Premiere for 2 hours. Everything was working fantastic.

Then the glitches came back. Seemed to occur when I started applying Magic Bullet looks.

Sorry that happened.

Have you contacted Red Giant to make sure that those plug-ins are compatible with your version of Premiere Pro and Yosemite? I looked on their website and it's somewhat ambiguous as to what is supported.

Is Magic Bullet Looks GPU accelerated? I don't have them installed, so I'm not sure about them.

Did you have any other applications running?

Premiere just crashed. Of course last autosave is corrupted, and  lost 40 minutes of work. So things are definitely back to  ......   normal.

Sorry to hear that. As you are testing these new drivers, do save often. That's what I've been doing.

So you said, "Premiere Pro crashed." Did Premiere Pro actually crash, or did the whole computer restart due to a kernel panic? Either way, did you save the report so I can look at it?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spnsir‌ I've had a year to "test" the issue with every new driver and OS version and as you can see from the 2 posts above, the issue has NOT yet been fixed.

I am more than frustrated. It has taken Adobe a year to even acknowledge the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Zanlyons,

spnsir I've had a year to "test" the issue with every new driver and OS version and as you can see from the 2 posts above, the issue has NOT yet been fixed.

Can you try updating to OS X 10.10? Others have reported better performance on that OS.

I have a few questions as I don't have a complete picture of your system or the kind of project you're working on.

• I know that you are working with "a laptop." Obviously a Mac, but which one?
    • What kind of GPU are you using for GPU acceleration?
    • Does it have more than 1 GB VRAM?
  • I understand you work at 1080p. How effects intensive are your projects?
    • Do you work with lots of video tracks?
    • Many real time GPU accelerated effects?
    • Nested sequences with effects applied to them?
    • Masked effects?
    • Large/long sequences?
    • Multi camera sequences with lots of tracks and effects applied?
  • Any attached devices to your laptop?
    • Any devices connected via Thunderbolt?
    • Any external monitors?
  • What kind of drives do you use?
    • Are they internal or external?
    • If external, how are they connected?

By the way, I also can get my MacBook Pro into a kernel panic with these drivers and enough effects applied after around 30 minutes of steady playback.

My observations:

• No other applications running except Safari.
  • 1/2 resolution
  • Only have 1 GB VRAM in the NVIDIA 650M.
    • This GPU is underpowered
  • Computer case gets warm
    • After a few minutes, fans blowing the entire time
    • CPUs and GPU gets a lot warmer according to temperature monitoring

My conclusion: I think that on OS X 10.9, and later, with these drivers and an underpowered GPU, there is a limitation to the amount of GPU effects you can work with. If you do a lot of effects work, consider a more powerful Mac or PC tower where many GPUs can be added to assist effects heavy projects.

I hope these drivers will be improved in subsequent versions. NVIDIA have been putting out new drivers at a steady pace, so I'm sure it won't be long until we see more updates from them.

BTW, when I was on OS X 10.8.5 just two weeks ago with this very machine, I saw none of these issues while running Premiere Pro. Never. Frustrating indeed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I'm using a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2 GB of ram. I have 16 GB of ram on my machine.

I do use nests and masking. All work fine when not using CUDA.

No devices connected and no external monitor.

The first time the whole computer had a Kernel Panic. The next time, just Premiere. Then Kernel panic. Then I switched back to Open CL.

Yes, the fans are blowing non-stop. This also happens when not using CUDA. Only CUDA makes my crash and kernel panic. When using Open CL, I can have nests in nests with masks on each instance with no problem at full resolution

Projects are not very effect heavy. I usually use the 3 way color corrector. Sometimes I use Red Giant Universe plug ins and luma key

Can you confirm that 10.10 is running without incidents? I'd rather wait if not, just to be on the safe side

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines