• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe After Effects Must be installed to import this file

Participant ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to "replace with After Effects composition" I get the error message above.  I have seen many others with the same issue and logged out and rebooted as suggested and it still doesn't work.  I am using version 17.0.1 of After Effects and 14.0 of Premiere Pro.  What do I need to do to get this functionality to work?  Seems it's going on for years...?

TOPICS
Dynamic link

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

I found a solution that worked for me on a Mac and I assume a similar solution would work on Windows. It was an issue with permissions. I went to my security & privacy settings and allowed the adobe products (Premiere, Audition, After Effects and Creative Cloud) full disc access and make sure they had any other requested permissions. After that, I closed out of each program and when I reopened it things started working on Windows, I would try running each as an administrator. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is perposterous Adobe. Why offer these "features" when it's clear they won't work. I'm starting to wonder exactly what I'm paying for each month. This is infuritating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here with no solution yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the trouble. Which version of AE and PR are you using?

Let us know. We're here to help.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issues like all of the above. When, in Pr2021, try to "replace with after effects compostition" I get the error message " Adobe 2021 must be installed to import this file".

I'm running Ae2021(vers. 18.4) and Pr2021(vers.15.0) on a MBP 16" 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, both PP and AE are the newest versions as of October 2021...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear ADOBE, is there anything you don't screw up? I should write this on a thread where no one needs help. they may see it. on those threads?- can't shut em up. - these 'help needed' threads?. Crickets... crickets motion tracked off the anchor point for NO REASON... What a tragically missed CLOUD of opportunities - ok DC Acrobat always works..hurray for you. only took 20 years. I despise your workflow comments. arrogant useless backtalk. What about UI with intuitive design and accessibility??? - what about applications working as expected ???? You serve someone the wrong food and tell them they need to expand their horizons.... deplorable .. What about if you renamed Creative Cloud "Death Star" seeing as how it's never been "fully operational" - Hey I could be wrong maybe everyone else loves learning in an entirely unreliable environment.. If Keanu [Neo] learned Kung Fu in After Effects, after he ported it from Premier and then back over to Premier and then over to ME and the ..GAWWWD   either way he'd just wind up with his foot in his ass.Now you went and bought Frame.io.. the fire breathing drag... they'll fit perfectly in your 3-out-of-6 cylinders firing library.  I hope you're at least studying the user behaviour data or selling it for use in some psychological experiment on how much nonsense people can take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liked this comment a lot. You said out loud what we all think! Thank you for this comment fellow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a HUGE ongoing issue. I am on the most up to date versions of Premiere pro and After Effects as of 2/27/22 and I am still getting the error message "After Effects must be installed" and IT ALREADY IS, anytime I try to import into PP. Please come up for a fix for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WIN 10 fix: 

Close Adobe applications

Go to the application .exe and right click

Click properties

in the security tab where it says "to change permissions, click Edit" click Edit. 

Group or user names: Everyone

Permissions for Everyone click allow all. 

Apply and open Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're a hero!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was there ever a fix to this im literally running into the same issueScreen Shot 2022-12-20 at 4.04.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

was there ever a fix to this im literally running into the same issueScreen Shot 2022-12-20 at 4.04.33 AM.png

By @Izchi

New Here , 
Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

WIN 10 fix: 

Close Adobe applications

Go to the application .exe and right click

Click properties

in the security tab where it says "to change permissions, click Edit" click Edit. 

Group or user names: Everyone

Permissions for Everyone click allow all. 

Apply and open Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked for me as well. AE 2023 is the first time I experienced this issues, but it sounds like it has been going on for a long time for others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

giuseppecrs_0-1675848069989.png

3 years later, same issue. this is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here for the past month, and tried everything under the sun. This event has led me to consider other software solutions for Adobe. Nuke by Foundry seems very promising. The only reason for staying in AE is my editors use PP and the dynamic link has been awesome so far. But even with the update just this week - the problem is still there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: My supers just gave me a pay raise because I am learning Nuke independently and understand it is a more professional program than Adobe suite. How did Adobe get the reputation that it is a beginner's tool with producers and supers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED!
I noticed that this problem was coming up after an update.
My first thought was to revert back to a previous version, but you don't have to.

After a lot of trial and error, my goal was to have them all updated in Pr without having to work on the entire show (over a 64-minute show with tons of Ae, would have cost me a month of work)...so I did this:

1.  uninstall Ae and remove all preferences
  2. install again Ae
  3. open all Ae files (an alarm will pop up asking to update to the latest version), update the version, and over-write (save with the exact same name by deleting the [converted] part that gets added by Ae by default)
  4.  once all files are up to date, open the Pr file, and all Ae in the timeline will play...

I tried on 4 different shows that I'm editing, and everything went well (so far, and fingers crossed).

Let me know if this works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no matter how many times I try, this does not work for me. Unbelievable that Adobe can charge what they do for this "suite" of applications. I think the user who is switching to Nuke has the right idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to start with...I'm not paid by Adobe, nor am I sponsored, affiliated, or endorsed in any way, shape, or form...

My two cents on this is that Premiere is my suite of preference and I edit full Netflix, Hulu, Crave shows on it (Audio and color included), I still have the full Studio version of DaVinci Resolve, and I have to say that every software has problems because they are extremely complex...and sometimes it can fail...until the new update...hopefully. 

Nuke is extremely expensive, yes, powerful, yet extremely complex to reach a level of confidence to hold a full show on it...DaVinci Resolve is super cheap, and even though many will rage about its capabilities, it has massive flaws that are unbelievable...but how can you beat a lifetime ownership under 280 bucks (or so)...(it can't put 2 layers of CC captions, yet it can open and edit N-RAW N-LOG files the second the Z9 was released and for Adobe...we have no clue when that will happen).

My Advice...
Pick your suite of choice, master it, and live with the bugs that they all come with...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sergio. Thanks for your insight. I have the full version of Resolve which I began using several years ago. I find it's a fully featured application and since it has Fusion built in, I have never had "linking" issues like this thread is about. It's color correction tools are unmatched, as well. (I don't often use captions so thanks for pointing out that potential stumbling block.) I still use Premiere, mostly for legacy projects like the one that prompted my original message. It seems this linking issue is not being addressed by Adobe, however. I realize that all modern software is complex but when you make something like dynamic linking integral to your product, it really should be a high priority when an egregious bug like this becomes known. 

I'm not sure what to tell my client and I really don't want to spend more hours in fruitless "workarounds". This is the source of my frustation. Thanks for your excellent reply, however!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I really feel your pain. I was in the final stages of the first episode of a travel show for Netflix...and when exporting, I discovered that the central channels of 5.1 DD don't get exported!!! This means voice, voiceovers, music, and central effects are all gone, muted...so I had to find a crazy workaround to deliver...now hoping for a fix from Adobe...we are in the same boat...we should share a beer and some good stories LOL 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that worked for me was to erase my entire boot drive and start fresh. So far one day in and all is fine. However I lost a day of work just setting up the computer with my raid drivers and programs again, not to mention shortcuts and settings for each program. Not an easy task but I recommend this step at least once per year to clean out the boot drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working on most current versions of PP and AE 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines