• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Stuck Off Screen

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened After Effects on my 15 inch macbook pro, and the only part of the application window I can see the very bottom. I can't work in it, and I can't even find the options to resize the window. It's just stuck off screen.

The only solution I found is to System Preferences > Displays > Scaled... Then I choose another size text and if I go smaller it's fully on screen but obviously much bigger text and less work area. Please help.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

'another option is to grab any portion of the window you can and hold down OPTION+SHIFT keys and drag, which will resize the window in any direction'

Found the above from How to Resize a Window That is Too Big or Off Screen in Mac OS

Worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

I figure it out, When it happened, just hold option key and double click bottom-edge of the window, it should works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're my hero. I was about to throw my mac out the window!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I was getting so frustrated. haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are my hero too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made a video tutorial on a super quick solution without clearing your preferences or changing resolution or even plugging back into another monitor.

Adobe After Effects Window Off Screen FIXED (QUICK) - YouTube

Hopefully that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I came here to tell Adobe to fix this already (and they should), but you are THE human being. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you! I was ecstatic when I found that it worked for me. I stumbled upon it in frustration, when the window appeared at the bottom of the screen I was like, huh?... what?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved my laptop from going off the balcony. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me lately too. I bring up the Displays pref panel, and rotate the offending display 90 degrees.

Then, I rotate my brain, so I can move the mouse, grab the problem window, and move it to another monitor.

I switch the monitor back to normal, move the window back to its rightful place, and save the workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me almost everytime I unplug my 2018 MacBook Pro from my secondary monitor. Right now the window is so stretched I can't even grab any of the corners as recommended here.

@ Adobe can you please fix this ASAP? It renders your product useless at times. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is completely off the screen (sometimes happens when using an external display that is no longer connected), go to 'window', and turn off 'application frame'. You wont be able to turn it back on until you plug back in the display, unless you save everything, quit, restart.

This works for illustrator - not sure if "Application Frame" is a thing in Ae or if its just always like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is completely off the screen (sometimes happens when using an external display that is no longer connected), go to 'window', and turn off 'application frame'. You wont be able to turn it back on until you plug back in the display, unless you save everything, quit, restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I just saw someone with this problem turn the resolution down on their entire display system by making the adjustment from their computer's display settings. Once icons and everything were sized down, they were able to pull the After Effects window back into frame, saved the project, and closed it. When they reverted their resolution back to normal and opened the project, it was still in the middle of the screen.

Hope that helps someone!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That used to work, but in Mojave with the latest version of After Effects CC2019 the only solution is to uninstall and reinstall each time you want to launch AE without an external monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I had the same issue and it was driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option+shift/switching workspaces/changing screen resolution is a bit ridiculous, no? Everytime I try to work on just my laptop after being connected to other monitors I have to go through this whole routine and at the moment, the windows are positioned in such a way where they literally are stuck and none of this will work. Is there a file on my computer that I can delete that will reset my preferences and make my computer forget it was prev connected to other monitors? Also, can adobe please fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And let me be a little more specific. At home I use a 4k Cintiq for After Effects and when I go into work the next day and can only use my laptop - this is when the trouble starts. AE remembers being on a big ole 4k screen and even with this option+shift or option resize approach I still have to wrestle with it for a good five to ten minutes, going through a cycle of all the techniques mentioned here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue then figured it out! If you can see the side of the window and hover over it a horizontal arrow appears to change the width of the window. But if you click and hold Command while clicking the edge, it will allow you to move the window down! Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a file somewhere on my computer that I can just delete that will reset my workspace and force my computer to forget I was previously using a bunch of large monitors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You can reset AE preferences. To do that you have to press and hold

• Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
  • Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS)

during AE starting up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lifesaver! Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lifesaver! Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and all it did was make the screen so small that I can no longer access it at all. Adobe's updates keep getting worse and worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two buttons at the bottom of the graph window.  One has a horizontal single wavy line, the other has two horizontal wavy lines.  These are the "fit selection to view" and "fit all graphs to view" buttons.  This will take the entire data field and shrink it down to the size of your viewing window.  Hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me be express my frustration in a very accurate way.

I give adobe ONE year to deal with this issue! If it's not solved by then, I end my subscription. It's only with adobe now I'm facing this issue. If you want to keep milking my money out of me, deal with this issue Adobe.

I have enough skills and experience to replace your software and convince my clients replacing with another software.

It's shame, don't you think, specially when such issues that should be not a problem has a column on your forum??? 2 JAN 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines