• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on a path is anchored by top of text instead of bottom. Is there a way to change anchor?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm using After Effects to animation some text along a path and I'm running into an issue I can't find a solution for online.

The text I'm using seems to be anchored to the path by the top of the text rather than it the bottom of the text anchoring to the path. Because of this the text is upside down when I have it run on the exterior of the path. When I Reverse Path it is right side up, but on the interior of the path which is causing a weird overlap of the letters when it goes around the 45° angles on the corners of the path. 

On Exterior of Path:

Reverse Path Off ExampleReverse Path Off Example

Settings:

Reverse Path Off SettingsReverse Path Off Settings

On Interior of Path:

Reverse Path On ExampleReverse Path On Example

Settings:

Reverse Path On SettingsReverse Path On Settings

I've tried several things but nothing has been successful yet. One post said the issue is coming from the vertex of the mask but I've tried several times to draw the mask from different points and drawing it in different directions. I think if I could get the text to anchor from the bottom instead of the top it would solve the issue but I don't know if this is something you're able to do with After Effects.

I feel like there's probably a simple solution to this that I'm not seeing the answer to. Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Error or problem , FAQ , How to , Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

My strong suspicion:

When you created the text you dragged out a text box using the text tool - and typed. This creates 'area type'. The anchor point is in the top left corner of the text box.

What you should have done is simply clicked with the text tool - just a single click and release. Do not drag out a box. Then type. This is point type. The anchor point will then be set on the baseline -- left, centerd oir right, depending on your paragraph alignment. This will then align on your path as y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Group Alignment parameter allows you to adjust the internal Anchor Point of your Text Layer. You'll find said parameter in the Timeline, within the Text Layer's More Options section. HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean with this?  I've played with all of the options and when I use Group Alignment parameter it seems to just offset the text in weird ways or not have a noticeable effect. I attached a few screenshots of what I'm doing, not sure if I'm missing something. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 10.48.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-18 at 10.48.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-18 at 10.48.56 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I can view your Path, the issue is clear. You MUST have a curved path to prevent large auto-rotation value changes when a teach character reaches a change in path direction. The corner of your paths are all linear; hence the jery move/rotation as each text character moves across an edge.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by resetting the Character and Paragraph panels. You'll find the option under the little 3 bar menu in the top right corner of each panel. Then press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties of the text layer and reset everything so you just have left-aligned text with the anchor point in the middle of the screen and the baseline of the characters lined up with the anchor point.

Now draw a mask and set the Path Options to Mask 1. The text should now be on the inside of any closed path or start at the first vertex and proceed in the direction of the path from the first vertex.

If this does not work then check that your AE is up to date, there were some bugs that have been fixed. If the default font works but your custom font does not then it is a problem with the font that may or may not be able to be fixed using the baseline shift in the Character Panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You Rock 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My strong suspicion:

When you created the text you dragged out a text box using the text tool - and typed. This creates 'area type'. The anchor point is in the top left corner of the text box.

What you should have done is simply clicked with the text tool - just a single click and release. Do not drag out a box. Then type. This is point type. The anchor point will then be set on the baseline -- left, centerd oir right, depending on your paragraph alignment. This will then align on your path as you expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I would have found you 2 hours ago! Thank you! ❤️ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actually trying to figure out how to do the opposite and anchor my text to the top. So this helped me out as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem was solved. Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Baseline Shift in the Character panel changes the position of the text relative to the path. The Reverse Path option changes the direction of the text from the first vertex. The text will align inside the path when you have a Closed Path. That makes the text on the top of the path upside down. Reverse Path flips the text on the top of the Path right side up. Adjusting Baseline Shift moves it outside the path and fixes the squashed corner problem.

RickGerard_0-1656344424417.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines