• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do Layers appear in alphabetical order and all the elements appear in the center

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create compositions and set layers in Illustrator but everytime when import that file in After effects, I chose the option Composition - Retain Layer Sizes. Illustrator.pngAfter Effects.pngThe layers in the timeline automatically rearranged in alphabetical order and all the elements comes in the centre instead of forming a composition. I have attached screenshots of Illustrator file and After Effects Please help! It's urgent 

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Hmmm... You should open the "illustration" composition by double clicking on it in the project panel, it looks like you created a new composition and drag all the layers into it, which is wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting preferences and deleting all cache, if it didn't work:

Does this happen with all Ai files or this specific one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your reply 

Yes it happens with all the files (Illustrator and Photoshop )

I have cleared the caches and reinstalled the software 

Still same problem has occured

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try the Beta version of Ae and see if it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... You should open the "illustration" composition by double clicking on it in the project panel, it looks like you created a new composition and drag all the layers into it, which is wrong!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing Photoshop and illustrator files as compositions, After effects create the composition for you with all the layers in those files, so you have only to double click on the created composition in the project panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I follow the same process mentioned by you. Steps I follow while creating a composition

1) I first created new composition and determined the size of the composition 

2) I double click on the project panel and import the illustrator file 

3) Drop down the layers in the timeline 

The same process works perfectly for my friends but not for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your process again but same issue has occured

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the process is: import the Illustrator file as a composition, then just double click on the composition that AE created for you, DON'T create any composition: it's already created for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are still confused by the process, just look at the end of this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez9BGTGs6cE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! 😄

The problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.  I just went through the same thing with a big layered file.  The key was, as you said, "DOUBLE CKLICK ON THE COMPOSITION THAT AE CREATED FOR YOU"  The layers were in alphabetical order, now they're in illustrator order.  Again, thanks for you help!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines