• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having issues importing Photoshop files into After Effects as comps in AE 2022

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues importing Photoshop files into After Effects as comps in AE 2022. I can import them as footage, but not as a comp of any kind.  I get the mac "beach ball of death" and have to do a force quit. Is anyone else having this issue? 

Reinstalled AE and PS.  Restarted multiple times.  Ended up going back to the older version.

Thoughts?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried multiple PSDs, and multiple AEPs and had the problem every time. But here's the PSD I first tried. I've reverted to last year's AE and it handles the files fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have this issue with any PSD file that I import as a composition (retain layer sizes) in AE 2022. Huge issue for my workflow. 

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nishu_kush wrote:

Hi all,

Wed love to look into this. Could you share the following details also with sample Photoshop file?

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Hi Nishu, has there been any progress on fixing this since your comment in November 2021?   I just ran into the same issue in April 2022.  My more detailed reply is above to defaultnaitvym96tna, as their workaround helped me. A proper fix would be reassuring though.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

currently having this same issue attempting to import psds as comps of any kind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue importing PS

Screenshot 2022-02-11 at 11.47.06.png

 

as comp.

PS 23.1.1

AE 22.1.1

Mac min M1 2000

16GB

MacOS 12.1

Process: After Effects [3661]
Path: /Applications/Adobe After Effects 2022/Adobe After Effects 2022.app/Contents/MacOS/After Effects
Identifier: com.adobe.AfterEffects
Version: 22.1.1 (22.1.1)
Code Type: X86-64 (Translated)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 

Date/Time: 2022-02-11 11:47:08.7394 +0100
OS Version: macOS 12.1 (21C52)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 

Time Awake Since Boot: 70000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process: exc handler [3661]

VM Region Info: 0 is not in any region. Bytes before following region: 4294967296
REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->
__TEXT 100000000-100004000 [ 16K] r-x/r-x SM=COW ...After Effects

Kernel Triage:
VM - pmap_enter failed with resource shortage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem. After updating Photoshop to 23.2.1, everytime I tried to import a PSD as composition, AE crashed. I didn´t test @MuhammedRagab  workaroud, but rolling back PS and AE versions did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I faced the same issue and found out the reason was presence of  'layer styles' in photoshop. Make sure you turn off or rasterize all the layer styles and fonts inside photoshop before importing as comp in Ae.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue, and I am on a windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you follow any of the previous solutions, are you sure you use the latest update for both AE and PS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

honestly I have no idea, I used ae 2021 to sort the files and then open the project in ae 2022, now ae 2022 can accept PSDs normally, this is weird....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had nice support from Adobe...
in fact my file was a CMJN logo which was causing my problem
Once set to RGB Mode, the layered .psd file was imported properly in AE.
Check you color mode folks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't the case for me, as I encountered an issue before where if I work with a cmyk psd the exported .gif using gif Gunn would be 10 times larger than if the file was set to rgb, same dimensions and dpi ... however I'm happy that it somehow worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having a similar problem at my work where I use a mac (don't know right now it's configurations) and today the curse fell upon my PC at home (Windows 10, Intel i7 4790K, nvidia geforce 760 32gb RAM).
If I import a PS file as comp, it just keeps loading for ever and stops responding.
Yet if I import as footage it goes fine. But to use this methode I'll need to painfully save each layer in a different archive.
I've tried updating both PS and AE to the latest version (2022), but nothing changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, I'm on a Mac, with the latest version of Ae (22.5) Importing as footage also doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround is importing the files & footage in an older version (2018), saving the project and opening it up again in the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'ts working fine for me in version 22.5.0 on an intel Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange thing, I'm on an intel Mac too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really weird because the problem comes back at least once a month. One day it happens and keeps happening for the rest of  the day, dosen't matter how many times I try.
I tried the "import as footage first, then import as comp" workaround, but it seems like it only works on the day after the problem shows up. So I can't tell if it is actually a solution or the problem just got resolved by itself.
But this week, the problem came back and didn't go away for days. I had an important work to deliver and the only solution was to save each layer in a separete archive (what took a couple of hours). Luckly there wasn't nothing that should be in specific positions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same profile and finally found that the file was CMJN instead of RGB causing all import issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop files need to be RGB and not CMYK in order to import as a multi layered comp. Maybe this is the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, what I did was imported the PSD file into After Effects 2022 (22.6) and then saved that file. I closed it then opened my AE 2023 project, then imported the AE file with the imported PSD. AND IT WORKED!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in Windows 10 btw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, and I realised I was trying to import a CMYK psd image. When I changed it to RGB mode it allowed me to import as PSD with separate layers . This sorted the issue for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines