• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to Open Preferences Crashes After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently unable to perform any work because my preferences are completely inaccessible in After Effects version 23.0

I rely on a group of plugins that do work in this (and prior) versions, but they require me to edit some of my preferences. I'm unable to access them at all to change them, even regular parts of my workflow that don't rely on plugins involve some custom preferences.

What happens?:

- Any means of attempting to open preferences in After Effects (via a dialog box or via the Edit > Preferences dropdown) results in After Effects instantly becoming unresponsive and needing to be closed forcefully

Things I've tried:

- Reinstalling After Effects

- Removing all plugins and scripts from After Effects

- Using an older version of After Effects

- Resetting the preferences on load (deleting preferences file)

- Clearing my Adobe Data

- Reinstalling creative cloud

- Restarting my computer

- Using Revo Uninstaller to remove every single After Effects file

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

NVIDIA GPU Drivers causing hangs on import and unexpected behavior: Some editors have reported problems with the NVIDIA Studio Drivers v.526.98. Roll back the drivers to v.522.xx or earlier to restore system stability.

My problem solved with the rollback to VGA driver to V522.25

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall, use the Cleaner Tool, and then reinstall.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, but I had to remove all Adobe Apps and Creative Cloud. Very bizarre problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: This didn't actually solve the problem. It worked briefly once, crashed while the preference file was open, and now it's not working again. Even using the cleaner tool and reinstalling isn't working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ryzen 5 5500

ACER RTX 2070

32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000 CL16

Seagate Firecuda 530 Pro 1TB (~8GB Free)

Seagate White Label 14TB Drive (~11TB free)

WD Black 1TB SN750 (600GB Free)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the permission as instructed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/multi/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html#

If you're on Windows, try running After Effects as administrator (right-click the After Effects icon and select Run as administrator).

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this and it didn't change the problem behaviour at all unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue. Did you manage to solve it Ivy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVIDIA GPU Drivers causing hangs on import and unexpected behavior: Some editors have reported problems with the NVIDIA Studio Drivers v.526.98. Roll back the drivers to v.522.xx or earlier to restore system stability.

My problem solved with rollback VGA driver to V522.25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem as you. Both my After Effects and Premiere had this problem. I deleted all the programs, cleaned the Windows registry, uninstalled all the plugins, restarted Windows, and installed the new version again, but as soon as I click on the menu and preferences options, the program crashed. Please let me know here if you find a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem solved with the rollback to VGA driver to V522.25

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, after downgrading Nvidia driver to version 522, my problem was solved. tnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been solved this way. Currently nvida driver has new version 536. I want to install it, please help anyone to fix this problem. Why is windows so miserable, macos don't have this phenomenon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone solved this problem? It appears to be an issue with VGA driver update as Adobe stated, when they rolled out v.526.98, it caused the Adobe (After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop) to crashed whenever you opened the "Preference" tab. Now almost a year later and VGA driver update is up to 536.67 and the same problem still persists. Almost a year and neither Adobe nor Nvdia have found a selection.  I've tried everything Adobe have recommened, update to the lastest Adobe Cloud, update BIOS system, uninstalled plugins, run as Admin, safe mode, etc... and still, any driver update above 526.98 will caused Adobe to crashed. At this point, it's annoying, if I want to played the lastest games, update VGA driver to the lastest, if I need to used After Effects and Premiere, rolled back the driver to almost a year ago at v522.25.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

x570 Taichi

64GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, GPU EVGA FTW RTX 3080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's insane right?
I'm having to use a 6 month old driver, but only for After Effects. I use
3d software like c4d with GPU renderers, and Unreal - they are all fine. It
is only after effects that cause the problem.
I can't see how Adobe is blaming NVidia or AMD for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mydaddy and @ollyv42274354,

Does After Effects crash as soon as you try to open the Preferences? Does it show any error messages or go into not responding before crashing? Does it generate any crash reports?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it just hangs. I think this is a very well documented issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind sharing a dump file for further investigation? Here's how to get the dump file:

1. Open After Effects and bring it to the frozen state.
  2. Open Windows Task Manager, find After Effects and expand it.
  3. Right-click the After Effects process and select Create memory dump file.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the screenshots from the memory dump. The minute I opened the preference window, it freezes up.  thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@nishu_kush do you have any update for us, as people have provided you logs.
It is still happening with the latest versions of AFX  (24.0.2), and the latest Nvidia Drivers (537.58). I cannot open preferences without the program hanging. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

time goes by, but the problem is not solved... Have you found any other options to solve this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My only solution is to reinstalled Nvida GeForce 3.21.06 driver from 2021, then Adobe runs great, then update to the current GeForce driver when when windows isn't working properly because the driver is outdated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until now I still use the old driver. There is no solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines