• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Documentation - Interlacing and Field Order

Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was going to assist another user with information about de-interlacing footage in the forum, but was appalled at the quality of the Adobe guide on this functionality.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/interlacing-field-order.html

Version Information
Currently V23 and V24 of Premiere Pro are supported (and also V22 for enterprise). Which versions of Premiere Pro does this page apply to?

Illustration

The illustration is poorly thought out. The upper “A&B” illustration should make clear that the field scanning happens consecutively in time, but the size differences and the 2 arrows for A and B fields confuse this issue (the time axis should be 1 line along which the viewer travels). Also this illustration is a lost opportunity to make upper/lower, odd/even field (the lexicon) clear. Also, field scanning is best illustrated by a visual subject's movement across 2 feilds, resulting in combed details (absent here) on the final frame and contrasted with 1 progressive frame. Finally, the “progressive” frame still has the alternating scanline look of 2 fields? Why? Confusing.

Field dominance and field reversal
This is the first time on the page that we’ll discuss field order, but the section doesn’t define “field dominance” nor does it state that field order and field dominance are the same thing. Clarity: define your terms. This section talks about how field order can become reversed. Then it finishes. All done with field dominance?

Create interlaced or non-interlaced clips
In spite of this title, this section is not about creating clips (neither interlace or non-interlaced), but modifying how fields are interpreted as frames within clips, or how frames can be modified creating fields within clips. This kind of imprecise language is precisely how users get frustrated or become confused.

The section starts out being about de-interlacing, or creating de-interlaced frames in a clip. Then suddenly we’re talking about field order mismatch and reversing field order (if we don't know that field order and field dominance are the same thing, suddenly we think we're talking about something new, but actually we're back to the previous section) … shouldn’t this be part of the field dominance section above? What has this got to do with de-interlacing or creating fields? Let’s be clear … field order mismatch issues and de-interlacing (along with interlacing) are two distinct things.
Then we’re discussing how to create fields from frames suddenly, but we’ve sort of arrived here trying to understand the “processing options” for Reverse Field Dominance. I can assure you that if you are trying to reach someone who is trying to learn how to “interlace clips created by animation applications not capable of generating interlaced frames.” they have not made it through field order mismatch, reversing field order, and processing options for same to arrive here.

But let's push on:

Interlace Consecutive Frames
What I’m seeing is that this option is not always available. Or maybe it’s no longer available in Premiere Pro? Some explanation as to when this appears / doesn’t appear would be helpful.

Always De-interlace
Here’s an odd software design choice … because the option here is “always” de-interlace. Not “sometimes” (did I miss that option somewhere?). Makes me wonder about the other options. It makes me wonder about speed options ("always" reverse speed or just sometimes?). It makes me wonder about sequence settings ("always" 48kHz or just sometimes?). It makes me wonder about keyboard shortcuts ("always" save with command S?) It makes me wonder about so much. Suggestion: how about just a "de-interlace" option, and I'll just assume the software always does it when that checkbox is checked?

But there is some real information listed here on how Premiere Pro achieves this. (Thanks!) However, it says Premiere Pro “interpolates the missing lines based on the lines of the dominant field.” The problem is that “interpolate” can mean many things. Does it double lines? Or does it create completely new lines based on the those above and below? Dictionary definition of “interpolate” is: insert, alter, interject. Users are left to guess.

Flicker Removal
It doesn’t say “always” so …

“Note”
There’s a special note that in progressive sequences, the “always de-interlace” option “retains the upper field”. Best to be clear here and emphasize that the lower field is discarded. Here’s a good computer rule: always tell the user when you’re discarding information. Users want to know.

“Note” (not the same as above, this the next note)
This note directs users to Choose Clip > Video Options > Frame Blend.
Of course, this is incorrect and should read Choose Clip > Video Options > Time Interpolation > Frame Blend.
But this note should probably also direct users to where this exact same setting is available in the “clip speed / duration” dialog box.

But also, why is Optical flow not discussed here?

Change the Field Order of a Clip
Okay … so this is the third time on this page we’re dealing with field order. This is not a good way to structure the page.
Also … suddenly we’re talking about “all instances of a clip in all sequences of a project”. Suddenly I’m doubting what I’ve learned above. Do the things I’ve learned above apply to all instances? Maybe not because suddenly this is new here. Above it told me I could “Select a clip in a Timeline panel or in the Project panel.” … do they lead to different outcomes on the level of “all instances”? This secton introduces a new concept (how this affects clips across a project) that leads me to question how the information above fits into this previously undiscussed aspect.

Missing Information

There’s no mention on the page of how the Time interpolation settings interact with de-interlace when it is 100% speed. Does it improve the de-interlace? Do nothing? More guessing.

Edit: More Missing Information

Apparently Premiere Pro does automatic de-interlacing (if you place an interlaced clip in a progressive timeline). This is not mentioned anywhere on this page. As this is likely the primary source of questions on this matter, it should be prominent, along with how this automatic interlacing is acheived, and how the time interpolation settings interacting with this automatic process. And from a software design perspective, if there is an "automatic" effect like de-interlacing affecting a clip, there should be some indication somewhere (on the fx badge?) that such a thing is occurring. Feedback. Users want to know.

And finally, from all the above, it seems that progressive clips can be modified to be "interlaced", but if these are placed in a progressive timeline ... are they automatically de-interlaced? The aspect of how clip and timeline settings interact needs to be addressed and presented in a clear way.

This page leaves me with the impression that whoever wrote it does not understand the tech - the exact opposite of what I want to feel when I read a manual. It is a murky mix of “how-to” and reference manual, without being useful as either.

R.
@Kevin-Monahan 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Hi R.,

Thanks for the post. You can file documentation bugs via the Adobe Experts program. I will ensure that they receive your feedback. Take care.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting on this!

I've had the occasional need to go one way or the other, and of course, helping others also. And you're right, the "help" is anything but helpful on this very specific and technical question.

The best help I've gotten for this is from the members of the Premiere Pro pro editors page on Facebook! Warren and Jarle, a few others from here, and several other broadcast-experienced folks were very helpful.

We really need better documentation on this matter ... among others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the deep dive on this topic, of which the proximate cause was apparently my post elsewhere! I have struggled to find the definitive answer to the best settings to go from 480i to 480p at 59.94 fps in the hope of using both fields so that no visual info is lost. I hope Adobe rewrites the help page to address the typical use cases of this tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have struggled to find the definitive answer to the best settings to go from 480i to 480p at 59.94 fps in the hope of using both fields so that no visual info is lost.

By @TS1993

As i wrote in the other thread you can just drop interlaced 29.97 into an progressive 59.94 timeline. The 29.97 footage contains 59.94 half frames and when dropping them on a progressive 59.94 timeline field 1 will be frame 1, field 2 will be frame 2, etc. All fields/both fields will be used. No need to deinterlace or do anything else, Premiere Pro takes care of everything in the bg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Averdahl, thanks for the additional info.

Do you know of any documentation by Adobe regarding this?

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know of any documentation by Adobe regarding this?

By @Remote Index

AFAIK no, but i haven´t looked for it either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LONG discussion about this and other cadence issues on the Premiere Pro Editors facebook page included many people with long experience in interlaced/progressive, dropframe/non-dropframe, and progressive to interlaced or interlaced to progressive workflows.

Most of them said their go-to was always simply dropping say 23.976p ("24fps") clips onto a 29.97i sequence to use for US broadcast needs. That Premiere can typically handle that without issue. And yes, there were the comments that "technically" the 29.97i is "actually" 59.94i as it's just a different way of noting the same media.

That said, yes, at times there are cadence issues, at which point in Premiere going to the Interpret Footage dialog and invoking them there. And at need, AfterEffects has cadence controls when needed.

@Warren Heaton @Jarle Leirpoll and @Trent Happel  might also be able to add to the knowledge here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R Neil Haugen 

If the p23.976 footage has 3:2 pulldown, it can be correctly removed in the Interpret Footage dialog box to run at i29.97.

If the p23.976 does not have pulldown then it should not be used in an i29.97 Timeline, but it gets done anyway.  

Hopefully, each production has a post production supervisor establishing the correct frame rate for project and everyone else adheres to it. 

And yes, there is a little too much slight variation in summarizing video settings.  When discussing DV-NTSC, for example, 480i60, 480i59.94, 480i30, and 480i29.97 maybe each be used to describe the same clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Averdahl, Warren, Remote, and Joost, anything you can add to this is always welcome!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@R Neil Haugen 

@Warren Heaton 

I'll just note that frame rate conversions, cadence, and pull down issues - while importantly related - are not really part of the basics of interlaced / progressive frames. The basic guide for interlacing and progressive (which I've reviewed above) should address fields and frames without adding frame rate conversions into the mix more than necessary.

Additional, related documention from Adobe should detail frame rate conversion, telecine, cadence, and pulldown (and pull up), and specifically the tools that address this in PPro. This is particularly true for things like the "drag and drop" frame rate conversions of  23.976p footage into a 29.97i sequence (which Neil mentioned) where Premiere Pro adds 3:2 field cadence (and similar effects for 25p in 29.97i etc. etc.) Is any of Is this documented anwywhere?

Another point - while the above example (23.976p clip in a 29.97i sequence) will add 3:2 field cadence, Mercury Transmit seems not to properly display fields on a seccond display monitor. So while fields can be seen in the Sequence monitor panel (assuming "display both fields" is selected), Transmit will not show field lines on a second display. (This is true on computer displays - I suspect dedicated video hardware may be different, but I am not in a room where I can test right now.) Is that documented anywhere?

Modus operandi of Adobe seems to be to rely on user trial and error. There are better ways.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TS1993 

With i29.97 source in a p59.94 Timeline, I would use a Label or a Marker to identify the i29.97 clips during the rough cut.

During the fine cut or when picture is locked, I’d send the i29.97 clips to After Effects for remastering from i29.97 to p59.94.

You should notice that After Effects does a better job of filling in the missing vertical resolution when a field is used as a progressive frame than Premiere Pro does.

If the p59.94 edited master is getting a quality control check, I’d also make a list each clip that was remastered from i29.97 to p59.94 with time code callouts in case they get flagged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least the link to Chris Pirazzi's informative "All About Video Fields" web page is included on that page of the Premiere Pro user guide.

I'm not sure it needs to be as comprehensive as Jerry Whitaker's and Blair Benson's Standard Handbook of Video and Television Engineering, but it would be nice to see the Premiere Pro User Guide include an appendix or two that matches what the Final Cut Pro 7 User Manual had (updated for what's changed in the last decade, of course).

If anyone using the forum finds that a page could use more detail or information, anyone can use the Was this page helpful? links that appear at the bottom of each page.  Clicking "Not really" opens a dialog box to provide information (up to about 2,000 characters).

WarrenHeaton_0-1720023030826.png

Also, we Adobe Community Experts can submit recommended changes via our direct channel for doing just that.

- Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warrent Heaton,

Thanks for the link to FCP7 manual. From memory, it's a good example of comprehensiveness and should serve as one reference point for Adobe in addressing its documentation problem. The fact that it's still available is also a lesson to Adobe in maintaining documentation for old versions.

"anyone can use the Was this page helpful?"

While I also encourage users to use this feedback mechanism, I've outined important reasons why it is inadequate to address Adobe documentation shortcomings. You can read that here. (There's discussion about many issues around documentation problems in that thread.)

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Remote Index 

Sure, the Was this page helpful? could improve as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An important technical note:

To a video engineer, field rendering order and field domincance are not the same thing.

To a QuickTime porgrammer, field rendering order and field dominance are the same thing.

When discussing field dominance, be sure to clairfy which context is being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton 

re: field order and field domincance

I think the perspective here is video post professionals (ie. editing and finishing) who are going to be neither engineers nor programmers, generally.

But I am interested in the distinction you are making, if you care to elaborate.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi R.,

Thanks for the post. You can file documentation bugs via the Adobe Experts program. I will ensure that they receive your feedback. Take care.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines