• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit > Edit Original doesn't open/launch the AE project

Enthusiast ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Edit Original doesn't open/launch the AE project and doesn't seem to work anymore. Yes, I know you can edit the original from within AE. I'd like it to work again in Premiere Pro.

Mod note: The title was changed to reflect your issue. The post was edited for clarity.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahanyes issue still persists. I tried it tonight and premiere will point you to ae but it wont attempt to locate or open the ae project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @rachelcenter,

Thanks for filing the bug report. I hope the team or the community can assist you with your issue. We will need more information from you. See: How do I write a bug report?

I hope we can help you!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @rachelcenter,

I tried it on Premiere Pro Beta, and it works as expected. I will test it on the stable version as soon as I can. Perhaps someone in the community can try to repro the issue on their systems. I hope we can figure this out for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please try it on the latest version of premiere and not beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan I keep trying to post my bug report as a reply but it doesnt show up. so I tried to add it to the top of this post but it tells me I have HTML in my text but i dont........... Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 9.52.10 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahansince it wont let me paste the text in of my bug report, heres a jpg Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 9.55.11 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past 3 or 4 years, I've had consistent issues working with 'Edit Original' in Premiere.  Anytime I try to use the feature, it launches AE but doesn't open anything.  No error messages, no projects open, just the welcome page.  I haven't had this feature work in 3 years, which is a huge impediment.

1. App versions:  Latest 24.21 for both AE and Premiere.  However, this has been an issue with the latest 2023 and 2022 versions.  

2.  Mac Studio (m1), OS 12.6.1.  I had the same issue on my 2013 Mac Pro as well.

3. Basic Steps: Right click footage, 'Edit Original', wait for AE to launch.  From there, nothing happens.

I keep the latest 2 Premiere/AE versions installed for older projects (2023 and 2024 currently).  It hasn't worked in either since about a week after I set up my new computer.  A fresh OS install seems to fix it, but only temporarily (and it's unreasonable to have to re-install the operating system to fix this.). We edit off of external drives.  I've completely given up on using the feature because it literally never works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you've had troubles; we're confident Dynamic Link can work.

According to Creative Cloud desktop, what versions of AE and PPro do you currently have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated in my original post, both are 24.21.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, mis-read: both are 24.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you have the current versions installed; does Creative Cloud desktop think you have any other versions (either older versions of official releases, or beta) installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I keep the latest 2 Premiere/AE versions installed for older projects (2023 and 2024 currently)."

All versions are up to date.  Premiere: 24.2.1, 23.6.4.  AE: 24.2.1, 23.6.2

I've had this issue all the way back to the 2019 versions of AE/Premiere, though they're not installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've replicated your installed application set on a couple of macs (on os x 14) and a windows 11 machine; no issues getting 'open original' to work. Hrrmn.

> It hasn't worked in either since about a week after I set up my new computer. 

That's interesting; what about your system configuration changed, during that week?

> A fresh OS install seems to fix it, but only temporarily

That's also very interesting. Confirming: After you reinstall the OS, PPro <--> AE dynamic link works for a while, but then begins to fail again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing. When I switched to the Mac Studio, it worked for a few weeks before not working.

I also should clarify that I'm trying to Edit Original Prores 422 HQ clips that are exported from AE, but not created with dynamic links via 'Replace with AE Comp' or whatever it's labeled in Premiere. Each project on a drive is synced with a matching drive after a couple days of work, so absolute file paths might not stay the exact same.

If the linked project file is not found, is there an error message that shows? I do not get any error messages, just the welcome screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I also should clarify that I'm trying to Edit Original Prores 422 HQ clips

> that are exported from AE, but not created with dynamic links via 'Replace
> with AE Comp' or whatever it's labeled in Premiere.

That's helpful!

Confirming: In your .prproj, there's no referenced .aep file [nothing like the second project item]? 

aep.png

In my testing, if I 'Edit Original' the first project item (a rendered ProRes 422 HQ .mov), my OS launches VLC. If I 'Edit Original' the second one, AE launches and opens the project. 

Also, we're curious about your workflow: If, in PPro, you're editing with rendered .mov files instead of a dynamic link to an .aep file, what is it you want to do in After Effects, when you 'Edit Original' the .mov in PPro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @UpstreamEditing,

Thanks for the message. It’s been a while since you filed this bug. Are you still having this issue? If so, can you provide the info the product team member requested? Let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hes not talking about dynamic link. isnt dynamic link when you round trip from premiere to Ae back to premiere? hes talking about edit original which launches the AE project file that the MOV was created in. which hasnt worked for quite some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The function still does not work.  It is not a dynamic link, we render out of AE to Prores MOVs without using dyanamic linking.  In the past, the MOV itself would open the AE comp when 'Edit Original', now it does not.  I just tried it again in 2024 and it just opens the MOV in quicktime.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it just opens the quicktime and doesnt even launch AE, thats a sign that there isnt meta data baked into that MOV to begin with. but i can confirm that "edit original" still doesnt work properly for either of us, and hasnt worked in Premiere for some time now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great point, I just tried with a different clip that I ensured still had 'Include Project Link' enabled and had the same result of just opening AE, but with no project or sequence opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it on beta just now and all it does is launch AE beta, it doesnt launch the AE project file that the MOV was created in. @Kevin-Monahan 

AE VEta 24.6.0 (build 23)

Premiere Pro 2024 Version 24.6.0. BETA (Build 28)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if @JohnColombo might have an idea about this failure.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tag, @Kevin-Monahan! I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. Just to confirm the steps:

1. Export a MOV from After Effects using the Animation codec, ensuring that the project link is included
  2. Close After Effects 
  3. Import that MOV into Premiere Pro
  4. Use the Edit Original command on the MOV in Premiere Pro

Result: After Effects opens, but no project is opened.

Expected: After Effects opens, and the project where the MOV originated from is also opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines