Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR / Windows 10 Pro / After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm having some severe troubles with my brand new pc workstation (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7.7820X CPU @3-60 GHz 8 Cores, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Sea Hawk, Windows 10 Pro) that is shutting down (Blue Screen, Stopcode, WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR) almost every time I'm using After Effects CC 2017. It even happened when I opened Photoshop (CC 2017). There is no recognizable reason why Windows crashes, since it happens even when I just open the preferences.

When I installed the latest nvidia drivers (also the cuda_8.0.61_win10) on friday, the system was stable for two days, but this morning it happened again. Since the machine was prepared by professionals and since all specs are okai, I assume the hardware should be fine.

Did anyone of you experienced this error as well? Does anyone have a clue, what I should do? Since I'm currently working on a project and facing tight deadlines, it's vital for me to get After Effects running again.

Thanks for your help

Best regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

SOLUTION!!

-Uninstall "Intel Turbo Boost 3.0" app

-in your BIOS, turn off "TURBO BOOST"

Works for me! Hopefully there will be an update to let us use Turbo boost wit's Adobe CC again soon, but for now, this looks to be our workaround! Let me know if you get the same result!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also... for what it's worth I think it has to do with i7-7820x.. that's what I have, and that's what I found someone else has on a different forum site. Which means I think our hardware is ok, maybe just need an update with our 7820x driver.

I was also running tests wth After effects and Premiere last week with no issues. Now I can't even open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chamby, thank you very much for your response. Good to know that I'm not the only one who's struggling with this 'thing'. And thanks for the idea with the i7 driver. I will check that as soon as possible. Thanx and good night

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION!!

-Uninstall "Intel Turbo Boost 3.0" app

-in your BIOS, turn off "TURBO BOOST"

Works for me! Hopefully there will be an update to let us use Turbo boost wit's Adobe CC again soon, but for now, this looks to be our workaround! Let me know if you get the same result!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chamby,

thank you very much for your help! I've uninstalled 'Intel Turbo Boost 3.0.' and turned off 'Turbo Boost' and so far there was no Blue Screen. Maybe it's to early to be sure, but I keep my fingers crossed that Turbo Boost was the culprit!

Yes, I would also appreciate it, if Adobe commented on this issue (since mine and yours seem to be no isolated cases)

Thanx again & best regards,

Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man, God bless you!!!!!!!!!!!   I have spent three days troubleshooting this.  Adobe support was useless.  Update your graphic drivers, they said.  You can boot up in safe mode and run premier, so that PROVES its the video card.  I was going nuts.

I have a 7820 cpu, and a NVidia 1080ti.  Your solution worked in February 21, 2018!!! means that Adobe STILL has not fixed this, and I am using the 2018 versions of the Adobe suite.

Thank you!!!!!!!  You saved my sanity.

edit: I turned turbo back on, and increased cpu voltage as stated and that works too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did not help 

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 

Radeon rx 570

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue...though the disabling turbo boost does fix it...I’m using an i9-7920 and rog strixx x299e.

I did notice that if I disable turbo in bios, then restart and start all adobe programs I can then reboot and turn turbo back on and still achieve stability.

Is the group wisdom that this is an adobe issue? Intel? Asus? Or all three?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Premier Elements 2020 and turning Turbo Boost oiff fixed it, thank you for the solution Chamby!!! Problem still exists in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HaynesHH & BT_Chamby,

Sorry that you have this issue!

BT_Chamby, thanks for providing the solution.

I'll find out if more people have this problem and file a bug. I'll also report this issue to the engineering team anyway.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RameezKhan  написал(а)

Hi HaynesHH & BT_Chamby,

Sorry that you have this issue!

BT_Chamby, thanks for providing the solution.

I'll find out if more people have this problem and file a bug. I'll also report this issue to the engineering team anyway.

Thanks,

Rameez

I do not know at soklko this information can be useful. I also do not understand why ABH's downgrade helps people. I think that this is equivalent to disabling Turbo Boost

Continuing the conversation about the curtailed capabilities of the Core i7-7820X makes one more "cloudy" moment. Processors Skylake-X became the first desktop CPU, able to work with 512-bit registers. And in theory they are able to execute 512-bit AVX-512 instructions at the same rate as 256-bit AVX2-commands. For this, there are two ways for the Skylake-X microarchitecture: on the first two execution ports, which are initially capable of processing 256-bit FMA instructions, which can now be combined to work together with 512-bit data, and also on a new 512- bit FMA device in the fifth execution port. Thus, the basic version of the Skylake-X microarchitecture theoretically allows performing up to 64 single-precision operations (or up to 32 double-precision operations) per clock - twice as much as Broadwell-E.

At the same time, to some observers Intel said that everything said is true only for processors belonging to the Core i9 class, and in Core i7-7820X the support for the AVX-512 is supposedly limited in speed, and the execution of 512-bit instructions in the fifth port is blocked. In other words, it is claimed that, although the Core i7-7820X can work with the AVX-512, it makes it twice as slow.

However, practical measurements of the performance of AVX-512-algorithms on the Core i7-7820X cause us to doubt the validity of Intel's applications. The fact is that with the inclusion of support for 512-bit instructions, real tests show the Core i7-7820X about the same speed increase as the Core i9-7900X. And this means that, contrary to the statements of Intel, the implementation of the AVX-512 from the Core i7-7820X is completely high-grade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASUS updated BIOS 0802

With him, I no longer have this problem. I think, other manufacturers will do or have already done the same thing. I do not know what it was, but I have Photoshop running and working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2017 Sep 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I seem to be suffering Form a very similar issue. After Effects bluescreens when playing the project timeline. It might have something to do with there being audio in the project, I will try something without audio next. When I use an USB ASIO audio device, instead of bluescreening, the system just freezes. Disabling turbo boost seems to solve the issue, but that is in my opinion not a permanent solution.

Specs:

I7-7820x on a MSI x299 tomahawk arctik

32gb hyperx predator 3200 cl16

Asus Gtx 1070

750W corsair rm750i

1tb Samsung 960 evo

More than enough cooling.

Please let me know if I can be of any help solving this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, this is only a temporary workaround that at least lets us work in Adobe CC without crashing. The Adobe REP in this thread has reported the issue in hopes that we will be able to use Turbo Boost with Adobe CC in the near future!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have new findings. After having heard that AVX might have something to do with the problem, I tried playing with the settings. Reducing the AVX and AVX512 offsets all the way down to -25 and enabling everything related to turbo boost again did not cause bluescreens anymore. Then I tested the other extreme, setting the offsets both to 0. This only worked when the "enhanced turbo" was deactivated, which is an MSI feature that allows all cores to boost to max frequency, defaults to auto, and is therefore enabled, which is against the intel spec. Currently I've been running on enhanced turbo enabled and AVX offset on -3 and AVX512 offset on -4 for half an hour without issues. The biggest culprit seems to be having the AVX settings on auto.

In the MSI bios, they are among the first few settings in the OC section, but only appear if expert overclocking mode is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably caused by errors in the BIOS

I’ve changed in MSI Command Center program processor Ratio:

from default

Core0 45 to 44 and

Core1 41 to 43

Other Cores without change.

What is Interesting, that  the processor works like with the default Turbo Boost Max 3.0 setting. Max 4500 MHz, Turbo Boost 4300 MHz and Boost 4000 MHz.

Since I’ve done that, Adobe programs till present moment stopped Crashes.

However, the change of Ratio in BIOS does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround posted by in post number 8 worked for us!

We have an i7-7820X with the X299 SLI PLUS (MS-7A93) motherboard and a GTX 1080 Ti.

We had issues with the same MB and CPU mid 2017 (no bluescreens but continuous crashing of Premiere and After Effects when playing around in the timeline). The solution back then was flashing the BIOS to the newest version. After that everything worked fine until today. We bought another workstation last week with the same configuration. After setting it up I first had a look the the BIOS version, which was up to date, so I opened Premiere/AE and did some tests. No problems, so I gave the PC to an artist. But when he started some encoding in Media Encoder, the computer crashed with a bluescreen and the above error. Today ME didn't even start anymore, right after clicking the icon the bluescreen appeared. After several stresstests, Win10 1803 Update and adjustments in BIOS it still happened, but changing the AVX and AVX512 offsets to -3 and -4 did the trick and the system is running since 4 hours (encoding 40 clips or so without any problems). I also enabled the Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 App again and it still works.

So thanks again and hopefully there will be a final solution at some point in the near future.

I definitely won't buy any more of these X299 MBs anymore until I know it's fixed.

Cheers Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I posted too soon. After one week without problems in Premiere and Medie Encoder, an artist wanted to render something out of After Effects and what did he see? Yep, a bluescreen...

So that AVX-workaround by robert seems to fix ME and Pr issues, but not AE.

Will try other possible solutions like Core Voltage and Turbo boost and post here afterwards.

Is anyone else still having problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I haven't seen that blue screen error since. However, in my case, I didn't adjust the AVX values directly, but instead switched my board to a 'high performance' preset. It may boost supply a few more things than just AVX voltage, so I'm not sure if there's something similar on that board you could try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2017 Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crossposting since there are multiple threads on this issue:

I have the same problem. Encoding a video in Adobe Media Encoder gives me a bluescreen with "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR". In an attempt to isolate the problem, I stress tested my system to the max with some other applications (full CPU and GPU load at highest temperatures), and NOTHING else will trigger this error except for Adobe Media Encoder.

I followed the advice in this thread, and it seems that I have eliminated the problem by setting an AVX offset of 5 in the BIOS, and also disabling "MSI Enhanced Turbo Boost as well". Interestingly, with these two modifications, I am able to keep the primary Turbo Boost functionality turned on, as well as the Turbo Boost Max application in Windows.

System:

W10 Home 64 bit
i7-7820X
MSI X299 Raider +latest BIOS
128GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 MHz

EVGA GTX 1080Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All!!

I too have the same processor with a Zotac 1070 and it's exactly the same issue on Photoshop.... However it works fine with Light room

Nothing seems to fix it so far..

I'm using a Gigabyte Motherboard and I'm unable to find turbo boost option in it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which motherboard model exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vinegarshots​ It's the Gigabyte x299 UD4

managed to find the turbo boost and disabled it however the issue persists...
I hope Adobe or someone can give me a solution asap ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try looking for AVX offset in the bios and using a value of -5 to start. I couldnt get mine stable until I used an AVX offset as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Asus Strix motherboard, and I've been able to run stable with Turbo Boost enabled and I changed the core usage to "Auto" instead of "Sync All Cores" or "By Core Usage."

Does this also also work for anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines