• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Scrolling / panning in the Program Monitor

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator: This thread was originally titled "Premiere Pro 24.4 Program Monitor Scrolls". It's been updated to make this thread easier to find. We appreciate - and are listening to! - your feedback on scrolling / panning in the Program Monitor]

I just noted after the 24.4 update, My source & Program monitor up & down rollers/scrolls on the sides just vanished or missing. Not sure if this still part of the zoom in, zoom out or use of hand tool new updates which has cause this to be removed or a bug - but, kindly let me know if anyone has experienced this issue. The screengrab below.

Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 170 Replies 170
170 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP again. I've always used the mouse wheel to scroll frame by frame backwards or forwards in the program monitor and now it just zooms, which is why I stopped using the Beta version. I can't find where to change this setting ANYWHERE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right @Sherex, thanks for pointing this out. The community appreciates the helpful comment about the UI change.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've changed already thanks! There is a lot of people "angry" with that because the change was nice but Adobe didn't mention where was about to go this feature.

Anyway, fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the post, it's in the monitor program in the timeline ruler, the option didn't dissappear, they just change the focus for it and didn't tell us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just crashed 2 times this month,

Update bios, drivers and becarefull if you use any kind of overlay programs, can crash many programs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for he note, @Sherex - The team is working on a response addressing this issue.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With +SHIFT it's +5 frames.

So control it would be nice, but for now since I discover where it went, I'm OK. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats an OK workaround! Not too much of a hassle pressing H and solving the problem. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use the keyboard at all for editing. I have a specific setup and speed is the most important part. Moving my hand to the keyboard is a waste of time. 

I use a programmed gamepad and Kensington Orbit mouse. Yes, the feature is still there if I take the extra few moments to place my mouse in the specific spot, but my point being that extra time it takes is hundreds of extra seconds per day and that's costing money to clients and my capacity to work efficiently.

It's so much easier to just wing the mouse over the program monitor and scroll. That efficiency is needed. This could just be a setting change.

But as I mentioned in another comment, I think the best solution actually would be to make the timeline scroll behavior change based upon where the mouse is INSIDE the timeline. For example, if we have the mouse in the Video layers portion, it scrolls the playhead, and if the mouse is in the Audio layers portion, it scrolls the entire timeline panel as it already does.

That would be epic because it would cut down on mouse movement and save time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I don't want the ruler, I want the whole video like it's been for a decade.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is to put the scrolls back; they just turned off the entire Apple market using a Macbook or desktop with trackpad; that's not a small oversight, that's a fireable mistep.

A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. - Henry Ford

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed this too.  Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a bad suggestion, @Matthew David King, so please upvote the bug report. It's nice that we can pan around, but sometimes, I want to jump to areas far off that area of the screen. I want to make macro moves in hunks larger than "panning around" the screen. I do this when checking to align graphics using guides, etc. Thes scroll bars got me there quickly. Now I must zoom out of one region and zoom back in, which disrupts my workflow when tweaking masks and video graphics.

I will continue to advocate for users needing some altnernatives to this UI change.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Matthew David King. Kindly upvote. I will advocate for a solution to this problem.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SKIP TO P.S. AT THE END OF COMMENT FOR TL;DR

Anytime Adobe adds alternative functionalities such as this to their software, they always provide a rollback function somewhere to meet peoples personal preferences. I for one was not a fan of the new context menus in the layers panel in photoshop as I was so accustomed to where everything was from years of muscle memory. But of course a quick shuffle through the preferences and I was able to revert it. I used to always get ticked off at those kinds of changes, but in time I discovered that a lot of them did actually improve the overall functionality and it was only my muscle memory that didn't agree with how it felt, once I "got used to" the changes, in hindsight I would realize they were good changes, BUT for the ones I simply refused to change my ways, 99.9% of the time, there is some "use legacy whatever function" check box laying around somewhere. I haven't really dived into the newest premiere update yet so I can't say for certain, but I'm willing to bet before even looking that this is the case here as well. And before I even look, just based off my instincts, I'm going to guess it's in the wrench menu in the program monitor screen. Total guess, but odds are pretty good.

In closing though to actually answer your question, with further integration of MOGRTS and graphic design tools being integrated into premiere (minimizing the need for after effects on projects with more minimal graphics such as basic typography), Adobe seems to be giving more thought to Premiere less as solely an editing application, but also with more mograph integration. You'll notice right away that After Effects has LONG functioned in this manner, which is very useful when focusing on graphics.

P.s. I opened premiere and on a quick glance, if you use your scroll wheel at the base of the screen it functions as you are wanting. Where it has the timecode and "fit/scale" on the left, and "full/resoluton", the wrench icon and timecode on the right, use your scroll wheel there and anywhere below there, ie where the little mini timeline that looks like a ruler with a mini playhead, and below that where the cusomizable buttons are, use scroll where anywhere in that area and it scrolls the playhead instead of the zoom function, which I believe is what you are speaking of if I'm not grossly mistaken. Hope that is helpful, will comment back if I spot a "toggle zoom" checkbox in my travels.

----------
Become so undeniably good that you give your imposter syndrome an inferiority complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sherex I left a big ol' long replay for @Mr.De , but for you as well. Jump to the P.S. for quickest current answer I have (having just opened the latest update myself, will do more exploring later)

----------
Become so undeniably good that you give your imposter syndrome an inferiority complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just cracked it. press ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel. and thats it. if you just want to zooom in or out press alt and the same thing with the mouse wheel/ or shift + alt and the mouse wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. Yes this is such a pain to try and figure out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. A completely unwanted "feature"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured that almost immidiately: "Where it has the timecode and "fit/scale" on the left, and "full/resoluton", the wrench icon and timecode on the right, use your scroll wheel there and anywhere below there, ie where the little mini timeline that looks like a ruler with a mini playhead, and below that where the cusomizable buttons are, use scroll where anywhere in that area and it scrolls the playhead instead of the zoom function, which I believe is what you are speaking of if I'm not grossly mistaken." 
But let me ask you, have you tried masking frame by frame using hand and moving mask on each frame... Now I have to go up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down... This has become more of a workout for my hand, not really a muscle memory issue. I looked everywhere and I couldn't find "toggle zoom" box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me. Did you changed some preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While working on a 1080p/29.97 video, when zooming inside of the program monitor to to anything greater than "Fit", vertical and horizontal scroll bars would normally appear, allowing me to pan around the frame. I use this to accurately move a mask around.

With 24.4.1, when I zoom in, the scrollbars have vanished. Is there a new way to navigate around the frame when it's larger than the panel, or is this a bug? Currently rolled back to the last release of version 23, and it's working as expected.

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to disable this new zoom in/out behavior on the program monitor.
I use the "scroll wheel over program monitor to move playhead" constantly, and have been for the 10+ years I've been cutting in premiere. 

I'm all for Adobe making changes to default settings or ADDING or CHANGING default behaviors UI/UX -- BUT -- let us customize to make it work the way we work best.  Bury it somewhere in some 8th layer menu somewehre, or in some obscure keyboard shortcut.  TBH I love the scroll wheel over source monitor function so much, it has held me back from cutting on Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mike McCarthy 

Can we have a modifier instead of using the middle mouse which is such a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please put the scrolls back. I work on stereoscopic footage (over/under) and sometimes I need to look at something directly above or below. If I zoom into center places me into the middle of my video which happens to be the bottom of left eye and top of right eye. Using the hand tool is not precise and highly inefficient compared to just scrolling up or down to check my centers. Same with adding a guide every time I want to look at something. Thank you for putting back this feature as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate