• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add back rendering support for H264 codec directly out of AE

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Around 2012 you removed the option for rendering a .mp4 file directly out of AE. Please add it back. The work around is to either render in a different codec and compress that in media encoder, or to launch the render directly from media encoder from AE (which is extremely slow and cumbersome, especially when you have large/complex project files). Not sure why removing functionality seemed like a good idea at the time...?
Idea Released
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Hi everyone,

We are extremely pleased to announce that After Effects 2023 (version 23.0) supports rendering H.264 video directly in the Render Queue, along with other highly-requested improvements like Selectable Track Mattes, new Composition Presets, and much more. Full details are available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/whats-new.html 

Thanks again for adding your votes to this request,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
75 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current H264 compression out of the render queue compresses the quality of video, whilst keeping the file size still quite large. Overall better compression would be great out of AE, rather than rendering out Lossless or ProRes4444 and then compressing using QuickTime 7 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use Adobe Media Encoder to export your compositions to H.264? The H.264 options in AME are very flexible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Tim, Media Encoder is a nice solution. Though I was wondering if H264 is offered as an output option in the render queue, it might be nice to be able to get better results rather than having to double handle a file, saving time on the user end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring back the ability to export H.264 format in After Effects. I use that codec weekly for my work. What is wrong with you people???!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects can export H.264 by adding your comp to the Media Encoder queue; can you tell us what's missing or bad about this workflow? What features do you get in AE's native render queue that you can't do by sending it to Media Encoder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of CC2018, the ability to output H264 mov's is gone from both AE and Media Encoder. This is CRUSHING my livelihood, as this is an extremely common deliverable in the world of broadcast commercials. If we can't make them, they'll find someone who can. Please put this back in the output menu!!!!!

(Secondarily, I really miss onion skinning in the paint tool from ten or so years ago. Tertiarily, it'd be great to have a panel for 'swatches,' where you can keep specific colors up at all times to be able to eyedropper them from any composition -- the current workaround is creating a composition with those colors as solids and making it tiny, placing it with your side panels and locking it, but it always goes away on restart or quit, which is a bummer.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to put in one feedback idea at a time because it makes it easier to upvote the ones you really want 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Media Encoder, you don't have to double-export. You can send your composition from AE directly to ME for encoding, and do a single export to H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes the loading to encoder is very slow! every process in "from"-"to" encoder are incredible slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing is wrong with them. Export to Media Encoder and choose H.264 and done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please re-add the h.264 codec in export settings. Thousands of editors and camera ops rely on this every day and it's daft to say that it's obsolete.

For instance - rendering out of AE takes HALF the time that it does in Media Encoder (sometimes longer if 3D and motion blur is involved). Even stranger - the codec still exists in Premiere! So the inconsistency is laughable.

Please fix this. It was an inept decision to remove it in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe they removed this. Everyone I know (viz design people) use H264. It's as if the people who build the products are completely unaware of their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello you can use AfterCodecs for that ! aescripts.com/aftercodecs/
H.264 quality / filesize is even better

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this, a million times this! Removing codecs people use for work and client projects is ridiculous. Then you contact support and they say use the media encoder. Thanks for making life harder and adding more steps. Also the media encoder sucks terribly.

This is a step backwards, so ******! Been using adobe products since 1998 and subscribed as long as I haven't been a student.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this back in! AME is slow much slower and less user friendly. I like to use AME for final delivery but for previews a quick h264 out of AE was so easy. I could be convinced to switch to always using AME if it wasn't so slow to use the UI, even though I have a very fast up to date computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this is a big bummer. I get you want us to transition to AME when opening it out of AE its soooo slow, and I have to wait minutes for Dynamic Link to sync up if it does at all.

Please bring back all the codecs you stripped out (including HAP!) or make AME more user friendly. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this codec multiple times a day as an editor/animator, absolutely devastated after updating AE and finding this codec missing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have a project that has Variable Frame Rate H.264 footage and interpret the footage to Smooth Video and then collect and transfer this project, I find that the Variable Frame Rate option has been reset back to Preserve Audio Sync!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, it was a quick alternative to get a small file rendered for preview purposes.
What is the need to remove it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better idea would be simply to add the export dialogue of AME to AE, as PPro has, so all (AE, Ame and PPro) are in harmony with the same export dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 2nd this ... I require the ability to export H264 straight from After Effects. I used to have it and it was a far superior workflow than adding an extra step to AME. Some people use AE in industries other than film and TV and the removal of H264 export form AE is a major pain **********.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be GREAT to be able to get our videos in these formats. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you need a quick preview render aescripts.com/aftercodecs/ will be even faster than the previous built-in H264 codec (use Speed=8 and Quality = 80 !)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should I have to open a second application just to export a file, when it used to work perfectly from AE render queue. It's ridiculous... There used to be tons of formats to choose from in the render queue. Now it's a graveyard.

It's like writing a document in Word, and to print it, you have to open an additional printing application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Media Encoder supports H264 in an mp4 container. Will your clients accept that as an alternative?

And you have two ways to store and eyedropper color swatches in AE: use the Adobe Color Themes panel (Window > Extensions > Adobe Color Themes) to create palettes, and you'll see them in the Libraries panel as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate