• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Literally can't import anything to AE 2020 - Could not read from source. (86 :: 1)

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was using CC 2018 with no issues, everything was working fine. But for the new cool features i wanted to upgrade to CC 2020. But I couldn't even try it because I can't import any kind of file. Each time it says

"Could not read from source. Please check the settings and try again. (86 :: 1)"

And then "this .xx file is damaged or unsupported"

These files work well with CC 2018 but CC 2020 doesn't accept them, tried different video formats, different codecs but it just keeps saying that. Solution provided here https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/ae-cc-error-86-1/td-p/9376397?page=1 didn't work also. What should I do? Is there something wrong with the installation of AE? Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Hi bnymnsntrk,

I'm very sorry to see you're experiencing this issue with After Effects 17.0.5. The engineering team is aware of this problem and investigating, but so far we haven't been able to recreate the issue from the information posted.

Please follow the instructions in this post and submit your system specs if possible, it would be a great help as we continue to investigate. Please try downgrading to 17.0.4 via the Creative Cloud app and see if that resolves the issue for you.

Thank

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the club. Until the next update comes and HOPEFULLY with a fix for this, your best bet is to roll back to the previous version. You say you have this problem with all kinds of files? that includes images, photos, and audio too? I have no problems with those, just with video files like mp4, m2t, mkv, and the like. I'm transcoding my video files to ProRes and those work fine, it's another step in the workflow but it will have to do for now. Here's my link reporting the issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/can-t-import-videos-after-updating-to-17-0-5-build-16/t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cause is the last update published a few days ago.

I checked the files AE cant "read". All the files are AVC h.264
Adobe makes us dow again like with CC2017, when the AVC h.264 codec was removed from the export options 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bnymnsntrk,

I'm very sorry to see you're experiencing this issue with After Effects 17.0.5. The engineering team is aware of this problem and investigating, but so far we haven't been able to recreate the issue from the information posted.

Please follow the instructions in this post and submit your system specs if possible, it would be a great help as we continue to investigate. Please try downgrading to 17.0.4 via the Creative Cloud app and see if that resolves the issue for you.

Thanks very much,

- John, After Effects Quality Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem that just started today out of nowhere. It began with one file in Premiere. Then suddenly, I couldn't import any files into any Adobe software program. Been with support for 5 hours and they couldn't solve it.

Updated graphics drivers.

Updated windows.

Uninstalled all plugins.

Removed and re-installed programs without keeping preferences.

Transcoded media using handbrake.

Rebooted 15+ times

Tried safemode.

Checked user privs.

NOTHING works. I'm effectively at a full stop with all work right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GabeT707,

I'm really sorry to see you're also experiencing this. I've sent you a direct message to see if some of the previous solutions to this issue will be of any help to you.

- John, After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem here:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2,6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB
System Firmware Version: 1731.140.2.0.0 (iBridge: 19.16.16066.0.0,0)
OS Loader Version: 540.120.3~19
Serial Number (system): C02DC65ZMD6R
Hardware UUID: 7B66719D-345D-5169-86FD-F6535E510CF9
Provisioning UDID: 7B66719D-345D-5169-86FD-F6535E510CF9
Activation Lock Status: Enabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bnymnsntrk,

Just following up on this issue, a new update for After Effects has been made available ( 17.0.6 ). Please try importing the affected files again after updating and let us know if you are still see these errors.

Thanks so much,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have Everything up to date but i cant render or connect to dynamic link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Devxr,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with render and Dynamic Link. There is a known issue with AE 17.0.6 and sending compositions to AME, is this the type of rendering you're referring to? It might be somewhat off-topic for this thread, but feel free to create a new post and tag me, or DM me if you are still experiencing issues.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to latest version and still having this issue. I can't import any files everyone gives me this error. I had a work around which was importing everything into Premiere then copying and pasting into AE but that is short lived as after saving and closing all those files that I imported all give the error message after opening back up. I've tried converting to every possible codec nothing works. And putting my projects behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to remake all the work that I make In premier, just because I can't import my after-effect intro, and primary 2019 dos not open file from 2020  WTF to That ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

في جديد بالموضوع ولا لسا ؟ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi I am having the same problem i am unable to use my fter effects file also the files are there and work is there but i not able to edit it as it always comes error file exists but unable to open to read i am not sure what to do 

my specifications of my mac book are 

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 64 GB

Boot ROM Version: 1037.80.53.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.13050.0.0,0)

Serial Number (system): C02ZT11FMD6W

Hardware UUID: E7C01F30-DDEA-5B7A-B4C3-18AF76499465

Activation Lock Status: Disabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution to the problem for myself. 86: 1 was an issue only for clips that contain audio. 
If yours is the same, then this will help you. Just move the cache folder to any external drive and the problem will go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines