• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Huge BUG! After effects 18.2 import bug with EXR images and sequences

Enthusiast ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest After Effects there's a serious bug with EXR images and sequences where parts of the image disappear. I do not know where to report this now that AE has changed to a voting system for feature requests. But this should seriously be fixed quickly, because this will force users to downgrade. 

See example image of what happens. I don't know if it is because the file is an obscure size (not 16:9 or whatnot) but this has never been a problem before and image imports fine in premiere and photoshop. 

Please fix!

PS! You can download this EXR image to test it if you cannot reproduce:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xazi4vu8kxxxxa6/BademiljoSquare_0004.exr?dl=0

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

I think maybe the Dropbox file has been updated to a non-tiled file, which is why I'm not seeing the problem. This bug was discovered at the end of March and Adobe hasn't updated their plug-in yet.

You can update your OpenEXR plug-in yourself by getting the latest one here:

http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donbarrum,

Thanks for sharing the file. We'll try our best to help.

I tried to import the file in After Effects at my end and I see the same issue as you mentioned. However, I didn't see the issue with the other EXR files that I tried to import. Could you check if it's happening with multiple files from different sources?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @nishu_kush thanks for replying. Yes it happens with other files as well. I did a similar project as this one last year - were I did not experience any problems then. But when I open that After effects project today in 18.2 the same issue occured. These images were rendered in 3ds Max 2019. 
But I have now tried to do some render tests in 3ds max 2022 (so different source) with simple primitives  to figure out what is going on. And it seems landscape images works fine, all the way to square. But when I render portrait images it gets chopped. So it's everything that it is taller than the width size of the image will not work. Here are 3 renders for you to see exactly that. And these images have no issues opening in Photoshop or any other program that supports exr.  

You can download them here: https://www.dropbox.com/t/yPzhLAtGr4w5M9aX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nishu_kush  I just wanted to make sure you have checked my latest post on this and confirmed that it is a bug that will be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just wanted to check if you will be looking into fixing this bug? Its quite annoying that you cannot export anything taller than square from autodesk product and import to After Effects anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening to me, only displays half the EXR file, the other half is cut off. Rolled back to 18.1 and my full image is visible. Definitely a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definately a bug yes! But seems Adobe stopped replying after I found a way to replicate the bug 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi donbarrum & Marco5C6D,

Really sorry for the delay. I exported some EXR files from Cinema 4D and didn't see any issue. We'll test with the files exported from the 3ds max as you mentioned and see how it goes.

Happy to report this if it turns out to be a bug.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @nishu_kush , 

So it seems to be a Autodesk->After Effects bug (since it also happens in Maya). The fact that the same images opens fine in Premiere and in Photoshop and also if you revert to the previous version of After Effects suggests that something was changed with how After Effects import EXR in the latest version. Also the fact that it happens consistently with every exr image that is taller than square should make it easy to pinpoint the the bug. 

The example files I gave you was was not downloaded in time, the link has expired. Here's a new link with 7 days before expiring: https://www.dropbox.com/t/QvlxaUnZSEsNktyw

I guess the reason why not more people have reported this, yet, is because its not every day you need to render portrait sized images. But more people will have problems with this over time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marco5C6D,

Are you working with the files exported from 3ds max or any other source? Also, does it happen only with the portrait images as mentioned by @donbarrum?

Let us know.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My EXRs are from Maya, yes, seams to be portrait images only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same issue as you, importing Maya EXR into AE.. only half is visible.  Its a HUGE problem.

One thing that fixed it for me was rendering it out in the media encoder and then importing that, but obviously you loose all the aovs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jammer, just do this then you can keep your plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there was a bug in the EXR module when you had a tiled image that was taller than it was wide. I think it's been fixed now. Which version of AE are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 18.2 (the current latest available). This bug did not exist before this version, at least to my knowledge. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The posted file works fine for me in 18.2.0 (Build 37) on Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, maybe its a windows After Effects problem then. It's consistently broken in Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think maybe the Dropbox file has been updated to a non-tiled file, which is why I'm not seeing the problem. This bug was discovered at the end of March and Adobe hasn't updated their plug-in yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! That fixed the problem 🙂 
I don't know what you mean with tiled file ? The dropbox files added to this thread is just regular 16bit EXR files rendered with alpha. Once the images were taller than a sqaure the rest of the image disappeared. Now with this updated EXR plugin everything worked as expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EXR files can be tiled, and only vertical files with tiles were subject to the bug I'm talking about.

The top link has a file without tiles, while the other two links have expired.

Anyway, glad the updated plug-in is working for you. It'll find its way into the AE installer eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

If you are still experiencing the issue, please test the issue on the latest beta version of After Effects.

Check out this article if you want have any questions about the beta update: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

Regards,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what about all my plugins.. it is a huge inconvenience... but I will try this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines