• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature request - Trim Paths as a Text Animator

Participant ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently there is no way to animate trim paths on live text. A User needs to Convert to shapes or masks and go from there. Meaning that any edits to the text become laborious.

Thos animation is a common one too, that I see a lot in titles and motion design.

Adding a "strokes Trim Paths" text animator option would be a great way to implement this, once added you set the trim path speed. then use either the range, wobbly or expression selectors to animate. And honestly I don't know why its not part of AE already. as a text animator it would have great control as the selectors have great flexibility.

C'mon Adobe.

Idea Acknowledged
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Hi @Volition74au,

Thank you for making this feature request! The ability to trim the strokes on live text would be a great addition.

You can accomplish some like this currently by applying the Vegas effect to a filled Text layer and setting the Blend Mode in the effect to Transparent. If the resulting stroke isn't crisp enough, you can instead use a linked Vegas layer to matte a stroked Text layer for a trimming reveal. Check out this example project: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/9f90040c-cdea-4f4a-58c0-5c041b752bbd

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Volition74au,

Thank you for making this feature request! The ability to trim the strokes on live text would be a great addition.

You can accomplish some like this currently by applying the Vegas effect to a filled Text layer and setting the Blend Mode in the effect to Transparent. If the resulting stroke isn't crisp enough, you can instead use a linked Vegas layer to matte a stroked Text layer for a trimming reveal. Check out this example project: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/9f90040c-cdea-4f4a-58c0-5c041b752bbdTrimmedLiveText.png

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team  

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha Nice John I cannot remember afor a long time Times new roman looking so modern and cool as in that animation. I really should revisit the typeface more. I like how you connected vegas to a stroke matte to get the clean oath. Just a simple simple solution once you see it, like so many things in AE I see. oh those two simple concepts put together solves that problem.

I have to say though I still would love to see Trim paths added to the text animator set of effects. Your effect cannot do the trim paths each word by word, Line by Line, Character, by Character in order or random perhaps and all the other juicy text animator settings  that are so easy to set up.

I just think it would be such a cool addition to the Text Animator set of properties. The text animators with range, expression and wiggle selectors are sooooo powerful! And coupling trim patrhs in there wowee.

So with that I ask that people still consider this request and upvote it if that's how it still works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I requested this feature a year ago. And am just putting it out there that it would be great to see an additional Text Animator added to the After Effects Arsenal. I genuinely think a 'text animator' that can do trim paths on text would be so powerful. 

Trim Paths are so powerful for shape layers and a valuable part of the ecosystem for motion design. So I see Text as the ultimate shapes so why not! as we haven't had a added function for a while now in the motion design section of after effects (BTW per character expressions have just been released into beta  so apart from that lol) 

I hope some users can see the power in this functionality and add some support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While not a built in feature I use the free add-on Saber from Video Copilot for this type of effect.

https://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/saber_plug-in/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback on using Saber. Which is it great plugin and free. 

My request is I suppose mostly in regards to also tying this function to a text animator. As text animators have so many variables you can use to control how the effect is applied. Range selector, wiggly selectors and expression selectors, by character, word, line,etc which are all super powerful. It would be trim paths for text on steroids.

I hope we can get some upvotes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be cool as a text animator. Especially since e haven't had any new ones added in a long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate