• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Composition window black — any suggestions?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 09.18.34.png

Hi all,

I've recently returned to After Effects and am having trouble viewing anything in my composition window. I've uploaded a screen grab of a short animation I did a while ago here, and you can see the preview of the project in the Project window, but I can't get anything to appear in the composition window.

I thought it was just having the caps lock on, but that's not sorted it. I can't think of anything else, so wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Are you facing the same issue with a new project or only with one of the projects and did you try to export and see the output in the rendered file.

What version of After effects you're using, if it is not updated then update to the latest version ver 15.1.1 and also update your graphics card drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try purge memory from the main menu > Edit > Purge > All memory and disk cache...

If still, you get the issue than you can try resetting the preferences of AE as follow -

To restore the default preference settings, press and hold the following keys while the application is starting.

• Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows)
  • Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS)
  • To restore default keyboard shortcuts, Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the OK button.
Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Vishuagg,

This didn't seem to fix the issue — appreciate the help though.

I don't really know why it's viewing like this, I can't figure it out at all. Do you have any other thoughts about what it could be? I'm wondering if I have a button switched on/off that's causing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you facing the same issue with a new project or only with one of the projects and did you try to export and see the output in the rendered file.

What version of After effects you're using, if it is not updated then update to the latest version ver 15.1.1 and also update your graphics card drivers.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vishuagg

Updating to the most recent CC did the job — I guess that's something I should have done earlier. Unsure why the issue happened though, given I used the version I had to create the file in the first place. Anyway, that's sorted it so thanks so much for your help, it's much appreciated

Stew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vishu
I am facing this issue in a few of the projects I download from the store. Please help as soon as possible. I am pretty close to the deadline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My UI

I checked opacity
Turned off all the effects.

Deleted cache and disk from preference.

Deleted from Purge.

No Caps Lock ON.

Did everything but nothing worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having same issue. It had been working when I first updated from CS6 to CC last summer (2020) but then in the last few months when I start working on a project the composition screen is just black (no matter what I do). I've done the other fixes I've seen in the treads, and I checked to see if there's an update but it tells me all my apps are up to date. I've also tried all the different file formats I can think of and still nothing.

Any other thoughts on how to fix this??

AE troubleshoot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was facing the same issue. I contacted customer care and they disabled the "AMD Radeon" adaptor.
It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2022 Jan 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi have the same problem, just re-installed bodymovin,,  - just black comp, no shape layers shows, old comps in the same projects seems to work thoug... Adobe?=????? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to create a new camera, i had the same issue and it fixed mine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom right of the viewport, change it back to active cam, that was the trick for me! Acicentally changed it using some unkown hotkey:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there ever a fix found to this? I've got the same issue. Tried all solutions here, and un-installed and re-installed still facing same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Windows 11 try going into the display settings and scroll down to Graphics and select Change Default Graphics settings and turn off Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling.  This will require a reboot.  If the setting or location is not quite like that on our OS, you just want to turn off hardware acceleration or the Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling if you have that option and see if that fixes this issue after reboot.  Cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your reply. I've just looked into this and I've already got Hardware-Accelerated GPU turned off. Do you know of anything else I could try? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the exact type of issue. What I did was copy all the elements of the composition, created a new composition and pasted all the elements of the old composition to the new composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines