• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2015 won't preview in real time after El Capitan update.

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Has anyone experienced the following issue and found a solution for it?

Right after Update to El Capitan 10.11 the After Effects 2015 stopped ram previewing in real time.

No matter what i do it won’t work.

I have a latest MAC Pro 2.7 GHz 12-Core with 64GB ram.

The AE 2014 still works though.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Everybody who is having this issue please install the latest update: After Effects CC (November 2017) Bug-Fix Update Is Now Available that is supposed to finally close this thread for good! please report if this issue has been resolved.

if you can't see the update yet, wait a while until you see it. try relaunching Creative Cloud app by typing Ctrl+Alt+R. I see it.

this update is 14.0.1 and is a bug fix for many disturbing issues especially for Mac users. it does not fix all the bugs that are new

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 362 Replies 362
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

skipping a frame or 2 didn't solve anything.

And i was really excited to see the AE update... but nothing changed.

Was this bug not fixed in the new update???

PLEASE PLEASE tell me the ETA on this fix or that you are working on it. This is insanely annoying problem to have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2015 Dec 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exactly the same issue going on.

If I create a new project, a new comp (1280x720 at 25fps), mark out the first 5 seconds as my work area, and hit preview, I get 16-18fps. Not real-time.

Drop the res to Quarter, the zoom to 25%, no difference.

This is with nothing, no layers etc, in the comp.

If I make the timeline tiny, or zoom into it a bit so I can scroll the work area off-screen, my real-time preview works again.

Eech. This is a real pain.

(Old Mac Pro / OS X 10.11.2 / AE 13.6).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a quicker workaround: rather than scrolling the work area off-screen, just hit the Maximise Panel keyboard shortcut with your cursor over the viewer window, before or during a preview. On Macs it's the little accent grave key, to the left of the Z key.

Quicker. Still annoying, but it may help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2015 Dec 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On dual monitor systems the timeline window (undocked on second monitor) can't be closed with tilde key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

I think you guys have the RAM preview bugs mostly worked out.  The thing I'm noticing now is that I'll get RAM preview at real time as long as I don't move the mouse cursor.  It's especially bad when you "shake" the cursor and it sort of grows to let you see it better.  Seems like this OS animation is competing with your UI redraw for resources.

I can live with that until the next update, for now at least I have the ability to see my video in real time AND hear the music/VO so I'm no longer blindly guessing at where my keyframes should go.  I appreciate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still facing the very annoying bug.. The workaround with "move across the timeline so the slider isn't visible, ram preview works fine." works for me..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still also waiting for my reduced monthly CC license costs to recompense for the genuine and causal impact to my time and costs during the period I spent ignorantly wrestling with my motion projects, which could have been easily prevented by a quick email alert from Adobe just to alert me to the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pinpointed the issue for me. It would seem that having the playhead slider visible whilst previewing makes everything slow down. If I pick a place to preview from, move across the timeline so the slider isn't visible, ram preview works fine.

Seems to be the same UI update issue in AE v13.6 as identified in 13.5. When the timeline isn't visible, playback is realtime again. And, on a rMBP with 1920 x 1200 resolution, playback stutters. But with a 2048 x 1280 resolution (Display Menu) playback is realtime again! Retina in AE has something to do with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this getting fixed? I'm still having this problem, tried all the fixes listed above. OSX 10.11.3, AE 2015 fully updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahainen wrote:

Any update on this getting fixed? I'm still having this problem, tried all the fixes listed above. OSX 10.11.3, AE 2015 fully updated.

Wait, you've docked a panel underneath your timeline panel and that didn't fix it?

Sign up to help test the After Effects CC 2015 (13.7.1) patch update and see if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who haven't seen it yet, the 13.7.1 update is now live and it fixes the El Capitan playback bug! (Stephane has a separate bug going on; the majority of us are now FREE!)

After Effects CC 2015 (13.7.1) bug-fix update available: fixes Mac OS X 10.11 real-time playback iss...

I'm also quite excited about the speedier image sequence import. It's significantly faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the note, Szalam.  Good news.  I think I'll wait and watch the forum posts for a few weeks before risking any updates, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a HUGE copout to say that the 2-second delay issue not being fixed isn't part of the problem.  And, no, RAM preview isn't entirely fixed, it's just been made slightly better.  There is the few second audio delay, and there's also the fact that when you move your mouse cursor during a RAM preview is drops down to less than half of real time.

I appreciate the fact that this is slowly getting better, but lets not pretend that the RAM preview issues (including the RAM cache bug where AE won't purge old frames requiring a restart to RAM preview) are fixed at all.

AE is still a buggy mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you Jake, AE 2015 is a crashy messy bug filled mess. Ive gone back to 2014, its just not worth the headaches right now. It was crashing on me constantly working on 5K and 12K projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's exactly what I encountered, lazy Adobe had so much time to catch on El Capitan, lazy, lazy developers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

georgecasualfilms schrieb:

I've pinpointed the issue for me. It would seem that having the playhead slider visible whilst previewing makes everything slow down. If I pick a place to preview from, move across the timeline so the slider isn't visible, ram preview works fine.

Perfect solution. And weird! But that works. I was having the same issues everybody has, even with AE 13.7 / El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George you are a life saver!! My company is locked into AE 13.8.1 for some reason and your tip fixed the playback issues. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unplugged my Thunderbolt/HDMI output and it's working fine. So, no external monitor until patch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been game to go to El Capitan yet, but i just wanted to pipe in and express my utter distain for this woefully painful new Preview feature. Anything remotely complicated and it's slower than waiting for a traditional RAM preview. Playback never stops properly, and if it does it's easily 10+ frames AFTER i hit stop...

It's just not good enough Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Followed the steps and can confirm the playhead trick works. Its pretty fundamental workflow bug. I'll have to rollback to CC14 in the meantime (it would have been nice for Creative Cloud not to have deleted my old version by default by the way!)

Looking forward to the fix – I love the idea of the new preview. You're all doing a great job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just wanted to tell you Adobe that I'm very disappointed and angry, there is not so much features to pay monthly for subscriptions and now this! You had ONE year with OS X beta program to test everything and be ready but you didn't even try! Today I canceled my subscription and switched back to CS6 with actually better functioning preview!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, last Imac 5k with El Capitan, how can you let out a version of After Effects like this ? How can you ask money for that ? I can't believe that honest people who paid for a software can't use it properly whereas hackers can.

At least i'm asking in the name of all the honest payers a reduction or something for our patience. Come on guys, playback is the basic feature of any software who works on animated video, we don't care about all your paying options, or stock footage or whatever fancy options if we can't use the software normally.

We're loosing time on our projects for our clients because of that. Do something quickly or honestly i'll invite people to hack your softwares and use it freely.

Please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree! Adobe Subscription is a joke! I canceled the subscription because of the this bug and overall poor software quality and no substantial updates and no new tools! Now I'm back working on CS6 and the playback and rendering times are smooth and 3x times faster than the newest version! You should give back money to people that paid you for your services full of bugs! It's simply not worth it! And on the end when you cancel you end with no software! At least we should have access to the previous version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trackavelic wrote:

Come on guys, playback is the basic feature of any software who works on animated video, we don't care about all your paying options, or stock footage or whatever fancy options if we can't use the software normally.

This!

It's the ONE fundamental thing we need to work, and Adobe has gone and broken it and refuses to prioritise it's repair.
Woeful Adobe. Just f*****g woeful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the procedure to work on the previous stable version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines