• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All clips on timeline start at beginning of timecode when opening old Premiere project

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my line of work, I need to open an old Premiere project on occasion to edit something that was originally completed anywhere from six months to three years ago. Most of the time, I save it as a new version to be compatible with the current version of Premiere and go about my merry way with no issues.

However, occasionally I will open a sequence from an old project and every clip on the timeline will start at the beginning of the timecode. In other words, all the in/out points are messed up with audio and video both starting from 0:00:00 in the media file. In the most recent case of this happening, only one of four sequences in the project was affected.

On my team, we store all of our projects on a network server and keep everything very well organized. Edits to any given project may be done from multiple machines but all are connected to the same server and accessing the project file from the same location.

I've tried many things to try and solve/revert this issue in the affected projects: installing the older version of Premiere the original edit was made in, copying the whole project to a local drive (taking it off the network), sending files offline and relinking (saw someone else had success with this), and exporting the XML, then imported that XML into a new Premiere project. None of these were successful. I'm tired of opening old projects only to find they're completely lost unless I want to spend hours and hours repositioning the in/out points of every single clip. 

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1706732897382.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Timecode setting is currently set to "Use Media Source." 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@codyh26838561 This sounds like a bug that existed circa Premiere Pro 23.4-23.6 in a couple different forms. Are you on one of those versions? If so, please update to the latest 23.6.2 and it should avoid this. The issue happens when you open a project and have to relink the media, and the media has a transcript with a non-0 media start time. Once you update, go back and open a project from before you started to see this and you should be good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on the latest Premiere version (24.1.0) when I encountered the most recent issue. I've experienced this probably 4-5 times over the last three years across multiple versions of Premiere. I hadn't seen it in a while so I was hoping it had been fixed, but clearly not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I never had to relink any media because we store all of our media in the same project folder as the .prproj file. So this bug does not seem to be related to linking/relinking media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue with Premiere 2024 and it happened in the middle of working on a project. Certain clips that were edited together all start at the first frame of the clip. Is there any resolution to this problem. It's a major one. The only way I got around it is opening a previously saved sequence and copy and pasting the clips with the proper timecodes back into the newer sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. I never figured out a solution for it. I had to take the exported video and make changes to that as best I could to satisfy the requested edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, I'm not sure why my username shows different now (presumably due to single sign-on updates with my employer), but I'm the same Cody as above with the blue car icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate