• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Management Panel

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a good number of new color management settings and changed color management defaults in the 2022 release. I would expect we will be getting more as we go along. This is becoming a nightmare to manage!

We need a single panel. One with perhaps two tabs:
1) The overall Default options for color management settings, and for default options for various media types.

2) The Override tab for clip or sequence overrides, covering the same items as in no. 1.

Essentially, One Panel To Rule Them All.
Idea Started
TOPICS
Color

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
We hear your frustrations about color management and we are working on multiple improvements.

I recently posted a note on Alister Chapman's excellent xdcam-user.com ( http://xdcam-user.com ) forum, in response to a post he'd made about color management in Premiere Pro.

While my response doesn't go into details on our long term plans, it describes what we're doing in the short term to make handling of log footage easier.

Here's what I wrote:

Hi all,

I’m a product manager at Adobe, on the video team. I...

Votes

Translate

Translate
44 Comments
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support Neil's request.
Please make the color management settings panel more convenient in one location, and not across the entire Premiere program, as it is now. That's exactly what confuses people and many miss the opportunity to set the correct settings for the correct display of color.
And secondly, pay attention to the fact that now the function of displaying LOG material through a third-party LUT does not work correctly in the Interpret footage tab. The folders themselves are placed on computers with third-party LUT in the right place in agreement with Adobe support. As with me and many others, when using LUT in the specified panel, the correct interpretation of the material occurs on the timeline, and in the program monitor the colors will be displayed without LUT. Why no one sees it and does not correct it. This feature was introduced in the new v release.22 and still not fixed.
Pay attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree with you.
-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, there are not enough more flexible tools in the color panel. For example: restoration of overexposed frames, as well as a gradient tool for more accurate correction of certain areas in the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. I've been using PP for more than 10 years as an amateur filmmaker. I've learned color grading and all aspects that make a better video...but considering we only publish to YT I'm not ready to be forced into full on color management that's built for the pros. Please work with the team to provide a simple solution for people like me, who don't want to get lost in the weeds of video editing.
Thanks for your consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encourage this solution as well. As a long-time pro photographer, accustomed to color management whether for printing or screen, I am still mystified and challenged by CM issues within PPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to rebalance the Lumetri panel and add new tools to fine-tune the color. Now it is difficult to paint the material perfectly with a narrow toolkit. Nowadays, customers require a more complex gradation of color than just highlighting a color and changing its value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the ability to set the color space on the color bar using Input color for media. This is vital for controlling the color process for shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully support this request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One hundred percent, they need to make this happen.

Honestly, I love premiere but every time they make my workflow slower, I am considering other options like Davinci more and MORE.

Please Adobe, listen to your customers and give us the option to turn the default ugly looking LUT OFF!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please we need this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This! I know the "R" word might be a no-no, but Adobe engineers please see Resolve's Project Settings window. It has a simple hotkey to open up, and gives all the sequence related settings that you might need, including a Color Management tab where we can pick the right settings for our particular project. There's no "one size fit's all" color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Please, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? More and more explaining to editors and clients, etc why footage loads in differently. Shoot with 2 cameras with Slog3C (and even same sensor!) - FX6 (MXF) and A7S3 (MP4) and before these new color workflow updates, footage always matched right off the bat, now clients think there is something wrong as with MXF files, SLog3 metadata is read, but not from MP4 files. Seems easy to select correct color space in Resolve, why not yet in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please.

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe developers, do you hear the opinion of users??? How much writing does it take for you to solve the **** color management setup. I've been tormented by setting up this nightmarish color redefinition, which doesn't work properly and spoils the clips on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wasted a day on trying to figure this out! Professionals don't have time to deal with issues like this. Time is precious. A software update should make things better and more efficient, not the opposite. Please listen and sort this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please sort this out - adding 709 as a default CS is maddening - footage should be displayed as imported and then CM decisions can be made

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this should be a full Panel ... floatable, dockable, available from the Windows menu where the rest of the Panels are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to obtain any color consistency throughout the workflow, this should be an integral part of the start of most any project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Default of HDR Colour space on MXF Footage is a complete nightmare. Existing unfinished projects have become a mess...

Would be great to be able to set your defaults of how you want footage handled, instead of having to individually change the Interpret settings for every individual clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Streamlining the color management workflow would remove the unnecessary but persistent dread of opening Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you also need a setting to restore overexposed frames. Often, clients provide materials where some moments are ruined by excessive light from camera sensors. To save details in light areas, this function is extremely important. Another thing that is needed on the color page is matching frames by black and white points, not just the entire frame. Because the Match Frame that exists now, it overwhelmingly does not always bring results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super important. And I would recommend a comprehensive learning resource so that people of any skill level can use CM without making mistakes that would have terrible downstream consequences for their work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm dealing with an HDR blowout issue and a panel like this could be useful

Votes

Translate

Translate