• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for Nikon NRaw

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please get support for Nikon's NRAW codec? Resolve and Edius already have it cooked up and ready to go. This reactive rather proactive approach to codec integration is really disappointing. First it was Prores RAW (still ongoing issues) and now NRAW. How about Adobe show Nikon shooters a bit of love here?
Idea Started Locked
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Hi all, 

I would like to let people here know that we have paused work on adding N-RAW support to our video products. When we have an update to share on potential future support for N-RAW, we will update this thread. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
69 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but I do completely understand why it is important to Z9 customers and it is on our radar. "

That is very appreciated. Thanks Fergus. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To hear that a company the size of Adobe cannot get through its "priority list" fast enough to include file format support for the flagship camera (that has now been out for 18 months) of one of the top 3 camera manufacturers in the world, means that Adobe is not employing enough people to deliver professional-quality product. I've been a loyal Adobe customer for over 30 years and am now actively exploring my options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add N-RAW file format support in 

Premiere Pro ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another person adding their voice to the desperate need for support for this. Now have to go and use Resolve so that I can complete my work. Understand that there are multiple issues that need working on across the Adobe product board Fergus, but if Adobe is meant to be the gold standard for creative professionals and educators, then surely you need to be adopting the formats the pro-cameras are using - and look to be using for the forseeable future.

Are the other issues ones that lead people straight away from using Adobe products, becuase this issue is - it may not have as many votes as others, but there's no easy workaround here - you simply can't avoid moving away from Adobe products to solve it. Surely that's a business issue, and not a creative one?

Perhaps we need a little tweak  of the Adobe mission statement...

Changing the world through digital experiences.*

*Change dependent on compatibility of digital device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had resolve for a while and have been using it more recently. because of the lack of support for Nraw. Both are great but Davinci are nearly as frustrating in their issues with Prores, but it's an easier work around. However it's not a suite and once you take the ecosystem as a whole, for me audition, rush and after effects integration makes Adobe a better choice especially if you are also working with stills and cross platforms. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @audio90 yes, do have a Z9 which I'm really excited about using. I work with stills and video and already have 2 x Z6II. The thing I was most excited about was the RAW video. I think I'd just prefer to use Premiere as I'm deeply embedded in the ecosystem, use Audition a lot as well as After Effects.

That said, I think I'll just have to head on over to Resolve, I'm looking forward to getting going with it and I appreciate your comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BenShakespearePhotos You'll find that Resolve is a well-integrated as the Creative Suite, but in different ways. I still use both. The Fairlight audio page in Resolve is much more tightly integrated for mixing than Audition is in the Creative Suite. It's remarkable how easy it is to go back and forth betweeen the Edit page and Fairlight. But there is no audio file editor like there is in Audition, so I use Audition for audio file editing.

Color is an order of magnitude better iin Resolve. No contest at all.

After Effects and Fusion arre so different that virtually nothing you know of one helps with the other. I've used Resolve for a dozen years and still can't get the hang of Fusion. (But I've used AE since v1.0, before Adobe bought it.) I still use AE, and while I miss the ability to cut files together in Premiere and dynamic link them to AE, I find that if I organize my folder structure, I can simply replace an AE comp and Resolve will put in its proper place reliably.

I don't use Rush, but there's a Cut page in Resolve that you might find replaces it easily. 

All that said, there's no reason to give up the Creative Suite because you use Resolve for Edit, Color and Mix. Or you can use a proxy workflow in Premiere and just use Resolve for final color. Resolve is free or a one-time $300 cost for the studio version. It's well worth it to have both available, because each has some things it does better than the other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said, AirStream ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am echoing everyone else here. We need support for N-Raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a PSA to let the 'proactivec' codec team at Adobe know that NRAW has been available on Resolve for over a year now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RED lawsuit was dropped today. So let's get to it, Adobe. We've waited long enough.

Join me at National Park Guided Tours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another heads up that Nikon will be dropping a new heavy on video features camera in less than two weeks. Perhaps they should stop forking the dog on this one and get to work. Earn my monthly subscription fee. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Fergus H and all the amazing Adobe Community,

As many here on this forum, we need Adobe to embrace the Nikon N-Raw files.
Nikon announced and released the Z9 in 2021; we are now in 2023, and yet we cannot edit footage from our Z9 (unless working with a lower level of files...which does not make sense as all videographers and cinematographers shoot at the highest capabilities of the camera that they own, and because each scene is unique and we need to get the most out of it).

I shot a show called "It's a Beautiful World," Produced by Global Heroes, and I love the fact that it's 100% Adobe...but I need to convert the 12-Bit N-Raw Nikon files in order to use the files...this is a massive waste of time to convert and once converted it, I cannot color the scene properly (unless I re-export the clip).

I understand that there are other priorities on the docket of Adobe, but Nikon is not an amateur choice when filming, and Adobe cannot lose its professional cinematographers and professional content creators to other software houses for something so "small".

The battle between other software and Adobe is a harsh one because of the price (many other solutions are cheaper if not a one-time payment for life), and updating to the latest cameras in a matter of weeks of the release.

I continue to be an Adobe fan; but to the point that my livelihood is not hindered, once I risk my job the change will have to happen...and (if that happens) turning back is not an easy process (we are talking about moving an entire production house to another software...and reversing those decisions are almost never going to happen).

Food for thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I'm glad to share with you that we are working on adding N-RAW support to our video products. I don't have a date for release I'm willing to share but I will certainly keep this thread updated, particularly when N-RAW support is available in beta. 

Regards,
Fergus

Edit: For now, I am locking this thread (and have deleted several posts), largely to avoid repetive conversations about the value of N-RAW. We believe in the value of raw and 100% understand that therer are features of the Z8 and Z9 that are only available when shooting in raw. 

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Fergus H 

This is AMAZING NEWS!!! With the new release of the Z8 (basically a Z9 LOL) I bet that there will be many more Nikon Creatives that will need this feature.
Thank you so much for keeping us up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sergio-CS You're welcome. I also wanted to thank you for your very thoughtful message last week. It was much appreciated. I agree with all the points you made. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fergus H Thank you so much.

I have been a firm supporter of Adobe since I first purchased Photoshop 4 (in 1997…I think). I acquired the ACE certificate in Italy and one day hope to become an ambassador for a brand that allows me to have the best job in the world. Everything I create is done 100% on Adobe software; that is why I care so deeply about software house.

From Global Heroes (the largest Positive Newspaper in North America) to its new show "It's a Beautiful World with Jeff Fuchs, to my own photos and videos, the magazine that I publish, all my clients (and friends) creations have been on Adobe software.

(Sorry for the long message, but I just felt like sharing my point of view from three decades of Adobe)

www.globalheroes.com/its-a-beautiful-world

www.creativespades.com

www.inspades.news

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2 Nikon Flagship Mirrorless cameras need support. We've paid hefty money for these cameras to not have Adobe support their native format. It's been almost 2 years and I still can't use my 8k 60fps footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, 

I would like to let people here know that we have paused work on adding N-RAW support to our video products. When we have an update to share on potential future support for N-RAW, we will update this thread. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate